• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Gallant Agree to Part Ways

Phil

31 minutes ago, jamsim1967 said:

39 minutes ago, jamsim1967 said:

Regarding this team, and the coach, I don't even have to post anything, I can just look for you, and agree.

I will say this though, coaches do not go out and win 100 plus points their first two years with a new team without coaching. We don't know what's said on the ice, the bench, or in the locker-room, but I can guarantee you, GG was saying something. And I can also guarantee that everything you and I have been addressing, GG was addressing as well. Why? Because he was the head coach. It's his, and his coaches jobs to notice. It's not like he was tossing the puck on the ice at practice, and saying we've got the ice for the next two hours, have fun. Can't wait for the new guy, and his system, to become acquainted with this team ... yawn

"We don't know what's said, but I can guarantee what was said"... Got it. 

Edited by Pete

The vet collapse in the series after game 2 was pretty complete.  The kids didn't tally anything.  It was Igor at the Alamo for most of games 3,4,6 and 7.

I don't have a problem with GG getting canned but there is a major vet entitlement problem on this team and it's infecting the kids.

If I was GM I would find a way to trade Panarin, period.  I'd look really hard at who else might have been here a bit too long and gotten too comfortable.  I'd do what I could to sign Tarasenko, making the process of finding a new home for Panarin critical.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

38 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The vet collapse in the series after game 2 was pretty complete.  The kids didn't tally anything.  It was Igor at the Alamo for most of games 3,4,6 and 7.

I don't have a problem with GG getting canned but there is a major vet entitlement problem on this team and it's infecting the kids.

If I was GM I would find a way to trade Panarin, period.  I'd look really hard at who else might have been here a bit too long and gotten too comfortable.  I'd do what I could to sign Tarasenko, making the process of finding a new home for Panarin critical.

When the entire team collapses and you get contributions from nobody at all, that's a coaching problem and it's clear as day.

The team didn't go from one of the best to one of the worst in a matter of two weeks. Period. Hard stop. The devil's had a plan and they executed it flawlessly, and the Rangers had no answer. 

I've never heard so many fans say that went 20 players don't show up, it's only one player's fault and they should trade him, but let's not look at the coach at all.

Thankfully Drury has more sense than this. 

Edited by Pete

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

This Rangers team should have beaten the Devils in five games. New Jersey is good, but this team could have and should have handled them. If they make even the slightest of adjustments to match the Devils, this series would have been over in short order.

This is it, and it's really plain as day.

Nobody on the team showed up, and nobody on the team lost any ice time. You can complain that stars didn't show up, and they didn't, but what was done about it? Nothing.

The players didn't show up nothing was done about it

The other team made an adjustment nothing was done about it

This all happened last year and nothing was done about it

I'm glad this year Drury did something about it. 

5 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

This Rangers team should have beaten the Devils in five games. New Jersey is good, but this team could have and should have handled them. If they make even the slightest of adjustments to match the Devils, this series would have been over in short order.

sure but what kind of adjustments? 

It's simply amazing to see how poorly the Devils goalies and defense are handling rebounds.  Had we gotten more pucks to the net, with some traffic for a more prolonged time frame, we could've had a lot less of an issue.

I won't even get into breakout plays and 5v5 defending. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

46 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Taking the body a bit, the power play, how about a good defensive scheme? Shit like that.

Kreider, Panarin, Kane, Miller, Fox, Chytil, Zibby all non-physical players.  Big Kakk isnt physical either.  

Cant much blame GG for 5 all stars failing to produce on PP. 

Defense wasnt bad in the POs. Aside from Miller sucking and Fox causing turnovers that we were scored upon, overall team defensive play was not too bad.  I think they were leading the league in GA.  

problem is the make up of the team which is fine for the regular season but not suitable for POs.  When more than half of your forwards are perimeter players, you get a first round exit.  No coach is going to make Panarin or Kane drive hard to the net

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 2

10 hours ago, lefty9 said:

You think they turn  these Ballerinas into a tenacious group 

No. But with Gallant gone, I don't want a camp counselor. I want someone who demands the players be held accountable. I don't think it's to much to ask for. 🙂

• Applause 1

11 hours ago, Br4d said:

You're not getting Tarasenko at any discount without his buddy Panarin here. 

If they can trade Panarin,  it would have to be for an equally paid "under performing" player. If Toronto flops, you'd think they might start shaking up the roster. They'd probably want out of that Tavares deal. You want him? That's really the only situation where I could maybe see a team taking Panarin or Panarin OK'ing a trade anywhere. It leaves Toronto pretty weak at center too, so I don't see that happening ...

Edited by The Dude

Just now, Br4d said:

Panarin isn't going to be in a strong position even with the NMC.  Flopping in the spotlight tends to weaken people.

Tell it to Mats Sundin. 

He holds all the cards, and that's the bottom line. 

• Bullseye 1

38 minutes ago, Pete said:

Tell it to Mats Sundin. 

He holds all the cards, and that's the bottom line. 

Yes and no. The Rangers can make it very uncomfortable for him if they want to go a different route, as they should, and he doesn't work with them. He doesn't seem like the type to want to stay with a team who doesn't want him.

33 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yes and no. The Rangers can make it very uncomfortable for him if they want to go a different route, as they should, and he doesn't work with them. He doesn't seem like the type to want to stay with a team who doesn't want him.

And yet there's no indication that the team doesn't want him, which makes it a moot point.

He holds all the cards. The only way he's getting moved is if he asks management for a trade. Until that happens there's nothing to discuss. 

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

And yet there's no indication that the team doesn't want him, which makes it a moot point.

He holds all the cards. The only way he's getting moved is if he asks management for a trade. Until that happens there's nothing to discuss. 

I wouldn't expect something like that to become public, and if it did, not this close to the end of their season while the playoffs are still only in the 2nd round.

For the good of the org, you better start hoping they have the ability to move him, because dumping Gallant and doing something like replacing Lafreniere with another $2.5M player is hamster running on the wheel type stuff. Ain't going anywhere.

Edited by BrooksBurner

18 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I wouldn't expect something like that to become public, and if it did, not this close to the end of their season while the playoffs are still only in the 2nd round.

For the good of the org, you better start hoping they have the ability to move him, because dumping Gallant and doing something like replacing Lafreniere with another $2.5M player is hamster running on the wheel type stuff. Ain't going anywhere.

Only fans think it's a good idea to move a guy like Panarin right now. You don't remove the guy when you would describe him at his lowest value, which means you will have to retain the most salary and take back the most salary, so that it's not even a cost savings...

Let alone the fact that he gets you to the playoffs every single year, you find a way to make him successful in the playoffs. You can do that either by coaching or by getting him like mates. Or maybe you don't let his linemates walk out the door like they did with Strome and Fast. They let those guys go for no reason at all, they didn't even get more money elsewhere, and there's an impact. Trocheck was markedly worse than Strome and he has no injury to blame. Now they're trying to replace a Fast-like object and they don't have a C that works with Panarin. 

Why would they replace Lafreniere when they can just pay him the 2.5? God knows he's not worth more than that. 

But at the end of the day, I'm pretty sure they're not going to get another coach that's going to try the guy you hate out for 22 minutes every night unless he's performing. And what you may think is performing might be different then what the coach thinks is performing. Because there is a lot of metrics out there that are saying Panarin was creating offense and it just wasn't amounting to production.

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Only fans think it's a good idea to move a guy like Panarin right now. You don't remove the guy when you would describe him at his lowest value, which means you will have to retain the most salary and take back the most salary, so that it's not even a cost savings...

Let alone the fact that he gets you to the playoffs every single year, you find a way to make him successful in the playoffs. You can do that either by coaching or by getting him like mates. Or maybe you don't let his linemates walk out the door like they did with Strome and Fast. They let those guys go for no reason at all, they didn't even get more money elsewhere, and there's an impact. Trocheck was markedly worse than Strome and he has no injury to blame. Now they're trying to replace a Fast-like object and they don't have a C that works with Panarin. 

Why would they replace Lafreniere when they can just pay him the 2.5? God knows he's not worth more than that. 

But at the end of the day, I'm pretty sure they're not going to get another coach that's going to try the guy you hate out for 22 minutes every night unless he's performing. And what you may think is performing might be different then what the coach thinks is performing. Because there is a lot of metrics out there that are saying Panarin was creating offense and it just wasn't amounting to production.

Fast is a legitimate point and was a bad mistake by Gorton. Panarin was special his first season here with Fast on his line, and he has had good seasons since then but never replicated that first year. I was shocked at how Gorton treated Fast. This entire board was dumbfounded he let him go over one extra year on a dirt cheap AAV deal. It's interesting because now if you take a step back, Gorton made a lot of bad moves. Probably more bad moves than good moves. He signed Shattenkirk and that required a buyout. He overpaid for Trouba both in trade cost and contract. He traded Stepan for a 1st and drafted Lias Andersson with it. He got hosed on the McDonagh trade. He got hosed on the Zuccarello trade. 90% of the positive stuff was laid into his lap with no effort, Fox, "winning" the draft lotteries, etc. The only two great moves I can think of were the Nash trade that got Lindgren, and the Strome trade. Panarin was still a great move, as there was no way to know he'd bust so hard in the playoffs, but JD and the big city landed Panarin. Gorton didn't have to do anything.

Re: Lafreniere, that's what's been floated around here as an option by some. There's only a handful of different guys who can be moved out to free up cap to even change out spare parts. Lafreniere, Kakko, Chytil, Miller, and Goodrow. In a vacuum, I think Goodrow is overrated, but by the same token they need more players of his ilk, not less. I'm not sure what it accomplishes by swapping him out with another $3.5M player if all else remains the same.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Fast is a legitimate point and was a bad mistake by Gorton. Panarin was special his first season here with Fast on his line, and he has had good seasons since then but never replicated that first year. I was shocked at how Gorton treated Fast. This entire board was dumbfounded he let him go over one extra year on a dirt cheap AAV deal. It's interesting because now if you take a step back, Gorton made a lot of bad moves. Probably more bad moves than good moves. He signed Shattenkirk and that required a buyout. He overpaid for Trouba both in trade cost and contract. He traded Stepan for a 1st and drafted Lias Andersson with it. He got hosed on the McDonagh trade. He got hosed on the Zuccarello trade. 90% of the positive stuff was laid into his lap with no effort, Fox, "winning" the draft lotteries, etc. The only two great moves I can think of were the Nash trade that got Lindgren, and the Strome trade. Panarin was still a great move, as there was no way to know he'd bust so hard in the playoffs, but JD and the big city landed Panarin. Gorton didn't have to do anything.

Re: Lafreniere, that's what's been floated around here as an option by some. There's only a handful of different guys who can be moved out to free up cap to even change out spare parts. Lafreniere, Kakko, Chytil, Miller, and Goodrow. In a vacuum, I think Goodrow is overrated, but by the same token they need more players of his ilk, not less. I'm not sure what it accomplishes by swapping him out with another $3.5M player if all else remains the same.

Agree with a lot of this. My hate for Gorton goes way back. Well, maybe not hate, but I was certainly not a fan, for a lot of reasons you listed. 

I think I've said before, I'd run this team out with a new coach and change very little. I think the talent is there. But if we need to trade guys, there are just guys who have a bad brand (like Lafreniere), or guys that you move to open cap and send a message and I threw out Kreider because it would shake the room and also you can move him and wind up with more cap relief than Panarin IMO. I don't want them to trade him. He's just the more moveable object. So is Laf. I'm keeping Miller because he's the best of them. That's my $.02.

Agree on Goody, he's metrically terrible but somehow usually passes eye test and they'd be trying to replace him, just like Fast.