• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

It's Time to Have the Lafrenière Conversation

Phil

44 minutes ago, Pete said:

Agree with lot of this, would move Chytil to RW before Tro. Just let him concentrate on scoring and not defensive responsibilities. 

Agree it would be better to move Chytil to RW but the Rangers seem hell bent on him being a center.

42 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Agree it would be better to move Chytil to RW but the Rangers seem hell bent on him being a center.

Outside of a 39% face off percentage I don’t think he’s a bad center. Faceoffs can be improved. 

this team always refuses to develop centers for some reason

6 minutes ago, siddious said:

Outside of a 39% face off percentage I don’t think he’s a bad center. Faceoffs can be improved. 

this team always refuses to develop centers for some reason

Well ,they have something  in common with the jets ,the jets can't develops quarterbacks 

• LOL 1

On 5/2/2023 at 6:50 PM, Phil said:

Nail Yakupov.

I just reviewed 20 years of first overall picks, from 2000 to 2019.  I would say Yakupov will be the only bigger bust than LaF, even if LaF becomes a solid player.  Basically, the range is from excellent impact player to generational talent.

43 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

I just reviewed 20 years of first overall picks, from 2000 to 2019.  I would say Yakupov will be the only bigger bust than LaF, even if LaF becomes a solid player.  Basically, the range is from excellent impact player to generational talent.

Yes but you couldn't say that at all as of their 21 years.  We just played a guy in Hischier who had everybody guessing after 3 seasons in the NHL.

57 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Well, shit that's comforting. How about 2OA's, nevermind wrong thread and don't even want to know.

Edited by jsrangers

I got sucked in to watching some pre-NHL Lafreniere tape tonight. First thing I noticed is it's not really a surprise he didn't light the NHL on fire. A lot of goals were just being able to loaf by bad defenseman for breakaways without having to skate very hard. The skating isn't there on the tape. It never was and it boggles my mind that scouts didn't seem to harp on that enough as a big problem for how easy transitioning to the NHL would be. There's no way this kid's skating was ready to make an impact in the NHL, and it's still behind where it should. I think he's improved some, but not nearly enough.

Anyway, I was mostly looking through tape to look for indicators about how he was used on the PP. I saw him all over the ice. Left dot, right dot, around the point (where Fox is). He seemed to make a lot of positive plays being near the middle of the ice between the slot and point, where he could drift down towards the net with the puck on his stick for a shot or pass. The vision and especially the shot is there, both forehand and backhand, and it's not really a surprise that through his 1st 3 seasons he has scored at a reasonably good pace at even strength. What he's never had here is being put in an advantageous spot on the PP to utilize the strongest parts of his game. The Rangers have to get him more involved. It might lose them some games initially. It also might not. But it has to happen before making a decision on his future.

My initial thought is actually different than where I was thinking I'd put him. I would have had him on the left dot, now I'm actually thinking the bumper spot would provide him a good area of the ice to take shots and also have some freedom to move around the ice.

Kreider

Zib Laf Kakko

Fox

That should be PP1 next year.

58 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I got sucked in to watching some pre-NHL Lafreniere tape tonight. First thing I noticed is it's not really a surprise he didn't light the NHL on fire. A lot of goals were just being able to loaf by bad defenseman for breakaways without having to skate very hard. The skating isn't there on the tape. It never was and it boggles my mind that scouts didn't seem to harp on that enough as a big problem for how easy transitioning to the NHL would be. There's no way this kid's skating was ready to make an impact in the NHL, and it's still behind where it should. I think he's improved some, but not nearly enough.

Anyway, I was mostly looking through tape to look for indicators about how he was used on the PP. I saw him all over the ice. Left dot, right dot, around the point (where Fox is). He seemed to make a lot of positive plays being near the middle of the ice between the slot and point, where he could drift down towards the net with the puck on his stick for a shot or pass. The vision and especially the shot is there, both forehand and backhand, and it's not really a surprise that through his 1st 3 seasons he has scored at a reasonably good pace at even strength. What he's never had here is being put in an advantageous spot on the PP to utilize the strongest parts of his game. The Rangers have to get him more involved. It might lose them some games initially. It also might not. But it has to happen before making a decision on his future.

My initial thought is actually different than where I was thinking I'd put him. I would have had him on the left dot, now I'm actually thinking the bumper spot would provide him a good area of the ice to take shots and also have some freedom to move around the ice.

Kreider

Zib Laf Kakko

Fox

If i were a girl i would come to your house and let you feel me up. 

• JIMMY! 1

Seriously, if you are not a topnotch skater there is no way you should be a top 10 pick.  If Laffy was a mediocre skater as a junior there is no way he was ever going to blow away the NHL when he got here.

Hoping somebody in a position to do so is making the nonstop suggestion that he find some help on that because skating can always improve and with it the ability to unlock the value that's clearly there.

3 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

He seemed to make a lot of positive plays being near the middle of the ice between the slot and point, where he could drift down towards the net with the puck on his stick for a shot or pass. 

Let me guess.

Lots of gaining the zone by about 5 feet then curling back where he loses tight checking bad defenders... Then he has access to the middle of the ice for clear passes for tip ins or long wristers. 

He's still trying this same crap in the NHL and he gets swallowed up by the opposition. Gain. Curl. Get hit. Lose the puck. 75% of Lafrenières entries.  He's predictable and is as weak as he is slow. He gotta go. 

Edited by The Dude

9 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Kreider

Zib Laf Kakko

Fox

Get used to Panarin on PP1 for 3 more years. 

Edited by Pete
  • VINNY! 1

8 hours ago, The Dude said:

Let me guess.

Lots of gaining the zone by about 5 feet then curling back where he loses tight checking bad defenders... Then he has access to the middle of the ice for clear passes for tip ins or long wristers. 

He's still trying this same crap in the NHL and he gets swallowed up by the opposition. Gain. Curl. Get hit. Lose the puck. 75% of Lafrenières entries.  He's predictable and is as weak as he is slow. He gotta go. 

Actually, no. Not from what I saw. It was a lot of breakaways and easy 2 on 1 rushes, but the other clips were attacking the net and shooting. He picked up that curl back from Panarin. Neat, huh?

26 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Actually, no. Not from what I saw. It was a lot of breakaways and easy 2 on 1 rushes, but the other clips were attacking the net and shooting. He picked up that curl back from Panarin. Neat, huh?

let it go GIF

27 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

let it go GIF

Everyone just r-e-l-a-x.  Lots of overreaction here.  Laf has been disappointment in the sense that people were expecting him to the next McDavid.  We’ll,  he’s obviously not that,  but he’s still a solid player and he still has a very high ceiling.

People comparing him to Hughes (which isn’t a great comparison bc they’re different skill sets) but let’s not forget that Hughes has one more year on Laf.  And when you look at their respective point totals thus far in their careers they aren’t far off:

Laf 21, 31, 39

Hughes 21, 31, 56, 99

obviously a bit of a gap in their 3rd years,  but I look for a big breakout year from Laf next year.

16 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Nail Yakupov first 3 years stats 31,24,33 is similar to Lafraniere's more than Hughes is.   Everyone is hoping for that breakout season from him, but many people including myself are getting worried it's never coming.

Yakupov had major issues in terms of his attitude, work ethic, and character that were apparent in his draft interviews. 
LaFreniere doesn’t seem to have those issues 

10 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

To further illustrate the on ice comparison of the first 3 years of their careers

Lafraniere 91 points in 216 games.

Yakupov 88 points in 192 games.

Hughes 108 points in 166 games.

Hughes had 11 PP goals and 30 PP points in those 3 years.

Yakupov had 15 PP goals and 26 PP points in those 3 years.

Lafreniere has 3 PP goals and 6 PP points in his 3 years.

Factor all that in and the numbers are:

Hughes: 78 points in 166 games.  Hughes had 33 even strength goals.

Yakupov: 62 points in 192 games.  Yakupov had 27 even strength goals.

Lafreniere: 85 pts in 216 games.  Lafreniere had 44 even strength goals.

Edited by Br4d
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Hughes had 11 PP goals and 30 PP points in those 3 years.

Yakupov had 15 PP goals and 26 PP points in those 3 years.

Lafreniere has 3 PP goals and 6 PP points in his 3 years.

Factor all that in and the numbers are:

Hughes: 78 points in 166 games.  Hughes had 33 even strength goals.

Yakupov: 62 points in 192 games.  Yakupov had 27 even strength goals.

Lafreniere: 85 pts in 216 games.  Lafreniere had 44 even strength goals.

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

• Like 1
  • LMFAO 1