• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #7] Rangers at Edmonton Oilers — Oil Spill

Drew a Penalty

18 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I knew the goal was going to get disallowed as soon as the refs took more than a few secs looking at it.

It was a relatively unimportant goal, with the Rangers up three at the time, and the game was in Edmonton.  The home team is always going to get the benefit of the doubt when the goal appears to be less consequential.

Running count is at 4 for the year!  That has to lead the NHL.

Random musings-

1. I'm getting too old or these west coast games- Fuck Charlie Huddy- we don't need a 30 minute delay for this guy to the start for him.
  2. I have no idea what a "distinct kicking motion is". 
  3. 5-2 with the Zib and FC throwing doughnuts up (coincidence that Laf is doing things- eating those doughnuts and filling the void?)
  4. Jay Woodcroft might not last till November. That team is a shitshow right now    
  5. Wheeler lives? 
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Thoughts on switching Kreider and Cuylle? Kreider and Tro seemed to have some chemistry last year. Cuylle is skating like a mad man and may benefit from some time with Zib and Kakko.

They aren't switching anything this early especially now that they are on a winning streak and playing well.

5 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

They aren't switching anything this early especially now that they are on a winning streak and playing well.

I agree, but if Zib doesn't have a goal after next week, you have to entertain the move. We've seen both Mika and Kreider get split up and find their games, then reunite and go on a tear.

I think taking one the players Mika always tries to feed off of his line might help him.

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

I agree, but if Zib doesn't have a goal after next week, you have to entertain the move. We've seen both Mika and Kreider get split up and find their games, then reunite and go on a tear.

I think taking one the players Mika always tries to feed off of his line might help him.

Kreider benefits more off of playing with Zibanejad than vice versa.  I would go far as saying Kreider hurts Mika's goal production.

• Keeps it 100 1

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't think Zibanejad has lost his game.  I think the NHL has adjusted to his game and he needs to move off of it and do something else for awhile.

The goalies are all sliding over in time to handle the one-timer from the left.  Maybe it still has some value on the power play but it's value at even strength is low.  It's one of the few shots that Kreider has no good way to interact with because you don't want to stand in front of it while it is happening.

Zibanejad probably needs to be closer to the net at this point and more in the slot.  The problem of course is that neither Kreider nor Kakko are particularly good at feeding the slot.

I think maybe the move to make is Kakko to line 3 and Wheeler to line 1.

• Keeps it 100 1

6 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Kreider benefits more off of playing with Zibanejad than vice versa.  I would go far as saying Kreider hurts Mika's goal production.

Right, that's my point. MZ always tried to feed CK and I think he'd try to feed Cuylle less, and he'd shoot more. 

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I don't think Zibanejad has lost his game.  I think the NHL has adjusted to his game and he needs to move off of it and do something else for awhile.

The goalies are all sliding over in time to handle the one-timer from the left.  Maybe it still has some value on the power play but it's value at even strength is low.  It's one of the few shots that Kreider has no good way to interact with because you don't want to stand in front of it while it is happening.

Zibanejad probably needs to be closer to the net at this point and more in the slot.  The problem of course is that neither Kreider nor Kakko are particularly good at feeding the slot.

I'm not down with Wheeler playing more minutes and taking important ice time from Kakko. The best thing for the team from a 360° perspective is keep the young players as high up in the line up as possible while not borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. I don't think the team as a whole gets better by giving Wheeler more minutes. I don't think the team gets hurt at all by moving Cuylle up and keeping Kakko right where he is. 

• Keeps it 100 1

46 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Thoughts on switching Kreider and Cuylle? Kreider and Tro seemed to have some chemistry last year. Cuylle is skating like a mad man and may benefit from some time with Zib and Kakko.

I think Cuylle and Tro have chemistry, and I’m not particularly worried about Kreider-Zibanejad. That’s a proven pairing and will be fine. I’d try Wheeler instead of Kakko though. There’s at least some concern that the Zib and Tro lines aren’t chipping in goals yet 6 games in. Maybe give it a few more games.

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Very inspiring win, and who was that guy in goal???  Kinda looked like 2014 all over again!

Just a sound victory for the boys, with Laffy ringing the bell yet again!  Some pretty good defensive work, and some great back pressure from the forwards to basically snuff out a lifeless Oilers team.

...and here are the Top 8 nominees for last night's “Ozzy Quote of the GDT”, sponsored by Quick...no, not the old chocolate drink.  The 4x6 brick wall that played in goal last night!

…and the winning quote for tonight’s GDT goes to @siddious Pete! 

I was kinda blown away at Quick's positioning all night.  He looked very "on top of his game" all night.  There were some pretty tough saves in there as well, especially when Hyman walked in all alone! 

If he can give us 25 solid games, we're going to be in great shape come playoff time!

Onward to Vancouver and yet another 10pm start.  I think I'm starting to like these late night games.  Although it's probably going to take about 2 weeks to get used to a 7pm start when we get back home!!

weak GDT.  

58 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

You can’t make it make sense, because it doesn’t. All of these are good goals in my view, and the one furthest away from a kick was Cuylle’s. P.S. I remember some

heated debate about that Flames one lol

At this point either count them all or don't count goals off skates. Make it definitive without a judgement call.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

26 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

At this point either count them all or don't count goals off skates. Make it definitive without a judgement call.

If they do this has to be offensive zone players can only score off the stick.  Goals can happen off any part of a defensive zone player.

46 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Agreed. The judgement calls on this are horseshit.

My understanding has always been that the rule exists for safety. They don’t want skate blades coming up off the ice. They could count any goals off skates as long as the skate doesn’t come off the ice, but that probably leads to more incidents where blades come off the ice simply from trying to kick at it but failing at keeping the blade on ice. I’d be ok just getting rid of skate goals altogether. Pucks can’t go off hands, so why can they go off skates? Get your stick on the puck or no goal. Simple.

Edited by BrooksBurner

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Agreed. The judgement calls on this are horseshit.

My understanding has always been that the rule exists for safety. They don’t want skate blades coming up off the ice. They could count any goals off skates as long as the skate doesn’t come off the ice, but that probably leads to more incidents where blades come off the ice simply from trying to kick at it but failing keeping the blade on ice. I’d be ok just getting rid of skate goals altogether. Pucks can’t go off hands, so why can they go off skates? Get your stick on the puck or no goal. Simple.

i think you and @RichieNextel305 should write a letter to the NHL about this and maybe ask for a nice monetary settlement for emotional disturbance and resulting impotency. 

• LMFAO 1

6 hours ago, Br4d said:

I gotta recall that the same thing happened at the beginning of the last season. The release was slower, the shot was less powerful, and we thought the one-timer was washed up. As he got into mid-season form, the zip returned and they started to beat goalies again. We'll see if this is a rerun or not. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

I gotta recall that the same thing happened at the beginning of the last season. The release was slower, the shot was less powerful, and we thought the one-timer was washed up. As he got into mid-season form, the zip returned and they started to beat goalies again. We'll see if this is a rerun or not. 

However he started hot last season with 2 goals in the 1st game and 2 goals in the 4th game and 8 pts through 4.  Then things kind of cooled off for awhile.  His longest goalless streak through early December was 4 games twice.  He had 15 goals in his first 28 games and then went 8 games without a goal.