• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Is Ryan Lindgren's Future as a Ranger?

Message added by Phil,

This conversation is being broken out from the larger off-season thread because it warrants its own detailed discussion.

45 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The easiest way to tell the players that the gravy train is over and things are changing is to send somebody who actually wants to be here out of town for futures.

Lindgren makes a textbook sacrifice example.  He's not a core player and he doesn't have one of the NMC's.

Obviously it would be even more effective from a cap standpoint to send one of the big guns out of town and get a present return, but other than Fox and Igor there are NMC's standing in the way and I don't think the Rangers will trade either of those two unless they get overwhelmed by an offer.

Ok

But they’re not doing that over the next 2-3 seasons, cause their window is open, so it’s not worth discussing.

They need to keep him and to do so, they’ll have to commit money and term, and he’s a guy you do that with, so they will. 

21 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

This thread is WILD already. Lindgren easily replaceable? Where? With who? 

Trade a top 4 minute-muncher LD at the deadline when he's arbitration eligible? 

C'mon people. This is off the chain stuff.

It's also a potential exercise in grass isn't always greener, which both the team and us as fans routinely fall for every year. Apparently everyone's forgotten how god awful dogshit this team looked with Lindgren hurt this season? How abjectly lost and aimless Fox looked without his long-time partner?

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

19 minutes ago, Phil said:

It's also a potential exercise in grass isn't always greener, which both the team and us as fans routinely fall for every year. Apparently everyone's forgotten how god awful dogshit this team looked with Lindgren hurt this season? How abjectly lost and aimless Fox looked without his long-time partner?

I've never seen a fan base in such a rush to trade their essential players LOL. It's comical, really. There is no evidence from the team that suggests they feel they need to tell the players that the "gravy train" is over. Only certain fans think that's an issue.

And yea, Lindgren gets hurt a lot but the coaching around spatial awareness means he'll be putting himself in better spots not to get pounded.

He's also the only defenseman even remotely competent defending in his own zone off of the cycle.

He's also partner to a 2 Time Norris Candidate. I've seen this script before, where Leetch was never the same without Beukeboom. No thanks.

Money Man GIF

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

As stated, $5m is a starting point.  Pellech and Pulluck contracts are comparables.

This is a first unit D man who does his job and makes his star partner better.  I don't know how someone who actually gets paid to write about hockey thinks such a player can get signed for $4m or even less.

42 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

As stated, $5m is a starting point.  Pellech and Pulluck contracts are comparables.

This is a first unit D man who does his job and makes his star partner better.  I don't know how someone who actually gets paid to write about hockey thinks such a player can get signed for $4m or even less.

Staple is a hack like all the other Rangers journalists who don’t work for the Post.

• LMFAO 2

The Rangers can’t really pay big money long term to all 4 of Lindgren, Fox, Miller, and Trouba. Spending more than 30% or so on 4 defensemen is a surefire way to ensure you won’t have enough for forward talent, which is more important in today’s game. Lindgren isn’t the guy on that list to cut cost. We all know it’s Trouba.

• Bullseye 1
  • VINNY! 1

To me it's a no-brainer to try and lock him up for 5-5.25 X 7 years(36.75) as long as the contract is front loaded and easy to buy out in years 6-7. As someone else pointed out, you can put sweetners in it like a NMC/NTC(in the 1st 3-4 years) and make it bonus heavy so it's lock-out proof.

What is he getting on the open market? I would think like 6.5 X 5(32.5) as a high water mark.

5-5.25 X 7 years(36.75) would take him to 33 years old and make him a career Ranger. Look at the contracts that Marc Staal has been getting once that mega-deal(which was 2 years too long) that he signed expired. Unless Lingdren is going to age like Mark Giordano, the market for 31-33 year old defenseman is 750K-2 million.

14 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

The Rangers can’t really pay big money long term to all 4 of Lindgren, Fox, Miller, and Trouba. Spending more than 30% or so on 4 defensemen is a surefire way to ensure you won’t have enough for forward talent, which is more important in today’s game. Lindgren isn’t the guy on that list to cut cost. We all know it’s Trouba.

Exactly. One of these things is not like the others.

58 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I point at Mikey Anderson from LA signing long term for $4.125M and try and mirror that deal. Anderson is a year younger and has one fewer NHL season, but they provide a very similar game and production.

Anderson signed at the age of 24. Lindgren would be signing at 26. They're techncially peers, but also borderline not. Anderson's deal is on the lower end of the price scale, for sure, but the age difference makes for a significant difference in career trajectory and earning power.

Anderson will be UFA at the age of 31. Lindgren, on an eight-year deal, wouldn't be UFA again until 33.

16 hours ago, Br4d said:

Fox better figure that out because Lindgren is averaging 63 games a season over the last 4 and you don't lock that up to a long-term contract.

Can't look at average games played w/o the covid context.

'19-'20: 60 out of 70 games (rookie year, he wasn't a regular in the lineup yet and wasn't in the lineup until 10 games into the season, so this is really a season he was available every game)

'20-'21: 51 out of 56

'21-'22: 78 out of 82

'22-'23: 63 out of 82

Last year was the only year we can say he's actually missed any concerning amount of time.

Jesper Fast missed way more games, and that might have factored into letting him go. He's missed two total games the last two years. We all wish they never let him go. Mika Zibanejad had numerous concussions and missed bulks of games throughout his career. He's missed one total game the last 3 years. The point being we can't predict injuries, and this injury prone label is getting thrown around way too loosely when it comes to Lindgren. Lindgren is Fast on defense. You just don't let him go.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • CK20! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Keeps it 100 2

15 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I know it's August and we're bored as fuck...but seriously....we're not trading Lindgren.

I wouldn't get too attached to Trouba after this season, boys.  That contract is fucking OUTTA HERE after this year.  I have no problem with him as a player, as I've said before...as have many of us.  But that deal's gotta go!  End of story.  We're going to need it to keep K' and the rest.  That $8 million is going to come in handy over the next 3 seasons.  With the cap going up, it should help us keep that D core pretty much in tact...WITHOUT the $8 million dollar man back there.

No way Lindgren becomes a casualty of Trouba's massive contract.  I'm absolutely certain that Lindgren will be a staple here under Laviolette.  I look at how good he was with absolute chaos out there under Grandpa G....

I know....it's August chat and all....but Lindgren ain't the guy.  RMC's got this right in my opinion.

Edited by Ozzy

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I know it's August and we're bored as fuck...but seriously....we're not trading Lindgren.

I wouldn't get too attached to Trouba after this season, boys.  That contract is fucking OUTTA HERE after this year.  I have no problem with him as a player, as I've said before...as have many of us.  But that deal's gotta go!  End of story.  We're going to need it to keep K' and the rest.  That $8 million is going to come in handy over the next 3 seasons.  With the cap going up, it should help us keep that D core pretty much in tact...WITHOUT the $8 million dollar man back there.

No way Lindgren becomes a casualty of Trouba's massive contract.  I'm absolutely certain that Lindgren will be a staple here under Laviolette.  I look at how good he was with absolute chaos out there under Grandpa G....

I know....it's August chat and all....but Lindgren ain't the guy.  RMC's got this right in my opinion.

I'm not so sure of that. 

I think Trouba is tailor-made to thrive in a Laviolette system. I see a stacked UFA class that will command less money, but more term than Trouba. I see an 8m cap hit and a 6m salary - that's not enough of a delta to get another team to bite. I also see a rising cap and nearly nobody needing a real payday except Lindgren and (hopefully) Kakko.

Short of Trouba basically getting told he's losing control on July 1, so accept what comes....I think he's here through next season. Now, when Miller is due....ask me again.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I'm not so sure of that. 

I think Trouba is tailor-made to thrive in a Laviolette system. I see a stacked UFA class that will command less money, but more term than Trouba. I see an 8m cap hit and a 6m salary - that's not enough of a delta to get another team to bite. I also see a rising cap and nearly nobody needing a real payday except Lindgren and (hopefully) Kakko.

Short of Trouba basically getting told he's losing control on July 1, so accept what comes....I think he's here through next season. Now, when Miller is due....ask me again.

I'm kind of with you that I see no significant changes being made on the blue line for the next 2 years. I think it will be between Trouba and Miller when Miller's contract is up. They don't know what Miller is yet. I know people are generally confident about him, but nobody really knows if he progresses/stagnates/regresses. In combination with Trouba thriving under Laviolette, Miller could all of a sudden be the odd guy out they don't want to pay. Schneider also plays a role in the decision.

The reality is nobody knows who is going to click under Laviolette and who won't click. There's going to be players in each of those buckets, and there's probably going to be at least a couple of surprises in either direction.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Right now I'm right there with you pulling for Trouba to get flushed out, but I think we have to see how the year goes.

You can call me Larry.

• LMFAO 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Can't look at average games played w/o the covid context.

'19-'20: 60 out of 70 games (rookie year, he wasn't a regular in the lineup yet and wasn't in the lineup until 10 games into the season, so this is really a season he was available every game)

'20-'21: 51 out of 56

'21-'22: 78 out of 82

'22-'23: 63 out of 82

Last year was the only year we can say he's actually missed any concerning amount of time.

Jesper Fast missed way more games, and that might have factored into letting him go. He's missed two total games the last two years. We all wish they never let him go. Mika Zibanejad had numerous concussions and missed bulks of games throughout his career. He's missed one total game the last 3 years. The point being we can't predict injuries, and this injury prone label is getting thrown around way too loosely when it comes to Lindgren. Lindgren is Fast on defense. You just don't let him go.

It feels like Lindgren's injury issues are a play style choice.  Generally that does not get better as a player ages.

He's going to have to make some choices about his play style if he wants to last long-term.