• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lafreniere Likely to Sign Two-Year Bridge Deal

Phil

The inconclusive state of Lafrenière's development has him headed toward what multiple people familiar with the situation told lohud.com, part of the USA TODAY Network, is believed to be a two-year bridge deal.

The obvious comparisons are the contracts that his linemates, Chytil and Kaapo Kakko, received at the same stage of their careers. Both followed their third NHL season by signing two-year pacts, with Chytil netting $2.3 million per season while Kakko landed at $2.1 million.

Lafrenière's point production has been slightly better − 0.42 points per game in his first three seasons, compared to 0.38 for Chytil and 0.37 for Kakko − so it stands to reason that he'll come in a bit higher with his AAV. Figure around $2.5 million, give or take a few hundred thousand.

That wouldn't break the bank for the Rangers, while giving No. 13 the next two years to prove that he's worth much more. He'll turn 22 around the time the new season starts − a reminder that there's still plenty of room for growth before we draw any rash conclusions.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2023/05/24/ny-rangers-alexis-lafrenire-kandre-miller-rfa-contracts/70247665007/

• Thanks 1

• Phil changed the title to Lafreniere Likely to Sign Two-Year Bridge Deal

I know a lot of people are underwhelmed, as they should be. And yeah, he has shown hardly any flash yet. I get that. But I still say giving up on this kid so early would be a potentially brutal mistake. I’m glad they seem on track for a bridge deal, and I’m excited to see if he can finally get going. We need him to produce.

• Like 1

I'm a bit worried we might see the Canadiens give Laffy a hard to match offer sheet.  They could put him at LW1 pretty easily and on the powerplay which is an opportunity he would likely jump at.  It's also the home team for him.

Most teams probably would not make an offer because they'd worry the Rangers would be offended *and* match which is a terrible combo.  However the Canadiens have very little to lose and it's a high risk/high reward situation for them.  If it worked it might significantly accelerate their rebuild.

Edited by Br4d

5 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I'm a bit worried we might see the Canadiens give Laffy a hard to match offer sheet.  They could put him at LW1 pretty easily and on the powerplay which is an opportunity he would likely jump at.  It's also the home team for him.

Most teams probably would not make an offer because they'd worry the Rangers would be offended *and* match which is a terrible combo.  However the Canadiens have very little to lose and it's a high risk/high reward situation for them.  If it worked it might significantly accelerate their rebuild.

They have about $9M in cap and need to sign Caufield. and then 3 other forwards. How much do you think they can offer Lafreniere, that the Rangers wouldn't match?

5 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Bro you'd happily take the offer sheet comp for a 1OA at this point, but it's not gonna happen.

What is going to happen is we'll have a good value contract for two years. 

Offer sheet comp is tied to the salary. Comp on a $3M contract would be like a 2nd rounder. 

Even if a team pushed to get Laf via an offer sheet that got us a 1st rounder back - the team making the approach matters too. I'm far more likely to match an OS from Colorado than I would be from Anaheim.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

They have about $9M in cap and need to sign Caufield. and then 3 other forwards. How much do you think they can offer Lafreniere, that the Rangers wouldn't match?

They have paths to create more cap space pretty easily. Hoffman has one year left and a buyout nets them $3.3M more in cap this season in exchange for a 1.6m dead cap hit the following year. If they really wanted Lafreniere enough to offer sheet him and lose picks, performing a buyout wouldn't be a hold up.

A 4 year $4.2M offer sheet that walks him right to UFA would 1) only be a 2nd round pick in compensation, and 2) put the Rangers in a tough spot because they would certainly match it, but it's really bad for two reasons. It puts them in a tight cap bind now, and they have a flight risk to worry about at the end of contract, giving away all leverage in future negotiations. 

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

They have paths to create more cap space pretty easily. Hoffman has one year left and a buyout nets them $3.3M more in cap this season in exchange for a 1.6m dead cap hit the following year. If they really wanted Lafreniere enough to offer sheet him and lose picks, performing a buyout wouldn't be a hold up.

Is there a pathway to getting their 2024 second-round pick back from Arizona? If not, Montreal's options are to offer sheet Lafreniere at under 2.2m (which we immediately match) or risk (given the Canadiens status) handing us an unrestricted lottery pick in 2024 for Lafreniere.

10 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

That depends on what the contract is, because we'd likely match anything close to $3M and compensation matters, they don't have all their picks.

I don't see them offering Lafreniere upwards of $4M, and then point remains they need to sign Caufield and 3-4 other forwards. Fairly sure they are more worried about paying Caufield than Lafreniere, and he'll cost more too.

I just don't see it. But I'm not going to have yet another "well it's not likely, but it's possible so let's spend 9 pages on it." debate 🤣

Edited by Pete

2 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Is there a pathway to getting their 2024 second-round pick back from Arizona? If not, Montreal's options are to offer sheet Lafreniere at under 2.2m (which we immediately match) or risk (given the Canadiens status) handing us an unrestricted lottery pick in 2024 for Lafreniere.

Good call out. They'd have to get it back, or move up to the next $ range that costs a 1st and 3rd. They just finished bottom 5 and can't upgrade their roster much, so that's pretty unlikely for them to be OK losing an unprotected 1st.

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

That depends on what the contract is, because we'd likely match anything close to $3M and compensation matters, they don't have all their picks.

I don't see them offering Lafreniere upwards of $4M, and then point remains they need to sign Caufield and 3-4 other forwards. Fairly sure they are more worried about paying Caufield than Lafreniere, and he'll cost more too.

I just don't see it. But I'm not going to have yet another "well it's not likely, but it's possible so let's spend 9 pages on it." debate 🤣

Fair. I would guess Montreal goes long term on Caufield. Probably in that $7M range. They might need to buy out Hoffman just to fill out the rest of their roster.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Good call out. They'd have to get it back, or move up to the next $ range that costs a 1st and 3rd. They just finished bottom 5 and can't upgrade their roster much, so that's pretty unlikely for them to be OK losing an unprotected 1st.

Yeah, they're not likely to be in that target space.

I also think anything short of that 4.3m line, we match. It's at that point where it gets ugly and we start thinking about a trade or just taking the compensation. And this just isn't the draft I'd want compensation in - the 2024 draft looks like a rough one.