• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #12] Rangers vs. Detroit Red Wings — Put the Hot Wheels Away

High and Wide

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Tells me he needs a better RW to shoulder some of the load because Kreider is useless at ES. 

I think he really needs to have a different LW and a better RW.

Zib and Kreider will still play together on PP1 and PK but they do not function at a high level at 5v5.  They have a private game that they play that is very effective at keeping the opponent from scoring and that facilitates average scoring on the part of the Rangers.  It's a game of keep away and cycling and Zibanejad is very good defensively so the opponent has trouble getting things going in the OZ.  That's not a line 1 profile at 5v5.

The Rangers effective line 1 right now is Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere.  You can make a pretty good argument it should be Panarin - Zibanejad - Lafreniere.  Zibanejad's speed and defensive strength would add something there and he'd have 2 wingers looking to feed him as well as Laffy in front.

You'd sort out the other lines from there depending on who was available and who stepped up when given the opportunity.

14 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I think he really needs to have a different LW and a better RW.

Zib and Kreider will still play together on PP1 and PK but they do not function at a high level at 5v5.  They have a private game that they play that is very effective at keeping the opponent from scoring and that facilitates average scoring on the part of the Rangers.  It's a game of keep away and cycling and Zibanejad is very good defensively so the opponent has trouble getting things going in the OZ.  That's not a line 1 profile at 5v5.

The Rangers effective line 1 right now is Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere.  You can make a pretty good argument it should be Panarin - Zibanejad - Lafreniere.  Zibanejad's speed and defensive strength would add something there and he'd have 2 wingers looking to feed him as well as Laffy in front.

You'd sort out the other lines from there depending on who was available and who stepped up when given the opportunity.

I think I've seen enough of Panarin / Zib to know that while it's not terrible, it could be better. Maybe it would be with Panarin's new mindset, but I'm not sure.

When the team is healthy I'd really go back to some things we saw work already, and some experiments.

Cuylle Zib Kakko

Panarin Chytil Laf

Kreider Tro Vesey

Goodrow Bonino Wheeler/Pitlick

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

The only thing that keeps Panarin and Laf from being a truly dominant line is the defense.  The Rangers best defensive C is Zibanejad and he really needs to get going offensively at 5v5.  Giving Panarin and Laf Zibanejad kills two birds with one stone.  They'll be a much better defensive line with him in the middle and they'll also have a star-caliber C between them to feed.

I just don't see how that doesn't pay dividends for the Rangers.  Panarin on line 1a or line 2 depending on how you look at it is a joke.  He's the Rangers strongest 5v5 player on offense.

31 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think I've seen enough of Panarin / Zib to know that while it's not terrible, it could be better. Maybe it would be with Panarin's new mindset, but I'm not sure.

When the team is healthy I'd really go back to some things we saw work already, and some experiments.

Cuylle Zib Kakko

Panarin Chytil Laf

Kreider Tro Vesey

It's worth a look.

39 minutes ago, Pete said:

Cuylle Zib Kakko

Panarin Chytil Laf

Kreider Tro Vesey

I'm begging for that 1st line.

I think these are pretty well balanced.  Using Kreider on PP1, and the PK with Zib is fine with me.

49 minutes ago, Pete said:

Cuylle Zib Kakko

Panarin Chytil Laf

Kreider Tro Vesey

I would totally be okay with this, been pushing to try breaking up Kreid/Zib since the start of last season.

And that 3rd line makes me tingly......

16 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The only thing that keeps Panarin and Laf from being a truly dominant line is the defense.  The Rangers best defensive C is Zibanejad and he really needs to get going offensively at 5v5.  Giving Panarin and Laf Zibanejad kills two birds with one stone.  They'll be a much better defensive line with him in the middle and they'll also have a star-caliber C between them to feed.

I just don't see how that doesn't pay dividends for the Rangers.  Panarin on line 1a or line 2 depending on how you look at it is a joke.  He's the Rangers strongest 5v5 player on offense.

It doesn't pay dividends because youre putting your 2 best offensive players on one line and don't have much to fill out the other lines.

Kreider and Trocheck aren't enough to level out the scoring. It'd be pretty easy for teams to concentrate on the one line defensively to shut the Rangers down.