• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Clayton Keller's Future in Arizona Unclear

Phil

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I like this...I can dig that.  Like Pete Siddious said...may not be 110 points, but it gets in and can play a playoff style...as long as our coach isn't a fucking steaming turd.

I don't understand why anyone thinks it wouldn't be 110 points, it's basically the same top nine they went through last season with.

I run it back out with a real plan, stop changing the lines every five games, and they added some grit.

Everyone's trying to find that prick to play in the top nine, well that prick is Goodrow. He's underutilized on the fourth line. 

• Like 1

I don't see how a guy with no there there in his game gets promoted to the top line with Kakko who only looks much better when compared to Laf. Imo doesn't matter who the coach is that's a not good enough threesome. Downright depressing right off the bat unless we're in the let's let it play out another 3-5 more years to see where he/they land as some have suggested.  For now I think you end up handicapping Mika even more. 

Still really hoping they can mix up the roster while bringing in a coach with a system, a couple defibrillators and lots of turd polish for the gaps in how the roster was put together. I don't see Igor being able to continue carrying this group on his back. I don't think Scotty Bowman has enough tricks up his sleeve to hide all the warts. 

I hope to be proven  wrong I'd love to eat endless servings of crow. 

Keller is a stud, and the top Coyotes line is dynamic and fun to watch - he's got great chemistry with Schmaltz.  After those 2 players, production drops off significantly.  The Coyotes are in a terrible position if they lose him, and are in a tough trade position with other teams to get a comparable player.  

https://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20222023&seasonTo=20222023&gameType=2&playerPlayedFor=franchise.28&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,goals,assists&page=0&pageSize=50

18 hours ago, Pete said:

The answer lies within.

Laf Zib Kakko

Panarin Chytil Goodrow

Kreider Tro Vesey

Cullye Brodzinski Motte

I still wanna see Othmann on the right with Panarin.  I know he's a LW.  He's an aggressive as he'll forechecker.  He's got a fantastic lefthanded shot.  Coaching should eliminate his need to think.  Blow people up on the forecheck. Go to this spot and look for Panarin's pass.

That would bump Goodrow and Vesey down.  Goodrow and Trocheck together would be so annoying to play against.  With a coach actually paying attention to matchups, Kreider's speed with Trocheck and Goodrow's faces would annoy the hell out of the opponent's top line.

• Applause 1

22 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

I still wanna see Othmann on the right with Panarin.  I know he's a LW.  He's an aggressive as he'll forechecker.  He's got a fantastic lefthanded shot.  Coaching should eliminate his need to think.  Blow people up on the forecheck. Go to this spot and look for Panarin's pass.

That would bump Goodrow and Vesey down.  Goodrow and Trocheck together would be so annoying to play against.  With a coach actually paying attention to matchups, Kreider's speed with Trocheck and Goodrow's faces would annoy the hell out of the opponent's top line.

I don't mind trying that, but not next year. It's a lot to ask Othmann to step into that role, as a rookie he should not be asked to step in and defend his line mates the way Goody can.

He's also going to need AHL time to improve his skating and adjust to the speed of the game. Maybe the season after next that can work. Right now, his skating is really not even CHL level. @Drew a Penalty can elaborate. 

23 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

I wouldn't call Othmann an aggressive as hell forechecker. He's calculated. He's limited by his footspeed so he tries to attack opportunistically. I don't think he'd be a good fit unless his skating really improves.

Just now, Pete said:

I don't mind trying that, but not next year. It's a lot to ask Othmann to step into that role, as a rookie he should not be asked to step in and defend his line mates the way Goody can.

He's also going to need AHL time to improve his skating and adjust to the speed of the game. Maybe the season after next that can work. Right now, his skating is really not even CHL level. @Drew a Penalty can elaborate. 

Yeah, Othmann needs time. He cheats a lot offensively and defensively because he's such a poor skater. He's more cerebral than I think people understand. He'll sometimes seem disengaged because he's trying to figure out how to make himself useful in the play given his speed. He's not the type to constantly attack simply because he can't. He's looking for little moments to pick a pocket or lay a hit that can open up a play. 

I also just don't think he's appropriate in a Goodrow or Fast type role yet because he's a particularly weak defender.

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

He's got 3 months to work with a skating coach.  I'd at least say he has the size, willingness,  and attitude even though his skating need to catch up.  😎

Maybe he'll grow some but right now he's 6', 181#. That's kinda average. 

2 hours ago, Long live the King said:

I'm in. If Othmann is somewhat ready, there's lots of potential spots. 

Really like the idea of Goodrow with Trocheck and Kreider. 

Just not into Lafrenière getting top line minutes/spot.  Honestly just not into Lafrenière anything. 

It's complicated. I want Panarin with Chytil. But I don't want to saddle Zibanejad with Fatso Lafrenière. 

Panarin- Zibanejad-Othmann is cool. But Othmann on the top line? I'd love it. You're going to get plenty of pushback from a few people here. 

How about Lafrenière with Trocheck?  Lafrenières supposed knack as a set up man for tap ins infront of the net could work with the only player left that goes to the net consistently. Goodrow on the right would be good for that too. 

This can keep Panarin with Chytil and Kreider keeps Zibanejad in his comfort zone. Othmann on either combos right would be fantastic. 

Besides never wanting to see Panarin with Trocheck again, I didn't like Kakko with Zibanejad and Kreider at all. From what I remember, they possessed the puck great, but they generated nothing. It was a lot of passing down low that never translated into anything good. For as much as I like Kakko,  I don't know where the hell he fits as the only RW that should be in the top 6. Panarin doesn't want to play with him. Maybe a new coach puts an end to players preference...

On 6/3/2023 at 12:48 AM, Pete said:

I don't understand why anyone thinks it wouldn't be 110 points, it's basically the same top nine they went through last season with.

I run it back out with a real plan, stop changing the lines every five games, and they added some grit.

Everyone's trying to find that prick to play in the top nine, well that prick is Goodrow. He's underutilized on the fourth line. 

I did say "May not".....

I am hoping it "will be" though!!!  LOL

There really isn't any reason why they wouldn't even be better.  The only thing I'm thinking is it may take a while for them to adjust to playing a particular system, especially going from pretty much "wing it!".