• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Gallant Agree to Part Ways

Phil

He doesn’t deserve the hate he will get from a big part of this fanbase. It’s the right decision, but not because GG is a horrible coach.

Thanks for everything GG! You lead us out of the darkness and back where we belong. It’s been a lot of cool games and memorable moments over the last two years and we had our best season since 2014.

No bad words about the guy. Not the right guy for this group of players at the moment, but he’s been good enough to deserve respect from the fans.

Now go get Q.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

Wow!  I saw the possibility but I didn't really think this would happen.

Presumably the Rangers already have the next coach in negotiations and they just delayed GG's firing until they had some certainty on that side.

This is a high risk/high reward situation.  If the Rangers improve next season the rewards will kick in but if they take a step back I would not want to be Drury.

2 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

He doesn’t deserve the hate he will get from a big part of this fanbase. It’s the right decision, but not because GG is a horrible coach.

Thanks for everything GG! You lead us out of the darkness and back where we belong. It’s been a lot of cool games and memorable moments over the last two years and we had our best season since 2014.

No bad words about the guy. Not the right guy for this group of players at the moment, but he’s been good enough to deserve respect from the fans.

Now go get Q.

Basically this.

Had his positives and negatives. Will definitely get more hate than he deserves here. End of the day, I think the writing was on the wall. Because unless we came out at like a 20-2 clip to begin next season, whispers would turn to screams for his job.

So on to the next one we go. My guess is it has to be Quenneville. I feel like Laviolette may not have a lot left in his engine.

9 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Wow!  I saw the possibility but I didn't really think this would happen.

Presumably the Rangers already have the next coach in negotiations and they just delayed GG's firing until they had some certainty on that side.

This is a high risk/high reward situation.  If the Rangers improve next season the rewards will kick in but if they take a step back I would not want to be Drury.

Drury is with the right team to take a step back

6 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

K cool, but you guys have to stop being mentally fragile babies. It can’t always just be on the coach. This group needs to grab their sack if they wanna take the next step. It doesn’t matter who’s behind the bench.

Gallant wanted the players to roll up their sleeves, play hard  and they threw him under the bus? It's a good question.

Edited by jamsim1967

I’m okay with this but there needs to be some player fallout as well, after the new hire has input. 

I like GG but found myself missing AV even 😀

Edited by mbob
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, jamsim1967 said:

He could say "depends on the effort of the those on the ice"

That answer gets you fired because as coach you are expected to guarantee that your players put out on the ice.