• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #15] Rangers at Devils — It's Been a Minute

High and Wide

6 minutes ago, torontonyr said:

Yes, but the volume is probably higher against smaller players, which is the crux of the analogy.

It doesn't subscribe intent, it merely suggests that the biggest impacts will occur due to the size differential or positioning of the opposition. He could apply the same force against equal or larger players and it would happen with less frequency.

I'm not sure how that's even debatable.

I don't even know what you're trying to debate, so I guess that means we don't need to keep talking. 

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

Whether or not he backed it up with a fight is totally irrelevant. Almost as irrelevant as total hits. We're talking about the big open ice body checks. 

If that's not the conversation you want to have because it doesn't fit the narrative you want to create, then don't engage with me. Because that's my point. If it's not your point, then you're moving the goal post and it's not an argument I'm interested in having. 

Then don't reply, pretty simple.  Im not sure why that even needs to be said. Red herrings, Twitter, etc has nothing to do with anything. You feel one way. I feel another. The end. I think the narrative is simple. Trouba hits everything. That will include smaller and larger players alike. Last night, it was a larger player. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

1 minute ago, Keirik said:

Then don't reply, pretty simple.  Im not sure why that even needs to be said. Red herrings, Twitter, etc has nothing to do with anything. You feel one way. I feel another. The end. I think the narrative is simple. Trouba hits everything. That will include smaller and larger players alike. Last night, it was a larger player. 

Well you were the one who brought up smaller players, so to me that point is irrelevant.

The monster open ice variety are all equally borderline, all among equally unsuspecting players, so I don't really care about the other 200 bumps along the glass that you are referencing.

Edited by Pete

I've seen some pretty big hitters in my day;  Guys like Scott Stevens, Denis Potvin, and Vladdy Konstantinov, to name a few.  I know it's the whole "what if it was our guy?", and I get the fact that one day it just may be our guy who gets the brunt of one of those.

I kinda keep coming back to one thing:  If that was Scott Stevens, this guy would've been dead!

I watched it several times, and it looks like he was in a very prone position with his head right around his own chest height.  Trouba's gotta take the body there in my book, Pete.  If he tries to poke check it, or sneeze on him, I think he might give up a very high scoring chance, and most likely Nozek scores.

I can understand the "predatory" tag you put on it, and I think it certainly be viewed that way.  The thing is, if I'm on the ice against him, I know what he can do if he lines you up.  I simply think that Trouba HAS to take the man there.  I guess the question or debate is "did he have to make it such a hard hit?".

35 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I've seen some pretty big hitters in my day;  Guys like Scott Stevens, Denis Potvin, and Vladdy Konstantinov, to name a few.  I know it's the whole "what if it was our guy?", and I get the fact that one day it just may be our guy who gets the brunt of one of those.

I kinda keep coming back to one thing:  If that was Scott Stevens, this guy would've been dead!

I watched it several times, and it looks like he was in a very prone position with his head right around his own chest height.  Trouba's gotta take the body there in my book, Pete.  If he tries to poke check it, or sneeze on him, I think he might give up a very high scoring chance, and most likely Nozek scores.

I can understand the "predatory" tag you put on it, and I think it certainly be viewed that way.  The thing is, if I'm on the ice against him, I know what he can do if he lines you up.  I simply think that Trouba HAS to take the man there.  I guess the question or debate is "did he have to make it such a hard hit?".

He could have eliminated the man from the play without trying to decapitate him, but he didn't. He chose to unload full force. He didn't need to. 

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

He could have eliminated the man from the play without trying to decapitate him, but he didn't. He chose to unload full force. He didn't need to. 

Ok...but how do you guage the size of the hit you make in a split second on a guy that's on the door step?  He did hit him a good shot, I agree...Do you really think he targetting his head though?  I don't see that (even though it looks like he got some chin in there); it looks like he still got a good piece of his body (Shoulder).

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Ok...but how do you guage the size of the hit you make in a split second on a guy that's on the door step?  He did hit him a good shot, I agree...Do you really think he targetting his head though?  I don't see that (even though it looks like he got some chin in there); it looks like he still got a good piece of his body (Shoulder).

Nah, I didn't mention the head at all. Just that Nosen was unsuspecting and in a vulnerable position, making the hit predatory and one that didn't need to be made the way it was made. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Nah, I didn't mention the head at all. Just that Nosen was unsuspecting and in a vulnerable position, making the hit predatory and one that didn't need to be made the way it was made. 

Gotcha...yeah...I can dig your point of view. 

The one thing that pissed me off about the Lindgren hit, is that I thought McLeod targetted his head.  Fortunately he only got him in the mouth.  Probably an "eye for an eye" kinda thing.

Just now, Ozzy said:

Gotcha...yeah...I can dig your point of view. 

The one thing that pissed me off about the Lindgren hit, is that I thought McLeod targetted his head.  Fortunately he only got him in the mouth.  Probably an "eye for an eye" kinda thing.

I didn't see that one, but Ruff mentioned it when asked about Nosen. 

There's one thing about this game that we didn't see during the playoffs, and that's that these teams are starting to hate each other again. You love to see it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

There's one thing about this game that we didn't see during the playoffs, and that's that these teams are starting to hate each other again. You love to see it. 

I do!!!  It makes the games really great.  It actually makes the league great!  I've been watching games all over the league more than I have in the recent past.  There's been some doozys too!!!  Those Edmonton games last week were pretty awesome!

55 minutes ago, Pete said:

Gangs of New York Pt II?

This is why I think the game at MetLife should have been against the Devils. The stadium is in New Jersey. Both teams are good. The rivalry is red hot again. I'm sure it will be a hard fought game against the Islanders, and it's a long-time rival, but the energy and excitement won't be as palpable. A rivalry game outside will be fun, I just think it would be more electric against the Devils.

• Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Playing a puck and making a move that close to the crease completely rules out unsuspecting player. That's utterly ridiculous.

It's borderline.  Reviewing the tape a few times it seems clearly on the legal side of borderline but it's definitely borderline.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Br4d said:

It's borderline.  Reviewing the tape a few times it seems clearly on the legal side of borderline but it's definitely borderline.

If anybody hit Kreider, Zibanejad, Panarin or Lafreniere in that way and caused a likely concussion we'd all be outraged

• Keeps it 100 1

Just now, Br4d said:

If we want to frame by frame it to see if it's an elbow, or if there's principal head contact, OK. I don't think there was, but OK, I understand it. But to deem the player as an unsuspecting one is just not accurate. He'd have to be the dumbest person alive, and in that case Trouba would have been doing him a favor rattling that noggin a bit. Free head exam - need not apply.

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

You can hit a guy without trying to kill him because he's not looking or prepared, and that's what Trouba did.

It's clearly predatory.

Definitely opportunistic. I can see the argument both ways and honestly it comes down to the defenseman throwing it. It's a personal choice how hard and how much follow through you want to give it. Trouba has laid out more people in the past two years then I've seen from anyone consistently around the league. It's his game. He takes advantage of those opportunities to send a message. Ask Timo Meier.