• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Rangers Need a Right-Wing (Again)

The Dude

So. As of this date, the Rangers roster makeup for next season, looks a lot like this past season and the season prior. 

Kaapo Kakko is the teams only legitimate top 6/9 RW on the roster. 

I say 6/9 because I'm not sure he has any chemistry with Zibanejad.  It was tried for a stretch and it looked pretty lame. Then there's the fact that Panarin has said in the past, that he doesn't want to play on a line with Kakko. Maybe these observations can change.

There's also the possibility of shuffling the deck a little if they decide (finally) that Kreider-Trocheck works better than Panarin- Trocheck . Which would mean 2 possible solutions. Panarin- Zibanejad, or Panarin-Chytil.  One creates a hole on the LW of Zibanejad. Obvious next men up are Lafrenière or Goodrow (you say Vesey, you die). 

Anyway. No matter what. The Rangers need at least one RW.  They don't have a player in the system that jumps out at you that is ready for the NHL that has been playing RW.

The free agent list doesn't look very good besides Tarasenko,  whom they can't afford.  Maybe Kane at a crazy discount as he sits on the LTIR. I honestly don't see either as an option. 

So, if they can't luck out and get either of those 2, it's looking like they may need a trade. 

Now, what type of player does everyone want to aquire? Can we agree what ever player they get from here forward, needs to be a physical type? With the extra attribute of good skater or scoring ability (would love both, but the cost.....) 

Just to break up the anger of the disappointment of losing to the stupid Devils, I think there needs to be a thread for ideas on who the Rangers could or should target. Maybe there's a free agent I'm not seeing.  Maybe an RFA. Trade ideas...

The offseason is already upon us folks. Bring some names. Let's talk RWs. 

Edited by The Dude

Oh man, I'm just gonna disappoint you right off the bat.

The answer to this question is probably Chris Kreider.

For all of the reasons you listed - a shit FA pool, no cap, do you really want some of these RWs reportedly for trade, etc - he has to be the first ask. His game is completely and entirely side-agnostic and his key value is as a special teams god. Does not matter if he's playing RW or LW at all, so he can go RW on Mika's line, bump Lafreniere up, run Panarin-Chytil-Kakko, do something like Othmann-Trocheck-Vesey (talk about an annoying fuckin line)....boom goes the dynamite.

If we manage to open some cap, I'd be happy to bring in Alex Killorn or Corey Perry on the right contracts.

• Like 1

Really a shame we don't have a RWer that thinks he's better than he is and bolted to his home country instead of accepting an AHL assignment after having an injury-ridden pre-season...wait.

It's probably gonna be some combination of Goodrow, Vesey, or some other bottom barrel guy. Colin Blackwell has another year with Chicago at $1.2M. 

It'll be back to some combination of

Kreider-Zibanejad-Kakko/Vesey

Panarin-Trocheck/Chytil-Kakko/Vesey. 

Edited by Cash or Czech

1 minute ago, Cash or Czech said:

Really a shame we don't have a RWer that thinks he's better than he is and bolted to his home country instead of accepting an AHL assignment after having an injury-ridden pre-season...wait.

It's probably gonna be some combination of Goodrow, Vesey, or some other bottom barrel guy. Colin Blackwell has another year with Chicago at $1.2M. 

It'll be back to some combination of

Kreider-Zibanejad-Kakko/Vesey

Panarin-Trocheck/Chytil-Kakko/Vesey. 

I couldn't be any less excited about the prospect of watching this top 6 again. Swapping Trocheck to Chytil isn't moving the needle enough, if at all.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

I couldn't be any less excited about the prospect of watching this top 6 again. Swapping Trocheck to Chytil isn't moving the needle enough, if at all.

Until the cap has a significant increase in 2024/25 and/or we can move out contracts like Trouba's, this is what we're stuck with. 

We really have to hope a new coach solves our problems because we aren't getting any new players in the top-6 anytime soon.

10 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

For all of the reasons you listed - a shit FA pool, no cap, do you really want some of these RWs reportedly for trade, etc - he has to be the first ask. His game is completely and entirely side-agnostic and his key value is as a special teams god. Does not matter if he's playing RW or LW at all, so he can go RW on Mika's line, bump Lafreniere up, run Panarin-Chytil-Kakko, do something like Othmann-Trocheck-Vesey (talk about an annoying fuckin line)....boom goes the dynamite.

If we manage to open some cap, I'd be happy to bring in Alex Killorn or Corey Perry on the right contracts.

I pushed hard for Kreider to the right last year for this exact reason.

I see nothing in his ES goal shot chart this year that doesn't just reinforce that opinion further:

spacer.png

• Bullseye 1
  • The Chyt! 1

5 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Until the cap has a significant increase in 2024/25 and/or we can move out contracts like Trouba's, this is what we're stuck with. 

We really have to hope a new coach solves our problems because we aren't getting any new players in the top-6 anytime soon.

8 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

I was thinking Lafrenière to the right. Kreider with Trocheck, if there's nothing out there. Opens up some new combinations. 

I'm trying to find a way to keep Kreider with Trocheck,  because I feel that duo brings a different element to the lineup. 

That pins Panarin with any combination of players. Zibanejad,  Goodrow,  Chytil,  Lafrenière, Othmann, Cuylle,  Vesey and I guess Kakko.  Just keep him the hell away from Trocheck  

In reality I really just want to trade Lafreniere for a legit hard nosed Rw that can play top 6. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

But dontcha know the new coach will make them all skate better/harder/faster in his system (whatever that is) and all the problems will go away like magic.

Just ask Pete he'll tell you.

40 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I was thinking Lafrenière to the right. Kreider with Trocheck, if there's nothing out there. Opens up some new combinations. 

I'm trying to find a way to keep Kreider with Trocheck,  because I feel that duo brings a different element to the lineup. 

That pins Panarin with any combination of players. Zibanejad,  Goodrow,  Chytil,  Lafrenière, Othmann, Cuylle,  Vesey and I guess Kakko.  Just keep him the hell away from Trocheck  

In reality I really just want to trade Lafreniere for a legit hard nosed Rw that can play top 6. 

Which of our top 9 players do you believe Panarin has chemistry with at this point?

The only player on the roster that I think he really has chemistry with is Adam Fox and that's because they are so good at playing keepaway with the puck in the offensive zone.

2 hours ago, Br4d said:

But dontcha know the new coach will make them all skate better/harder/faster in his system (whatever that is) and all the problems will go away like magic.

Just ask Pete he'll tell you.

It's not just me, it's pretty much everyone else who understands hockey. 

Like this GM. Who I trust way more than I trust you and your opinion LOL. 

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Which of our top 9 players do you believe Panarin has chemistry with at this point?

The only player on the roster that I think he really has chemistry with is Adam Fox and that's because they are so good at playing keepaway with the puck in the offensive zone.

It remains to be seen. We'll see what happens when everybody on the roster isn't freelancing.

2 hours ago, Br4d said:

He has chemistry with Zibanejad (they connect on the PP and didnt look bad as a regular line when Gallant mixed things up). Maybe a little with Lafrenière as he didn't look terrible on the RW in a short experiment earlier this season.  At times he clicked with Goodrow when he was slotted up.

The guys an incredible playmaker. He should be able to play with most anyone. Somehow, Trochecks wild shooting style didn't work well with him. If I remember correctly the metrics said otherwise,  which is why I really don't go by any of that. 

Panarin is here to stay unless they take on a similarly large contract of a player that hasn't exactly worked out elsewhere. The only name I can think of that would almost make sense in a swap would be Tavares. That's doubtful.  

12 hours ago, The Dude said:

Then there's the fact that Panarin has said in the past, that he doesn't want to play on a line with Kakko.

I think this is a bit overblown. I think that was said sometime during Kakko's rookie season and I don't think you'll find a single NHL player that wanted to play with rookie Kakko. He was literally among the worst skaters in the entire league that year. He's not the same player anymore.

I want Kakko on the right of Mika and I want Kreider with Trocheck.

Panarin - Zib - Kakko

Kreider - Trocheck - Vesey

Lafreniere - Chytil - X

X - Goodrow - Motte

It's ugly lol, but we don't have many options here.

Edited by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc
  • Keeps it 100 1

17 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He has chemistry with Zibanejad (they connect on the PP and didnt look bad as a regular line when Gallant mixed things up). Maybe a little with Lafrenière as he didn't look terrible on the RW in a short experiment earlier this season.  At times he clicked with Goodrow when he was slotted up.

The guys an incredible playmaker. He should be able to play with most anyone. Somehow, Trochecks wild shooting style didn't work well with him. If I remember correctly the metrics said otherwise,  which is why I really don't go by any of that. 

Panarin is here to stay unless they take on a similarly large contract of a player that hasn't exactly worked out elsewhere. The only name I can think of that would almost make sense in a swap would be Tavares. That's doubtful.  

Zib was fine with Panarin and Tarasenko. 

3 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I think this is a bit overblown. I think that was said sometime during Kakko's rookie season and I don't think you'll find a single NHL player that wanted to play with rookie Kakko. He was literally among the worst skaters in the entire league that year. He's not the same player anymore.

Panarin - Zib - Kakko

Lafreniere - Chytil - X

Vesey - Goodrow - Motte

I completely agree with this, I'm with your lineup. 

• Phil changed the title to The Rangers Need a Right-Wing (Again)
56 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Panarin - Zib - Kakko

Lafreniere - Chytil - X

X - Goodrow - Motte

It's ugly lol, but we don't have many options here.

It's this, or Jesper Fast again for the same role as Vesey is in here.

Laugh-Zib-Kakko

Panarin-Chytil-Fast

Kreider-Trocheck-Vesey

You can swap Kreider and Laugh if it fails out of the gate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

It's this, or Jesper Fast again for the same role as Vesey is in here.

Laugh-Zib-Kakko

Panarin-Chytil-Fast

Kreider-Trocheck-Vesey

You can swap Kreider and Laugh if it fails out of the gate.

I like this lineup, but I just don't see them be able to afford Fast without moving a contract. Maybe that's Goody, enter Brodzinski, that makes for an awfully weak fourth line. 

• Bullseye 1

I know we all love Quickie and want him back, but I have a hard time thinking we can afford him.

If this playoffs of his keeps up, he's getting paid somewhere between Goodrow and Coleman. That's not a number we can add in FA - it's maybe a number we can make a deal to open space for, though.

Just now, Pete said:

I like this lineup, but I just don't see them be able to afford Fast without moving a contract. Maybe that's Goody, enter Brodzinski, that makes for an awfully weak fourth line. 

Yeah, it's oddly still kinda fantasy thinking. We've basically talked about trading Goodrow for futures (no cap coming back) and then just giving Fast the same deal. That's kinda what I'd hope for here. It makes the top-six better (Panarin specifically), but it definitely weakens the fourth line.

Just now, Phil said:

Yeah, it's oddly still kinda fantasy thinking. We've basically talked about trading Goodrow for futures (no cap coming back) and then just giving Fast the same deal. That's kinda what I'd hope for here. It makes the top-six better (Panarin specifically), but it definitely weakens the fourth line.

It depends on the new coach and the fourth-line philosophy he wants to use. I think you can build a capable fourth line from Hartford (+Motte or whatever) with the right talent-to-task match.

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

Goody and Fast are the same entity as far as boxcar goes. Might was well move up Goody and then see if you need a RW later. 

I just hate that we keep trying to solve top 6 RW at the deadline. 

• Keeps it 100 2