• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Depth Trade Target: Noel Acciari

Keirik

635dea9b27cf5.image.jpg?resize=1200,895

UFA at years end. Plays primarily C but can and has played the wing. Pretty decent from the dot, is very responsible is his own end, hits, can PK, and adds some offense here and there. has a 20 goal year in his past and potted 10 thus far this year. 100% Drury type player too so I can see him being a good target. At some point the Blues are going to realize their season is toast and I can’t imagine he costs very much to acquire. He has even played in a cup final IIRC. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/a/acciano01.html

Some recent quotes from teammates and Berube. 

He comes in with the right attitude each night, competing and giving his best effort,” said Brayden Schenn ahead of Monday’s game. “He’s a team guy, he’s always doing things on the ice for teammates on the ice to make them better.”

“He’s exactly what you want out of a teammate,” said Justin Faulk via Bally Sports Midwest. “A guy that goes out there every night, works hard, He’s physical, he takes care of the puck. He’s so committed to being a team player, and it’s great to see him get rewarded.”

“He gets good looks almost every game because of hard work and being around the net,” said head coach Craig Berube after Monday’s win. “He brings everybody into the fight. Whatever line he goes on, he helps them.”

https://fox2now.com/sports/st-louis-blues/joyeux-noel-blues-enjoy-physicality-timely-goals-from-newcomer-acciari/

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

40 minutes ago, Keirik said:

635dea9b27cf5.image.jpg?resize=1200,895

UFA at years end. Plays primarily C but can and has played the wing. Pretty decent from the dot, is very responsible is his own end, hits, can PK, and adds some offense here and there. has a 20 goal year in his past and potted 10 thus far this year. 100% Drury type player too so I can see him being a good target. At some point the Blues are going to realize their season is toast and I can’t imagine he costs very much to acquire. He has even played in a cup final IIRC. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/a/acciano01.html

Some recent quotes from teammates and Berube. 

https://fox2now.com/sports/st-louis-blues/joyeux-noel-blues-enjoy-physicality-timely-goals-from-newcomer-acciari/

He’s a guy I’d be very happy with as a 4th line add.

• Applause 1

So I may be missing the point but aren't the Rangers swimming in guys that can play on the 4th line right now?

The problem is the 1st line RW and maybe the 3rd line RW if you really don't want Vesey on a checking line with Kreider and Trocheck.

4th liners currently on the roster: Goodrow, Vesey (depending on 3rd line RW acquisition), Gauthier, Cuylle, Kravtsov, Lechyshyn, Blais, etc.

The problem with the Rangers right now is the same problem we had at TDL last year: we are short a couple of players in the top 9 and we're promoting solid 4th liners to fill those slots.  Add to this the fact that GG won't give the one kind of fixed line enough minutes with the kids and we look shaky all up and down the top 9.  4th line is fine - it just keeps getting robbed of the best two 4th liners (Goodrow and Vesey) to fill slots on line 1 and 3.

• Bullseye 1

2 minutes ago, Br4d said:

So I may be missing the point but aren't the Rangers swimming in guys that can play on the 4th line right now?

The problem is the 1st line RW and maybe the 3rd line RW if you really don't want Vesey on a checking line with Kreider and Trocheck.

4th liners currently on the roster: Goodrow, Vesey (depending on 3rd line RW acquisition), Gauthier, Cuylle, Kravtsov, Lechyshyn, Blais, etc.

The problem with the Rangers right now is the same problem we had at TDL last year: we are short a couple of players in the top 9 and we're promoting solid 4th liners to fill those slots.  Add to this the fact that GG won't give the one kind of fixed line enough minutes with the kids and we look shaky all up and down the top 9.  4th line is fine - it just keeps getting robbed of the best two 4th liners (Goodrow and Vesey) to fill slots on line 1 and 3.

Ice Hockey Sport GIF by NHL

• Keeps it 100 4

5 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I'm not sure how that applies here though.  Acciari is top 10 in the entire nhl in hits and already has double digits in goals for the season. In the playoffs you need depth. There are going to be injuries. He's already better than Blias. He's better than Lyschishdbin or however u spell his name. He's better than Carpenter. You get the point.  Plus he doesn't affect thr ability at all to add a top 6 guy. He isn't a guy that'll require a boat load of assets to obtain.  

Just now, Keirik said:

I'm not sure how that applies here though.  Acciari is top 10 in the entire nhl in hits and already has double digits in goals for the season. In the playoffs you need depth. There are going to be injuries. He's already better than Blias. He's better than Lyschishdbin or however u spell his name. He's better than Carpenter. You get the point.  Plus he doesn't affect thr ability at all to add a top 6 guy. He isn't a guy that'll require a boat load of assets to obtain.  

So I get this but do you really think the 4th line is a problem for this team right now, even if it doesn't have the best 4th liners on it at the moment?

The answer is either for GG to stop acting like GG and slot the Kids in for 18 minutes a game or for the Rangers to acquire a top line RW that pushes Vesey to line 3.  If that happens the 4th line is going to get 5-6 minutes a game anyway and whoever the Rangers acquire just doesn't matter even if they are better than what we have.

Being thin in the top 6 is basically a result of Panarin - Zibanejad - whoever as line 1 and Kreider - Trocheck - whoever as line 2 with the kids getting 14-15 minutes a game as effectively line 3.

• Keeps it 100 1

22 minutes ago, Br4d said:

So I get this but do you really think the 4th line is a problem for this team right now, even if it doesn't have the best 4th liners on it at the moment?

The answer is either for GG to stop acting like GG and slot the Kids in for 18 minutes a game or for the Rangers to acquire a top line RW that pushes Vesey to line 3.  If that happens the 4th line is going to get 5-6 minutes a game anyway and whoever the Rangers acquire just doesn't matter even if they are better than what we have.

Being thin in the top 6 is basically a result of Panarin - Zibanejad - whoever as line 1 and Kreider - Trocheck - whoever as line 2 with the kids getting 14-15 minutes a game as effectively line 3.

I'm confused though by what all of that has to do with a thread about depth help. I created a thread about improving depth. Im not suggesting its priority 1 sbove other things. That doesnt mean you ignore other areas you look to solidify the team before the trade deadline. I'm not sure what the top 6 has to do with looking at targets for depth elsewhere nor am i suggesting using seriosu trade chips we would use elsewhere. Last season we traded for top 6 help and also traded for Motte. As the playoffs approach, the team is going to look for solidifying all areas, not just top 6 help. 

Accairi fits in nicely here. Hell, he even slots up and down in emergency like situations as he has for STL this year. Make no mistake though, I'm suggesting this to solidify bottom 6 areas. 

28 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Accairi would pretty much fill the role Vesey was supposed to before really slotting up well. I think it would be a good pull for a mid draft pick.

Yup. Think Tyler Motte trade. 4th rounder the other way. 

My opinion and I am quite sure the opinion of many on the board is consistently play the Kids as a second line when together have been productive Put Acciari who is very good on the forecheck on a line with Krieder and Trochek. This line would produce a lot of greasy goals with Zib Panarin and Vesey as the top line. 

• Applause 1

3 hours ago, Keirik said:

I'm confused though by what all of that has to do with a thread about depth help. I created a thread about improving depth. Im not suggesting its priority 1 sbove other things. That doesnt mean you ignore other areas you look to solidify the team before the trade deadline. I'm not sure what the top 6 has to do with looking at targets for depth elsewhere nor am i suggesting using seriosu trade chips we would use elsewhere. Last season we traded for top 6 help and also traded for Motte. As the playoffs approach, the team is going to look for solidifying all areas, not just top 6 help. 

Accairi fits in nicely here. Hell, he even slots up and down in emergency like situations as he has for STL this year. Make no mistake though, I'm suggesting this to solidify bottom 6 areas. 

You're missing that the actual 4th line depth is already here. It's just being used in the top 6. Vesey and Goodrow should be on the 4th line. Goodrow should center it. I guess Accairi could be the 4th line center shifting Goodrow to RW (where Gallant for some really strange reason feels he MUST play)... That's a solid 4th line that demands icetime. But so is  26- 21- 12/91. 

If he comes cheap.  Absolutely.  If he costs Kravtsov or Jones or Robertson. No.  What are you thinking he's worth,

• Phil changed the title to Depth Trade Target: Noel Acciari
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

You're missing that the actual 4th line depth is already here. It's just being used in the top 6. Vesey and Goodrow should be on the 4th line. Goodrow should center it. I guess Accairi could be the 4th line center shifting Goodrow to RW (where Gallant for some really strange reason feels he MUST play)... That's a solid 4th line that demands icetime. But so is  26- 21- 12/91. 

If he comes cheap.  Absolutely.  If he costs Kravtsov or Jones or Robertson. No.  What are you thinking he's worth,

Nah, I'm not missing anything. Hes an upgrade on most 4th line options and we know Gallant doesnt use Goodrow properly as you said so Acciari slides in nicely. He also has playoff experience and, in a pinch, can slide up if need be due to injury. He at least has a pedigree of some actual goal scoring production. Also, agreed with the cost. As I said elsewhere here. Think Tyler Motte trade. Late pick. Nothing more. He's a 31 year old UFA. He won't go for much at all. 

22 hours ago, Br4d said:

Yes. Absolutely. Our fourth line gets absolutely caved in at 5v5, and we need them to be reliable enough for 8-10ish minutes a night in the playoffs. We absolutely should be adding the sort of depth players that can be trusted for 8 minutes of even strength hockey that isn't exclusively defense.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

29 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Yes. Absolutely. Our fourth line gets absolutely caved in at 5v5, and we need them to be reliable enough for 8-10ish minutes a night in the playoffs. We absolutely should be adding the sort of depth players that can be trusted for 8 minutes of even strength hockey that isn't exclusively defense.

All I'm saying is that the Rangers are winning nothing this year with 3 4th line RW's on the ice and Kakko.  Right now any problem with the 4th line is due to the fact that we have 2 4th liners playing regularly in the top 9 including one on line 1.

Adding 4th line players to this team is just going to get us ROFL-stomped by the teams with actual top 9ers playing in the top 9.

• Bullseye 1

20 minutes ago, Br4d said:

All I'm saying is that the Rangers are winning nothing this year with 3 4th line RW's on the ice and Kakko.  Right now any problem with the 4th line is due to the fact that we have 2 4th liners playing regularly in the top 9 including one on line 1.

Adding 4th line players to this team is just going to get us ROFL-stomped by the teams with actual top 9ers playing in the top 9.

Nobody said this is an "or" thing - that's your own assumption. It's an "and" thing.

We cannot go into the playoffs with our fourth line getting absolutely worked at even strength, and we also can't go into the playoffs with one top 6 RW. 

• Bullseye 1

21 minutes ago, Br4d said:

How does adding a top 10 level 4th liner get us stomped? I'm not sure why you make this into an idea of trading for this "instead of"when its really being discussed "in addition to...." 

2 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Nobody said this is an "or" thing - that's your own assumption. It's an "and" thing.

We cannot go into the playoffs with our fourth line getting absolutely worked at even strength, and we also can't go into the playoffs with one top 6 RW. 

Beat me to it....well done 

2 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Where do you see the 4th line getting worked at this point?  The +/- numbers suggest the 4th line is pulling their weight.  We had issues earlier in the season but those have mostly worked out at this point.

9 minutes ago, Keirik said:

How does adding a top 10 level 4th liner get us stomped? I'm not sure why you make this into an idea of trading for this "instead of"when its really being discussed "in addition to...." 

Don't give GG any more veteran 4th liners.  He does not know how to appropriately use them because he sees "vet" but not "4th liner".

At least not until you trade or demote some of the existing vet 4th liners.

Edited by Br4d
  • LOL 1

20 hours ago, Keirik said:

Nah, I'm not missing anything. Hes an upgrade on most 4th line options and we know Gallant doesnt use Goodrow properly as you said so Acciari slides in nicely. He also has playoff experience and, in a pinch, can slide up if need be due to injury. He at least has a pedigree of some actual goal scoring production. Also, agreed with the cost. As I said elsewhere here. Think Tyler Motte trade. Late pick. Nothing more. He's a 31 year old UFA. He won't go for much at all. 

I'm not seeing how he's an upgrade over Goodrow. Vesey? I guess..  Leschyshyn absolutely. Gauthier? Meh. Blais,  yes currently anyway. 

I'm just not agreeing with how you are wording this. I'd take the guy, no doubt. I just don't agree he's an upgrade on who the actual 4th liners are, or who they are going to be. 

You are missing the point that when the Rangers get the type of players they need for the top 6-9.... players are going to slide down to where they belong, which is the 4th line. How many 4th liners are you going to carry? 

Goodrow is going to replace Leschyshyn when an actual top 6 -9 RW is brought in. Vesey should be replaced in the top 9 by someone a bit more reliable.  So he's going to take that Cuylle/Blais spot. Is this guy better than Goodrow on draws? Should he be the C and Goodrow plays wing? I can't answer that. I'm not super familiar with the player

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'm not seeing how he's an upgrade over Goodrow. Vesey? I guess..  Leschyshyn absolutely. Gauthier? Meh. Blais,  yes currently anyway. 

I'm just not agreeing with how you are wording this. I'd take the guy, no doubt. I just don't agree he's an upgrade on who the actual 4th liners are, or who they are going to be. 

You are missing the point that when the Rangers get the type of players they need for the top 6-9.... players are going to slide down to where they belong, which is the 4th line. How many 4th liners are you going to carry? 

Goodrow is going to replace Leschyshyn when an actual top 6 -9 RW is brought in. Vesey should be replaced in the top 9 by someone a bit more reliable.  So he's going to take that Cuylle/Blais spot. Is this guy better than Goodrow on draws? Should he be the C and Goodrow plays wing? I can't answer that. I'm not super familiar with the player

Im not missing the point at all. Im disagreeing with it. Acciari is absolutely an upgrade over Gauthier. Acciari has 10 goals this year. Gauthier has 11 career goals. He’s an upgrade over Blais who hasn’t scored a goal in 3 seasons. A fourth line of Vesey - Acciari - Goodrow is  almost an ideal 4th line. Acciari is 54% from the dot. Goodrow is 45%. If Acciari is traded here, he automatically leads the team in hits. He has more than Trouba, more than Goodrow, all while playing 14 minutes a night.  And there is the added factor that Acciari can actually score goals so he can slot up if need be on wing.  He was on the wing with the Panthers and was tied for 4th on the team in goals back in the Covid shortened year with 20 in 66 games. 

This is like one of those 30 minutes before deadline is over, call up STL and offer a 3rd or 4th rounder for a guy that was going to be a UFA at seasons end anyway. 

• Like 2
  • VINNY! 1

They still will need to add a top-6 RW.

They need a 4th liner too.

And a LD to play on bottom pair 

But rolling out lots of guys on 4th line now, such as Blais, Gauthier, Lesch, Brodz, Cuylle, etc., is a good idea.

You need depth. The more guys who can play in a pinch, the better. 
I wish they had that on D.

After getting Tarasenko I think this would be a good get, but not sure the Blues are going to do another trade with the Rangers.

Could see Acciari centering a 4th line of Goodrow and Vesey as a shut down line with a bit of scoring.

Have either Kravtsov or Gauthier play 3rd line with Kreider and Trochek.

• Keeps it 100 1