• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Can We Stop With the Blais Project?

Art20c

I understand he got here in buch trade which by itself was beyond travesty but hasn’t it  been enough time to figure that he’s absolutely useless and just burry him in minors for the remainder of his contract the end of which seems not to come soon enough. Boggles me how in the world this guy made it to nhl. I’ve seen better players in beer leagues. Just the only one without a single goal on the roster. Everybody have at least 1 goal, including past stars like hunt, carpenter, tinordi and such. Why is he getting any play time? Can we just lose him? 

Edited by Art20c
  • Bullseye 1

6 hours ago, Art20c said:

I understand he got here in buch trade which by itself was beyond travesty but hasn’t it  been enough time to figure that he’s absolutely useless and just burry him in minors for the remainder of his contract the end of which seems to not come soon enough. Boggles me how in the world this guy made it to nhl. I’ve seen better players in beer leagues. Just the only one without a single goal on the roster. Everybody have at least 1 goal, including past stars like hunt, carpenter, tinordi and such. Why is he getting any play time? Can we just lose him? 

Options are slim. Gauthier, Blais, Kravtsov are riding the 4th line carrousel. Expect him to be scratched next game though.

12 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

He’s not been good. But I don’t think he’s going anywhere and I don’t think he’s really all the way back from the surgery. 

Pretty much this. 

But if he's not much better at the deadline he'll be gone for a 5th or 6th rounder. 

He hasn’t looked nearly as solid as when he briefly played for the rangers when they first got him. 

I know it takes time to recover from an injury like his and get your game back. But that doesn’t mean you have to play every game. 

guys done nothing all season long and now he’s hurting the team.

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Pretty much this. 

But if he's not much better at the deadline he'll be gone for a 5th or 6th rounder. 

I agree. 30ish games, 12 months removed from knee reconstruction and not playing hockey for 10 months isn’t enough to make a final decision on him.

Hes got 2 months to improve. 

I know it's hard to be patient with him, fellas but I'm telling ya....there's no way in god's creation he's 100% back from that surgery.  I keep thinking it's a damn miracle he was back before the middle of this season.

He does have to play to get his conditioning/strength back to 100% I would think;  I'm actually frustrated for the guy, but unfortunately this is a business, and the playoff clock is ticking.

• Phil changed the title to Can We Stop with the Blais Project?
46 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

He’s not been good. But I don’t think he’s going anywhere and I don’t think he’s really all the way back from the surgery. 

It's exactly this, IMO. The surgery was significant. He looks nothing like the player he was prior to it. There's no chance he's anywhere near as confident as he was before it.

I guess the good thing is because he's playing so poorly, he's going to be cheap as hell to keep if they want to run this out a while longer.

Personally, I'd just flip him. They've already lost the Buch trade. There's no putting that toothpaste back in the tube, and guys like Cuylle and Othmann are knocking loudly. I'd just include him in one of their deadline or near-deadline deals and be done with it.

I can't help but agree and push a little harder on this thread. He's not 100%. He may never again be 100%, and while he might be cheap to keep, he's making twice league minimum on a team where every dollar counts. That, and we continue to expect to be able to do damage in the playoffs this year. Hope he figures it out sooner or later, but I don't think we can keep giving him the chance here when Cuylle or Rydahl could come up and give us more right now at half price.

I think the team is banking on his cup winning experience to be an asset come playoff time

With that said, I haven't seen him really offer us much this season. 

We traded Reaves because he basically just skated around, hit a few people, didn't touch the puck and occasionally fought

Blais skates better than Reaves, but he basically does the same thing, minus the fighting.

Nothing against the guy personally, I just don't see what he offers us anymore. I'd rather give a guy like Cuylle a shot there towards the end of the season. Maybe Blais gets added into a deal at the deadline

He’s not 100% and according to A. Lee it might take a year to get better. Why the hell did Drury extend him in off season? He didn’t know? Or the fact that letting blais go in off-season would mean admitting how terrible that trade was? Not very professional. There many trades that went bad for at least one of participants. Any trade is a gamble, one wins and one loses rarely both win. Fact is guy can’t give you 100% whatever that 100% might be, he was given a chance and thus far he brought nothing except that stupid penalty in Pitt game. 

Edited by Art20c

57 minutes ago, Phil said:

It's exactly this, IMO. The surgery was significant. He looks nothing like the player he was prior to it. There's no chance he's anywhere near as confident as he was before it.

I guess the good thing is because he's playing so poorly, he's going to be cheap as hell to keep if they want to run this out a while longer.

Personally, I'd just flip him. They've already lost the Buch trade. There's no putting that toothpaste back in the tube, and guys like Cuylle and Othmann are knocking loudly. I'd just include him in one of their deadline or near-deadline deals and be done with it.

I’m not ready to do that with him yet. For the reasons we’ve discussed.

As said, there’s 50 games left. He’s not all the way back yet.

If you continue to give him time. Let him play. Get stronger. Hopefully have some success and get some confidence back, he gets into February and starts playing well, and now you have a useful and important bottom-6 winger. One with a Cup ring to boot. 

See where you are at the deadline with him. 

8 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I’m not ready to do that with him yet. For the reasons we’ve discussed.

As said, there’s 50 games left. He’s not all the way back yet.

If you continue to give him time. Let him play. Get stronger. Hopefully have some success and get some confidence back, he gets into February and starts playing well, and now you have a useful and important bottom-6 winger. One with a Cup ring to boot. 

See where you are at the deadline with him. 

That's where I'm at with him too, 7. 

He took a bad penalty last night and it's magnified in a loss.  I'll admit, he hasn't done shit yet, but we're at a point where he needs to play to get better, but he's not bringing anything either.

Tough call!

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

That's where I'm at with him too, 7. 

He took a bad penalty last night and it's magnified in a loss.  I'll admit, he hasn't done shit yet, but we're at a point where he needs to play to get better, but he's not bringing anything either.

Tough call!

It’s not a tough call. You see how he plays between now and the deadline. Then make a decision.

Obviously, if he’s egregiously bad and can’t stay in the lineup over that time, he makes that decision for you before then.

But now you wait and see 

Sammy Blais has played around 45 games as a Ranger. He has 9 assists, takes on average a single shot a game, and has not scored a goal. He's not defensively elite. He's not offensively elite. He doesn't drive possession. He doesn't create turnovers. He has a long history of the can't-stay-healthies. He's somehow getting 60% offensive zone starts. And there are at least two players in Hartford, right now, that can step into his spot and do more than he is for half the cost. This is a win-now year for us, and we can't have a passenger - even a passenger that might become what he was when we got him, which is....this with a few more goals. 

I just don't think it's worth waiting for the chance that comes to bear. We have already seen dividends offing a passenger player for a HFD forward in the Carpenter-Brodzinski swap. I think it's time to send Blais elsewhere, get a pick, and bring Rydahl or Cuylle up. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Keeps it 100 2

2 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

I agree. 30ish games, 12 months removed from knee reconstruction and not playing hockey for 10 months isn’t enough to make a final decision on him.

Hes got 2 months to improve. 

Should have started the season in Hartford on a conditioning assignment. 

No reason he should be playing over Gauthier. Absolutely none. 

• LMFAO 1

• Art20c changed the title to Can We Stop With the Blais Project?

My question right now is that I don't know what being totally recovered means for Blais. He was never a shifty player. He was a north/south guy who throws his body around. He's clearly not suffering at throwing his body around as he has the highest hits/60 on the team by a country mile, and second on the team in total hits despite playing only 10 minutes a night. If he's affected that much on lateral movement, which I assume is the main issue with "not being totally recovered", you can make a case he is not actually healthy and put him on LTIR for a spell. Have him focus on working out, training hard, trusting his knee again. Then get him piles of minutes in the AHL on a two week conditioning assignment to help shake the hockey rust out with the puck on his stick. Bring him back up later in the season. In the interim, see what a Cuylle or a Rydahl can offer, which is probably more than what Blais can right now.

• Like 2