• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#66) Rangers at Pittsburgh Penguins — Say Hi to Sully for Me

Phil

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Chytil really only has the 14 game good stretch out of 58 games played.

Pete's line combinations is worth a try.

Yeah, I'm with ya, RJ...I kinda was digging @Pete's idea with the line combos.  It just makes sense to match them according to how they play. 

Tro and Kreider seemd to have some good chemistry.  I wouldn't mind seeing how that plays out over the next stretch.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Splitting Panarin and Kane after a handful of games is stupid. The players themselves have asked the line shuffling to stop. What you call "stones" is actually rocks for brains and thick headedness. 

The move to put Trocheck with Kreider is what netted the goal. Straight line players playing in straight lines. Puck hog center with a winger who doesn't need the puck. This seems obvious. 

The kid line again with a stinker. 1 shot between them. They gotta go. They've had more chances to stay together than anyone, with no merit. 

Chytil with 2A and -7 last 10.

Kakko 3P -6.

Split them up.

Lafreniere Zib Tank

Panarin Chytil Kane

Kreider Trocheck Kakko 

Interesting. So “stop the line shuffling” but also “shuffle the kid line and put them all on different lines”. Can’t have both, I’m afraid.

For a puckhog, Trocheck made a pretty nice pass on that goal. I can buy Kreider and Trocheck together, but a playmaker is on the right. That’s Kane. Away from Panarin.

The funny thing about Chytil between Panarin and Kane is Chytil plays very much like Trocheck. He’s also a straight line player who likes to carry the puck deep and get shots on net, so putting him on a Panarin-Kane line does absolutely nothing to change the complexion of a Panarin-Kane line. That’s a Gallant braindead shuffle for the sake of shuffling move.

The kid line will have ups and downs. Leave them alone. They will figure it out. The last thing you do is make them dead weights for the umpteenth time on other lines, which has already been tried a million times in multiple configurations. Their peak play has been together and a rut doesn’t change that.

• Phil unpinned this topic
33 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Interesting. So “stop the line shuffling” but also “shuffle the kid line and put them all on different lines”. Can’t have both, I’m afraid.

For a puckhog, Trocheck made a pretty nice pass on that goal. I can buy Kreider and Trocheck together, but a playmaker is on the right. That’s Kane. Away from Panarin.

The funny thing about Chytil between Panarin and Kane is Chytil plays very much like Trocheck. He’s also a straight line player who likes to carry the puck deep and get shots on net, so putting him on a Panarin-Kane line does absolutely nothing to change the complexion of a Panarin-Kane line. That’s a Gallant braindead shuffle for the sake of shuffling move.

The kid line will have ups and downs. Leave them alone. They will figure it out. The last thing you do is make them dead weights for the umpteenth time on other lines, which has already been tried a million times in multiple configurations. Their peak play has been together and a rut doesn’t change that.

So we have to leave kids alone for them to figure it out, but we can't leave veterans with a proven track record of chemistry alone to figure it out? Even though the kid line has stunk for far longer than Kane is even been here?

My point was that they should leave the lines alone, but if you're going to mix it up there's a much smarter way to do it, and the way GG did it ain't it.

Trocheck and Chytil are also nothing alike. But I have no time to debate that ad nauseam. So let's just agree to disagree. 

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I think there's a frustration level with Gallant and line shuffling because it's more or less his only coaching move and he goes to that well too often.  I never understood how Panarin and Kane had such chemistry..as someone mentioned they're the same type of player.  Maybe with Chicago's roster it worked better.

My 2 cents is I like Krieder and Zib together.  I think they do.

I coached tennis for 15 years ( I know, nothing like hockey)...but I began to put more and more stock in pairing doubles teams that wanted to be together.  Even if it didn't make a ton of sense on paper the dividends were there.  

47 minutes ago, Pete said:

So we have to leave kids alone for them to figure it out, but we can't leave veterans with a proven track record of chemistry alone to figure it out? Even though the kid line has stunk for far longer than Kane is even been here?

My point was that they should leave the lines alone, but if you're going to mix it up there's a much smarter way to do it, and the way GG did it ain't it.

Trocheck and Chytil are also nothing alike. But I have no time to debate that ad nauseam. So let's just agree to disagree. 

He should leave lines alone that he knows are working or have worked. There’s a shelf life for how long to stick with new lines here, and limited games to find ones that do. We know the kid line can click, regardless of their slump.

I won’t get into the rest. I support the switching of two players. That’s not drastic. Folks just want a storybook Panarin/Kane story. It shouldn’t be forced.

35 minutes ago, Bieser said:

I think there's a frustration level with Gallant and line shuffling because it's more or less his only coaching move and he goes to that well too often.  I never understood how Panarin and Kane had such chemistry..as someone mentioned they're the same type of player.  Maybe with Chicago's roster it worked better.

My 2 cents is I like Krieder and Zib together.  I think they do.

I coached tennis for 15 years ( I know, nothing like hockey)...but I began to put more and more stock in pairing doubles teams that wanted to be together.  Even if it didn't make a ton of sense on paper the dividends were there.  

Right. I get it. I’m not a Gallant guy. Switching two players just isn’t drastic to me, and it’s just weird to look at that and say he’s a line shuffler, and then follow it up with “well if he’s going to change the lines, he should totally reconfigure the entire top 9”. He made a small change and it looked promising in game. He should stick with that again.

26 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

He should leave lines alone that he knows are working or have worked. There’s a shelf life for how long to stick with new lines here, and limited games to find ones that do. We know the kid line can click, regardless of their slump.

I won’t get into the rest. I support the switching of two players. That’s not drastic. Folks just want a storybook Panarin/Kane story. It shouldn’t be forced.

4 games and 2 practices is hardly "forced".

Edited by Pete