• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Clayton Keller's Future in Arizona Unclear

Phil

13. Clayton Keller gave Arizona a month or so to provide him with direction about the future, on and off the ice. On is much easier: the Coyotes were more competitive than expected and are loaded with draft picks. There is no desire to move backward. Another team’s manager says GM Bill Armstrong has a line: “They can’t stop us from drafting.” 

Off…well, who knows? It’s all guesswork and God knows if there’s any way to figure it out in 45 days. To this point, Keller is not asking for a trade. But, stay tuned. If he’s available, there will be a first-day Guardians of the Galaxy 3 style lineup. Think they are also being asked about Lawson Crouse

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-whats-next-for-leafs-flames-after-front-office-changes/

I've been a big proponent of Keller's since before he was drafted so I'd be interested just because of that. 15th in the league in 5v5 points and solves the RW problem. His $7.1M cap hit is honestly a bargain if he produces at P/GP or above. If the Rangers can find a way to make the move for him, they should.

9 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

They just traded Chychrun so I’m not sure they would turn around and have interest in Miller.

Laf for Keller is probably the Brassard for Zibanejad deal in reverse for the Rangers.

They traded him because he asked for it. They may be happy to replace him. 

12 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

They just traded Chychrun so I’m not sure they would turn around and have interest in Miller.

Laf for Keller is probably the Brassard for Zibanejad deal in reverse for the Rangers.

Unless it’s just to rid themselves of money, I don’t see how Arizona is trading Keller straight up for Laf. 

• Bullseye 1

55 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Waste Management Open fits right in with his lifestyle. 

That 16th hole crowd....  Damn, I gotta be there at least once in my lifetime to see that first hand, Bugg!  😃

On 5/24/2023 at 8:04 AM, Drew a Penalty said:

I've been a big proponent of Keller's since before he was drafted so I'd be interested just because of that. 15th in the league in 5v5 points and solves the RW problem. His $7.1M cap hit is honestly a bargain if he produces at P/GP or above. If the Rangers can find a way to make the move for him, they should.

And 11th in ES points. The underlying metrics are good for the team he's on. He'll be 25 over the summer, and from what I've seen he plays quick. I'm not sure if he has "high end top speed", but he plays and gets around quick.

This is probably the kind of guy you part with 2 of Lafreniere, Chytil, Miller for.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

10 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

And 11th in ES points. The underlying metrics are good for the team he's on. He'll be 25 over the summer, and from what I've seen he plays quick. I'm not sure if he has "high end top speed", but he plays and gets around quick.

This is probably the kind of guy you part with 2 of Lafreniere, Chytil, Miller for.

Absolutely. $7.1M is $600k more than Kreider gets but for a P/GP player. Keller is more of what the NHL is trending toward with speed and skill. He's Kane-lite. He's the type of player you take a risk moving someone like Miller.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Absolutely. $7.1M is $600k more than Kreider gets but for a P/GP player. Keller is more of what the NHL is trending toward with speed and skill. He's Kane-lite. He's the type of player you take a risk moving someone like Miller.

I’ve had Miller at 4.5M. Add Goodrow’s 3.6 moved out in a separate deal makes 8.1M. That’s Keller plus 1M to replace Miller (Zac Jones?).

I don’t think Miller is enough for Keller. Adding Lafreniere or Chytil is probably overkill, but Arizona is also armed tooth and nail with draft picks for the next 3 drafts. I could see the Rangers taking back draft capital for the purposes of deadline deals. Add Lafreniere and Arizona adds a couple of 2nd round picks.

Miller/Lafreniere for Keller/2 2nds?

24 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I’ve had Miller at 4.5M. Add Goodrow’s 3.6 moved out in a separate deal makes 8.1M. That’s Keller plus 1M to replace Miller (Zac Jones?).

I don’t think Miller is enough for Keller. Adding Lafreniere or Chytil is probably overkill, but Arizona is also armed tooth and nail with draft picks for the next 3 drafts. I could see the Rangers taking back draft capital for the purposes of deadline deals. Add Lafreniere and Arizona adds a couple of 2nd round picks.

Miller/Lafreniere for Keller/2 2nds?

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4225488

image.png

If the cap goes up more than $1M, you can put someone more appropriate than Othmann on the third line to let him develop. Or get a better option than Mikkola so Jones isn't thrown to the wolves.

27 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4225488

image.png

If the cap goes up more than $1M, you can put someone more appropriate than Othmann on the third line to let him develop. Or get a better option than Mikkola so Jones isn't thrown to the wolves.

I could probably get behind this roster, but I’d have to think about it. It cock blocks the hell out of Kakko on the PP pretty permanently, unless the new coach is smart enough to get creative instead of overloading PP1.

18 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I could probably get behind this roster, but I’d have to think about it. It cock blocks the hell out of Kakko on the PP pretty permanently, unless the new coach is smart enough to get creative instead of overloading PP1.

Kreider

Zibanejad       Trocheck       Keller

Fox

Cuylle

Panarin           Chytil           Kakko

Jones

10 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Kreider

Zibanejad       Trocheck       Keller

Fox

Cuylle

Panarin           Chytil           Kakko

Jones

I want to take Trocheck on a cross-Pacific ship cruise and have him conveniently get left stranded on a deserted island. After that, put Kakko in the bumper. Two birds, one stone!

Just now, Phil said:

I want to take Trocheck on a cross-Pacific ship cruise and have him conveniently get left stranded on a deserted island. After that, put Kakko in the bumper. Two birds, one stone!

I would, but Kakko feels totally inappropriate in the bumper. He's not a quick shooter and is more of someone who needs space to control the puck. He works better on the wall.

• Keeps it 100 1