• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

PS #5: Rangers @ Devils, 7pm — MSG, MSGSN

Phil

I have my doubts if this team will be a playoff team for the first couple months of the season. But hoping by Christmas they'll be able to figure things out and get more competitive, and try and stay within touch of the top-8 until then. The start of this season is definitely going to test fans patience that's for sure.

• Like 1

Just now, Karan said:

I have my doubts if this team will be a playoff team for the first couple months of the season. But hoping by Christmas they'll be able to figure things out and get more competitive, and try and stay within touch of the top-8 until then. The start of this season is definitely going to test fans patience that's for sure.

Especially the first few weeks. Gonna be a few rough nights mixed in.

4 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Haha, that puck was up near the 200s section when Vesey smacked that down.

As a rule, get they don't want players swinging sticks up high in fear they might clobber another player. But around the net, what's the difference really? They won't change to rule 100+ years in though. 

Don't think they're this bad but unless Igor plays out of his mind again for the season there's not too much to be all that excited about overall. They'll win their share, hopefully but they're not serious contenders and if Igor's game isn't at the very top I can see them battling it out the last few games just to make the playoffs.  Missing the playoffs isn't out of the question. The slow, lazy, uninspired, zero urgency, over passing etc. game is still their MO.

It's still early.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

Don't think they're this bad but unless Igor plays out of his mind again for the season there's not too much to be all that excited about overall. They'll win their share, hopefully but they're not serious contenders and if Igor's game isn't at the very top I can see them battling it out the last few games just to make the playoffs.  Missing the playoffs isn't out of the question. The slow, lazy, uninspired, zero urgency, over passing etc. game is still their MO.

It's still early.

If Igor is out for any extended period, they're gonna be hard-pressed to get in the playoffs. 

Just got home.....Cuylle, Trochek and scarcely Goodrow were the only ones skating tonight.  The D was horrendous and the offense is so disjointed. The effort sucks.

The only hope is that they are acclimating and it will click sometime in the beginning of the season. 

My observations from tonight:

-vincent trochek is an awful hockey player. The amount of unnecessary shit he does is hilarious. Can we please trade him for strome?

- took a friend who’s never once watched a hockey game in his life… his words “wow the rangers really are not trying to score”. Yepp sat in the devils section all night and it was pretty uneventful there. 

-will Cuylle should make this team over some vets. He has more points than panarin. 

-this team is bad. I’m not sure this is going to be such a good season at all. 

• VINNY! 1

Cuylle and gustafsson are my camp standouts. 

It’s never going to happen but the problem with this team are the several characters making 6m+ a year who are routinely passengers, not Alexis lafreniere. I don’t really care what the situation is, but if Mika, panarin, kreider, trouba and fox are going to get outplayed every game then we’re not going to win many games.

Id like to see them stop acting like passengers all the time and win a few shifts against a division rival. Lafreniere, cuylle, kakko, whoever the fuck is going to make no difference unless that group has a big attitude adjustment. A few years ago maybe they were one of the best core groups in hockey. Now they’re not even the third best in the division. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Cuylle and gustafsson are my camp standouts. 

It’s never going to happen but the problem with this team are the several characters making 6m+ a year who are routinely passengers, not Alexis lafreniere. I don’t really care what the situation is, but if Mika, panarin, kreider, trouba and fox are going to get outplayed every game then we’re not going to win many games.

Id like to see them stop acting like passengers all the time and win a few shifts against a division rival. Lafreniere, cuylle, kakko, whoever the fuck is going to make no difference unless that group has a big attitude adjustment. A few years ago maybe they were one of the best core groups in hockey. Now they’re not even the third best in the division. 

I get what you're saying, but your last sentence is a complete reach.

I'm not taking too much from the results of the preseason. The goal tending has been pretty terrible, and they are in a situation where the lines are different every game (again).

I'll be concerned if they look this bad 10 games in. 

You can't fix what was wrong in the Devils series last year by adding more vets, particularly in the age group the Rangers added vets too.

At some point the Rangers are going to have to add an infusion of kid energy to the mix and Cuylle and Othmann look like the guys to do it.

Also, yeah Lafreniere doesn't look like he's going all out but neither does half the squad including most of the highly paid vets.  And yeah I get that Lafreniere probably wouldn't have made anything look different in this game but he's not the problem on the team, even if some can't admit it because he makes such a good target.

3 minutes ago, Br4d said:

You can't fix what was wrong in the Devils series last year by adding more vets, particularly in the age group the Rangers added vets too.

At some point the Rangers are going to have to add an infusion of kid energy to the mix and Cuylle and Othmann look like the guys to do it.

Also, yeah Lafreniere doesn't look like he's going all out but neither does half the squad including most of the highly paid vets.  And yeah I get that Lafreniere probably wouldn't have made anything look different in this game but he's not the problem on the team, even if some can't admit it because he makes such a good target.

Young or old, I have huge issues with the core of this team as a whole. It was evident big time after the first two games of the New Jersey series.