• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Why the Tyler Motte-Rangers Reunion Didn't Happen

Phil

The 28-year-old has many attributes. He can skate. He plays with passion. He can be a disruptor on the forecheck. He is kind of a pest. He can kill penalties.

But Motte is not very good at self-evaluating or being able to read a free-agent marketplace. Essentially every team around the league sees Motte as a grinding, energetic fourth-liner. The 5-foot-10, 190-pound winger has never recorded as many as 10 goals or 20 points in a season over the course of his seven-year career.

On the flat-cap market, that is the definition of an $800,000-to-$1 million player. On depth charts, that is the definition of a fourth-liner.

But when Motte looks in the mirror, he sees something different. He sees a third-line winger who should be making $2M per. That was his asking price entering free agency this year.

That’s what he stuck to throughout nearly the entire summer until finally getting a deal with the Lightning, who, we have been told by a reliable informant, attempted to trade for him at each of the last two deadlines.

We’ve been told by multiple sources that Motte’s agent, Rich Evans, was not setting the agenda. The player did that. And Motte insisted he tracked as a third-liner worth $2M per. That does not make him a bad person. That does not make him greedy. It does, though, make him kind of delusional. (Motte fired Evans last month. Pat Brisson replaced him and did the deal with Tampa Bay.)

Fans want to know why the Rangers couldn’t have signed Motte for the same $800,000 for which he agreed to terms with the Lightning.

It was too late, that’s why.

The Rangers have 48 players under contract within the organization. The NHL maximum is 50.

It would be foolhardy for Drury to have only one contract slot available going into the season. Plus, out of those 48 contracts, nine could be considered fourth-liners if you include Vesey and Goodrow.

https://nypost.com/2023/09/12/why-the-tyler-motte-rangers-reunion-didnt-happen/

• Phil changed the title to Why the Tyler Motte-Rangers Reunion Didn't Happen
2 hours ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Looks like Motte has a bit of that Brian Boyle Syndrome. 

Except Boyle had size and a 20-goal season under his belt. And was, at one point, a 1st Round Pick. And he did play up on some Ranger teams, and had a reputation as a very good playoff player who raised his game in bigger spots and moments

I like Motte, I was very happy to see him re-acquired and I was hoping we’d find middle ground here. But, Brooks sounds right here. If Motte was viewing himself as something more than he is, then he’s delusional. I like the way he plays, I like his hustle and he can chip in a goal here and there. But he’s a dime-a-dozen player. He isn’t worth $2M AAV in this current market place and in a flat cap era, I’m sorry. Good player, but he’s more 4th line than 3rd. He’s never eclipsed double digit goals, he’s had several little injuries. He’s a nice little player, but him wanting $2M per year is crazy on his part.

Good luck in Tampa, but little wild thought process.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 1

Motte did start last season in the middle 6 of Ottawas lineup and did quite alright.

But he definitely can't stay healthy and he can't see that that's something that holds his value a bit lower. 

2 years in a row he has priced himself out of better money than he settled for. I think he'll do well with Tampa and probably land a good deal next offseason. 

14 hours ago, Br4d said:

The reunion didn't happen because the Rangers just didn't have the cap space to make it happen.

Lots of cheap vet signings this year for that reason.  If Motte was willing to take the same deals the vets did he was first on line.

Sure they did. They had the $800K he signed for. They just didn't have the $2M he originally asked for.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

Sure they did. They had the $800K he signed for. They just didn't have the $2M he originally asked for.

And what did I say in the post you replied too?

Lots of cheap vets signings for that reason.  If Motte was willing to take the same deals the vets did he was first on line.

I think we all pretty much like Motte, but I think we're putting this whole lot of attention on a "journeyman" 4th liner.

I think it's all about the cap this season...or the LACK OF IT in a lot of teams' cases.  I think there will be a home for lots of these journeymen players after some serious cap relief over the next 3 seasons.

I wish Motter the best.  He seemed like a good dude, and a solid Ranger for the time he was here.  I also hope to see him continue his career making some solid bucks when the time in nigh.

Just hopefully not against us and if so, at least let me have a beer in my hand so we can chug it during the Ozz Drinking Game!!

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Br4d said:

And what did I say in the post you replied too?

Lots of cheap vets signings for that reason.  If Motte was willing to take the same deals the vets did he was first on line.

Well it's confusing when you say they didn't have the cap to sign him. It wasn't a cap issue. His is issue was his asking price.

If he asked for what he signed for, then yes the Rangers had the cap. 

3 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

He’s not worth $2 million.

Love the guy, but that’s steep for him.

On a multi-year deal, he should probably be in the $1.4-1.75 per range. 

Paying more than 1.5 for a guy who is historically only playing 60 or less games and produces like a fourth liner would be a mistake. Hence why he sat out and got 800k coming his way instead.

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

Well it's confusing when you say they didn't have the cap to sign him. It wasn't a cap issue. His is issue was his asking price.

If he asked for what he signed for, then yes the Rangers had the cap. 

I'll go a step farther(and this is pure speculation); but I think if his contract demands were more reasonably in line with the marketplace(like say 1.1 million for a 1 year deal), I would think he might have even gotten that.

You have to think that a 28 year old Tyler Motte @ 1.1 million is > than a 32 year old Alex Bezile or 34 year old Riley Nash at 775K.

It's not that he was delusional for holding out for that 2 million as Larry asserts; it that he is delusional for doing it in this kind of a marketplace. Bonino and Wheeler figured that out and signed within hours of free agency opening.

Would not surprise me to see him get close to that 2 million next Summer when the cap goes up if he stays consistent and injury free. 

• Applause 1