• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Gallant Agree to Part Ways

Phil

Just now, Keirik said:

Honestly, if there were exit interviews that threw Gallant under the bus, I sure hope Drury takes notes on those guys because they may need to go too. This isn’t all on the coach. 

Agree.

But remember it’s telling both ways.

• Keeps it 100 1

Really the only move they could make. Somebody's head had to roll and he's the sacrificial lamb, but I can't believe that tweet that player exit interviews had something to do with it. You assholes didn't show and you're pointing the finger at the guy that got us back into the playoffs and to ECFs, for that matter, with two of the best regular seasons in team history? Have some damn culpability.

I will say though, I know NOTHING of what went on behind the scenes, so it of course could be that they had very legitimate gripes. But from my standpoint, Gallant's biggest mistake was changing nothing and constantly saying he liked our game when the Devils adapted after Game 2. They figured their shit out, and GG just stuck with the plan. No urgency whatsoever. He's obviously not a great in-game tactician.

But...this was really the only move. All of the contracts I'd like to see gone are essentially unmovable anyway. We're limited in the "statement" we can make here beyond just window dressing. 

Edited by Ranger Lothbrok
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

Correct, but he's likely to be the only scapegoat. Somebody had to pay for the heartless effort. The problem is way bigger than him, but now one less excuse to be used. Half these guys will fold like a cheap suit if they bring in a guy with balls who's up their ass not tolerating their picking and choosing when their going to show up. At least there was some fools gold in last year's playoffs. Drury is equally to blame imo for building a flawed team with ultimately little heart and baby shit soft and fragile. 

Bring on the 4th coach since 2018!

Wasn't that the same.reason why JD and crew got fired 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Honestly, if there were exit interviews that threw Gallant under the bus, I sure hope Drury takes notes on those guys because they may need to go too. This isn’t all on the coach. 

So true. there is a team that failed to show up to a game 7 against a rival team.

• Like 1

It’s probably going to be Q because Drury just put himself in the line of fire next if he’s wrong on this. It’s the safest pick from a hockey standpoint. I’ve backed off on wanting it to happen after @jsrangers mentioned some stuff about that Chicago situation though. Even besides that, he’s also 65 and been out of the game a couple years. I’d probably like to see an up and comer with pro hockey coaching experience rather than an aging retread.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

It’s probably going to be Q because Drury just put himself in the line of fire next if he’s wrong on this. It’s the safest pick from a hockey standpoint. I’ve backed off on wanting it to happen after @jsrangers mentioned some stuff about that Chicago situation though. Even besides that, he’s also 65 and been out of the game a few years now. I’d probably like to see an up and comer with pro hockey coaching experience rather than an aging retread.

Knob.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Knob.

Lol. I’d be fine with it but I was being somewhat sarcastic when I said it earlier because it’s such a long shot to happen. That’d be some big balls by Dru. It would either make him GM here for about as long as he wants, or fired within two seasons. Hard to see an in between there. If he hires Q and they don’t manage a Cup win, he can say look, I hired one of the best coaches the game has ever seen and the guys who were given conteacts with NMCs before I became GM just couldn’t get it done. That might save his job.

26 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I’d be ok with Knoblauch too. Seems to have the elements that make a good NHL coach.

It would also put a guy that has to work with young players behind the bench.  I really think whoever they bring in has to be adept at working with young players.  The only way the Rangers get better from where they stand right now is if the young guys grow into leadership positions.

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

Lol. I’d be fine with it but I was being somewhat sarcastic when I said it earlier because it’s such a long shot to happen. That’d be some big balls by Dru. It would either make him GM here for about as long as he wants, or fired within two seasons. Hard to see an in between there. If he hires Q and they don’t manage a Cup win, he can say look, I hired one of the best coaches the game has ever seen and the guys who were given conteacts with NMCs before I became GM just couldn’t get it done. That might save his job.

Drury has to win.  He doesn't have to win a cup but the Rangers need to be in that top 4 conversation by 2025.  Maybe next season they can go 100 pts and out in the first two rounds but the season after they'd better be a favorite to win it all.

That means not only does the team have to put up wins but they have to do it the "right" way with real contributions from some of the young guys.  If Mika and Kreider are still the heart of the team in 2025 something went wrong.

5 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Drury has to win.  He doesn't have to win a cup but the Rangers need to be in that top 4 conversation by 2025.  Maybe next season they can go 100 pts and out in the first two rounds but the season after they'd better be a favorite to win it all.

That means not only does the team have to put up wins but they have to do it the "right" way with real contributions from some of the young guys.  If Mika and Kreider are still the heart of the team in 2025 something went wrong.

If he doubles down on this core he has to win a Cup within 2 seasons. Especially if he trades a kid and we watch them blow up somewhere else. It would be the easiest GM firing in the history of the franchise.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

5 minutes ago, Br4d said:

It would also put a guy that has to work with young players behind the bench.  I really think whoever they bring in has to be adept at working with young players.  The only way the Rangers get better from where they stand right now is if the young guys grow into leadership positions.

1 minute ago, Br4d said:

Knob is fine if they go that way.

Yes, he’d be a 1st time NHL coach, but he has legitimately 15 years of high-level coaching experience. 
He, reputedly and in track record, has all the things you need and want in a HC. And he’ll have a vet on his staff, plus Allaire. And he’s adept at getting good results from players, tactically/situationally aware, strong in his matchups, and good at managing personalities. He’s a strong and viable candidate who has had success at every level he’s been at. 

I believe they’ve had some interview requests on him too. 

And he’s coached stars too. Had McDavid in Junior. 

20 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I got a guy for you..

His name is...

David Quinn..

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1

I think when you are up 2-0 in a playoff series and you drop two games; you make drastic roster changes. Kind of like when your team plays eons better in front of the back up. Scratch a top 6 forward who is underperforming. It'll draw scrutiny but damn if that wouldn't motivate the bunch.

I honestly do not see Knoblauch being the guy Drury goes with. Drury was assistant GM since 2016 so that already puts him in the room for many acquisitions. He’s 2 years into being “the guy” now and likely is the next highest common denominator for every result from here on out. I also understand that he says that there is no rush but he’s going to want to get a guy in ideally by draft time in case any trades come up. That’s in June. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I honestly do not see Knoblauch being the guy Drury goes with. Drury was assistant GM since 2016 so that already puts him in the room for many acquisitions. He’s 2 years into being “the guy” now and likely is the next highest common denominator for every result from here on out. I also understand that he says that there is no rush but he’s going to want to get a guy in ideally by draft time in case any trades come up. That’s in June. 

Seems like they’ve been grooming him though. 

honestly might not be the obvious move, but might be the right one. I can get behind this. 

9 minutes ago, siddious said:

Seems like they’ve been grooming him though. 

honestly might not be the obvious move, but might be the right one. I can get behind this. 

Maybe, but if they were grooming him I’d have thought they went with him right after Quinn instead of a win now guy that has a small shelf life. I can’t see them going with a guy that lacks significant NHL experience. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Maybe, but if they were grooming him I’d have thought they went with him right after Quinn instead of a win now guy that has a small shelf life. I can’t see them going with a guy that lacks significant NHL experience. 

Maybe wanted him to get more experience or thought they were ready to win so went with someone experienced.

if they don’t hand over the reigns I also wouldn’t be surprised to see him as an assistant 

50 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Knob is fine if they go that way.

Yes, he’d be a 1st time NHL coach, but he has legitimately 15 years of high-level coaching experience. 
He, reputedly and in track record, has all the things you need and want in a HC. And he’ll have a vet on his staff, plus Allaire. And he’s adept at getting good results from players, tactically/situationally aware, strong in his matchups, and good at managing personalities. He’s a strong and viable candidate who has had success at every level he’s been at. 

I believe they’ve had some interview requests on him too. 

And he’s coached stars too. Had McDavid in Junior. 

Institutionally they know they let Sullivan leave the building and watched him take the Pens far. And they don't want the next big thing get away again. Q is a bit too much of a headache. One that would die relatively quicky, but a headache.

9 minutes ago, siddious said:

Stupidest thing I’ve ever seen weeks Post. But who the fuck knows anymore. I don’t have any answers. 

Depends. If Drury had a close relationship with Roy as a teammate and after, you can't discount the possibility. 

I think Dolan is in on this though.  They're going to try to make a play for Quennville or go for the heartstrings and bring in a Ranger icon like Messier. 

Then again this reeks of a move that is done because they are talking to a guy thats available and wanted. 

Please be Laviolette. 

Edited by The Dude