• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Any Major Transplant Recipients Here?

Patrick Bateman

Hey all, was wondering if anyone in here has had a major organ transplant as it would be good to speak to someone who’s gone through something I’m about to go through.

Last August I developed blood clots in my liver central vein that essentially killed it with no hope of it recovering. Been managing with a lot of meds and doctors visits since then but It’s looking like I’m moving up the list and can be getting a new liver sometime within the next 6 months

so yea if anyone has gone through something similar I would love to chat about recovery and life after transplant.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Hey all, was wondering if anyone in here has had a major organ transplant as it would be good to speak to someone who’s gone through something I’m about to go through.

Last August I developed blood clots in my liver central vein that essentially killed it with no hope of it recovering. Been managing with a lot of meds and doctors visits since then but It’s looking like I’m moving up the list and can be getting a new liver sometime within the next 6 months

so yea if anyone has gone through something similar I would love to chat about recovery and life after transplant.

Not me, but one of my closest friends had a kidney transplant. His quality of life increased a great deal after the procedure for numerous reasons. Dialysis took a huge toll on his body and he was pretty much fed up with it when he recieved the call. Off the top of my head the most challenging part has been the side effects from the immunosuppressants he has to take. There are also certain physical activities he's had to give up or really dial down (was an avid climber) but he's adapted. Some weight gain and a little hair loss are also things he's learning to manage.  If you have any particular questions you'd like to ask him, I can take it to him and get back to you.

I'm glad to hear you've got a good support system around you (really important) You've got this, dude. Keep us posted.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Shane Falco said:

Not me, but one of my closest friends had a kidney transplant. His quality of life increased a great deal after the procedure for numerous reasons. Dialysis took a huge toll on his body and he was pretty much fed up with it when he recieved the call. Off the top of my head the most challenging part has been the side effects from the immunosuppressants he has to take. There are also certain physical activities he's had to give up or really dial down (was an avid climber) but he's adapted. Some weight gain and a little hair loss are also things he's learning to manage.  If you have any particular questions you'd like to ask him, I can take it to him and get back to you.

I'm glad to hear you've got a good support system around you (really important) You've got this, dude. Keep us posted.

Thanks! Yea a lifetime of immunosuppressants is definitely not ideal but way better than dealing with the ups and downs from day to dat y that come with a non functioning organ.

I’d be curious to hear about time it took to feel back to their old self pre diagnosis. I know everyones different but it would be great to know if its months or years

On 11/1/2023 at 10:17 AM, Patrick Bateman said:

Thanks! Yea a lifetime of immunosuppressants is definitely not ideal but way better than dealing with the ups and downs from day to dat y that come with a non functioning organ.

I’d be curious to hear about time it took to feel back to their old self pre diagnosis. I know everyones different but it would be great to know if its months or years

I asked him about this and he said it took him about a year to feel grounded after the adjustments in routine/lifestyle. The first 6 months were the most challenging because he had to stay on top of his meds and look out for specific things just in case. He mentioned that it was difficult at times to remember he had to take it easy for a while. He’s a pretty active guy so slowing down was an adjustment.

But yeah, he said a year. To get into the flow of “a new way of living.”

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 3:17 PM, Shane Falco said:

I asked him about this and he said it took him about a year to feel grounded after the adjustments in routine/lifestyle. The first 6 months were the most challenging because he had to stay on top of his meds and look out for specific things just in case. He mentioned that it was difficult at times to remember he had to take it easy for a while. He’s a pretty active guy so slowing down was an adjustment.

But yeah, he said a year. To get into the flow of “a new way of living.”

Thanks man, i really appreciate this

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/9/2024 at 12:23 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

Transplant kicked my ass, just now getting my motor function back from December surgery. Amandas been my hero thru this

God bless; happy to see you on the better side of it!! 

Transplant kicked my ass, just now getting my motor function back from December surgery. Amandas been my hero thru this

We are all just so happy you're still here

• 1 month later...

Dude, I never come on here and I’m so sorry I missed this. I would’ve reached out with my aunts experience, but that doesn’t matter now. I’m so glad you’re recovering, you and Amanda are fucking warriors and deserve all of the credit in the world. Keep going, we are all behind you and here for anything you need. 

• Keeps it 100 1

Thanks man. The transplant part was not too bad, i would be fully back if just that. I got a nasty brain injury directly after which made recovery so much longer. Im finally walking with no help tho

really appreciate the well wishes

• Like 3
  • Applause 5

On 4/13/2024 at 10:44 AM, Patrick Bateman said:

Thanks man. The transplant part was not too bad, i would be fully back if just that. I got a nasty brain injury directly after which made recovery so much longer. Im finally walking with no help tho

really appreciate the well wishes

Thought of you the other day. I'm just glad you're here my man. 

• Like 1