• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Clock Is Ticking on Matthew Robertson's Rangers Future

Phil

One by one, Robertson’s peers have leapfrogged him on the depth chart.

One by one, the Rangers have brought in new blueliners to strengthen the drop-off between the NHL and AHL rosters.

One by one, the seasons have passed by without an NHL opportunity for Robertson.

Robertson is now on the last year of his entry-level contract, and, unless the 22-year-old defenseman has a major turnaround, his future with the Rangers could be in jeopardy.

Taking into consideration that a global pandemic hit in the middle of his crucial development years, and he was limited to just 22 WHL games in 2020-21, Robertson may have just needed a couple of years to readjust.

The belief is that Robertson has the right attitude to make a change.

https://nypost.com/2023/09/13/matthew-robertsons-rangers-future-lacking-clarity/

I think the depth is the problem. He's only had two pro seasons. I guess my only issue with his development is he hasn't had a cup of coffee with the NHL squad yet. But Gustafsson is a 1-year deal, I had to look up Ben Harpur's name to remember who he is so that isn't a factor, and Jones has two years but is a completely different type of defenseman.

And if Robertson goes the Hunter Skinner route to get us a deadline acquisition, so be it. That's good prospect management too. Need to give to get, and moving him doesn't impact our NHL roster.

3 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I think the depth is the problem. He's only had two pro seasons. I guess my only issue with his development is he hasn't had a cup of coffee with the NHL squad yet. But Gustafsson is a 1-year deal, I had to look up Ben Harpur's name to remember who he is so that isn't a factor, and Jones has two years but is a completely different type of defenseman.

And if Robertson goes the Hunter Skinner route to get us a deadline acquisition, so be it. That's good prospect management too. Need to give to get, and moving him doesn't impact our NHL roster.

Idk enough about Robertson to make the correlation directly but remember when we had a good center prospect that we sent for a center rental? Barron for Copp? Barron scored 21 points in 70 games last year. On par with Fil the Thrill until last year when Chytil doubled his point total. Really end around way of saying.....sending our young promising players for rentals is not good prospect management imo. Robertson maybe the next Girardi? All around solid defensive player?

I haven't seen enough of the kid to pass any judgement as to if he's worth hanging on to, but I don't know when or where he'll be able to crack the line up this season with the defense as deep as it is.

We still have Zac waiting for a shot, and a few vets that can step in and play without a hitch.  Being that we're in a "Win Now" window, I think @Morphinity 2.0 Morph is right...His time here might be waning.

Hopefully we can get something of value in return for him when/if that time comes....

He’s not eligible for waivers until next fall so I don’t really see the big deal. Let him try and figure it out in the AHL this season. Come next season he’ll have to force his way onto the roster or end up on waivers/traded. His potential is good enough that you should at least see if he’s capable of finding that next step but not high enough that any team will trade for him. He’s an internal project that presents no harm to the team.

Robertson's only likely shot with the Rangers is if they decide to move Lindgren in a cap-friendly deal.  That would be Lindgren somewhere for a decent draft pick and maybe a minor prospect instead of paying him what the next contract will be.

20 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

He’s not eligible for waivers until next fall so I don’t really see the big deal. Let him try and figure it out in the AHL this season. Come next season he’ll have to force his way onto the roster or end up on waivers/traded. His potential is good enough that you should at least see if he’s capable of finding that next step but not high enough that any team will trade for him. He’s an internal project that presents no harm to the team.

Bingo, and there will be injuries.

This feels sensationalist and desperate.

First, the Rangers know he's not a top 4 D. He's a third pair guy. They don't need him to be Lindgren, Miller, or Trouba (nice as having more than one of those would be). They need him to be marginally better than Niko Mikkola was.

Second, he's waivers exempt. Big asset, especially when the guy most likely to compete with you for a callup is basically in a "make the team or get traded" scenario.

Third - he's been steady in the AHL. Steady and unspectacular is perfect for the role he would play on this team.

He ain't going anywhere. Not yet anyway.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

3 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

First, the Rangers know he's not a top 4 D. He's a third pair guy. They don't need him to be Lindgren, Miller, or Trouba (nice as having more than one of those would be). They need him to be marginally better than Niko Mikkola was.

Second, he's waivers exempt. Big asset, especially when the guy most likely to compete with you for a callup is basically in a "make the team or get traded" scenario.

Third - he's been steady in the AHL. Steady and unspectacular is perfect for the role he would play on this team.

The forum's been dead. @BrooksBurner has no content to steal.

8 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Steady isn’t the word I’d use. He’s been inconsistent and never really the standout on his pair in Hartford. He’s kind of like Libor Hajek, though, in that his skating and size give you a hope that he might figure it out somehow. Hajek never did, but maybe Robertson will. His really needs to stick to the defensive side of the game and keep his play as simple as possible. The goal would be a poor man’s Ryan Graves. John Moore?

2 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Steady isn’t the word I’d use. He’s been inconsistent and never really the standout on his pair in Hartford. He’s kind of like Libor Hajek, though, in that his skating and size give you a hope that he might figure it out somehow. Hajek never did, but maybe Robertson will. His really needs to stick to the defensive side of the game and keep his play as simple as possible. The goal would be a poor man’s Ryan Graves. John Moore?

Hajek is not on the rangers anymore hes primed for a successful career now. 

21 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

As you are the Oracle(mean that as a sincere compliment) when it comes to prospects, was about to ask you how you sized him up compared to Ryan Graves at this point in his development?

He is another one that we flipped for peanuts, and has gone on to have a career as a middle pair defenseman. I will understand if they move on from Robertson as the Rangers are reasonably deep at the NHL level, but don't have much behind him below it and need to restock.  

53 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

As you are the Oracle(mean that as a sincere compliment) when it comes to prospects, was about to ask you how you sized him up compared to Ryan Graves at this point in his development?

He is another one that we flipped for peanuts, and has gone on to have a career as a middle pair defenseman. I will understand if they move on from Robertson as the Rangers are reasonably deep at the NHL level, but don't have much behind him below it and need to restock.  

I think Graves was further ahead at this same juncture. Graves was an AHL all star by this point whereas Robertson lost a lot of last season. I think there was a similar struggle in finding his identity as a strong skating, bigger defenseman that isn’t physical. Robertson isn’t as refined defensively as Graves was. 

The Rangers defensive pipeline wasn’t particularly deep when Graves was dealt, but he was pretty much in direct competition with Brady Skjei for an actual roster spot. He wasn’t beating out Skjei. Graves took a step back, was still hungry for a roster spot and they swapped him for Bigras who profiled similarly and had more of a reputation. Graves’ time in Colorado’s system is ultimately what unlocked the next stage of his development and made him the player that he is. 

Robertson needs a steady and healthy year. He’s at least been patient. Jones moving up/on is going to free up the 1D spot in Hartford. It’s Robertson’s if he can take it.

1 hour ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I think Graves was further ahead at this same juncture. Graves was an AHL all star by this point whereas Robertson lost a lot of last season. I think there was a similar struggle in finding his identity as a strong skating, bigger defenseman that isn’t physical. Robertson isn’t as refined defensively as Graves was. 

The Rangers defensive pipeline wasn’t particularly deep when Graves was dealt, but he was pretty much in direct competition with Brady Skjei for an actual roster spot. He wasn’t beating out Skjei. Graves took a step back, was still hungry for a roster spot and they swapped him for Bigras who profiled similarly and had more of a reputation. Graves’ time in Colorado’s system is ultimately what unlocked the next stage of his development and made him the player that he is. 

Robertson needs a steady and healthy year. He’s at least been patient. Jones moving up/on is going to free up the 1D spot in Hartford. It’s Robertson’s if he can take it.

It just killed me that they flipped him during the fire sale when they were trotting the likes of Steve Kampfer, Rob O' Gara and Ryan Sproul every night when they had an AHL All Star in Hartford.

Would it have killed them to give Graves a 10 game audition? 

Edited by MuddyInTheMiddle
  • Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

45 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

It just killed me that they flipped him during the fire sale when they were trotting the likes of Steve Kampfer, Rob O' Gara and Ryan Sproul every night when they had an AHL All Star in Hartford.

Would it have killed them to give Graves a 10 game audition? 

Probably not but Gilmour and Pionk jumped him on the depth chart. And again, he didn’t really find his game until he was in the Colorado organization. 

On 9/19/2023 at 12:07 PM, RangersIn7 said:

Wasn’t Robertson considered no better than a mid-range prospect who only had a small chance of being in the NHL for any meaningful time to begin with???

Yea I don’t remember him ever being touted as anything more than a solid stay at home who has a middling chance of making it in the NHL. 

the bigger concern for me is seeing what he can do so you can try and get assets for him if they’re not going to use him.