• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How Can/Will the Rangers Keep Chytil?

Phil

With so much tied up in others, I don't see how Chytil doesn't get paid this summer.

Makes the Trocheck signing look so much worse, too.

I really wonder if they don't need to pull the chute on Goodrow earlier than they thought they might need to.

• VINNY! 1

Pretty unlucky that the one kid they weren't counting on to reach their potential when handing out contracts is the one that's doing it. Goodrow may be the odd man out but then how soft is the team gonna be? Back to the pre-Tom Wilson incident? Either that was never an issue in hindsight or it'll become an issue again.

All those somewhat off-topic issues aside, I do what I can to keep Chytil especially if he continues to fit and succeed on that 2nd line. We now see what chemistry with Panarin can be worth with Trocheck not clicking so well after Strome.

37 minutes ago, Tonybologna said:

Pretty unlucky that the one kid they weren't counting on to reach their potential when handing out contracts is the one that's doing it. Goodrow may be the odd man out but then how soft is the team gonna be? Back to the pre-Tom Wilson incident? Either that was never an issue in hindsight or it'll become an issue again.

All those somewhat off-topic issues aside, I do what I can to keep Chytil especially if he continues to fit and succeed on that 2nd line. We now see what chemistry with Panarin can be worth with Trocheck not clicking so well after Strome.

I wouldn't worry about that. They can hire some cheap 4th line muscle as insulation if they think they need it. The mindset of the team has been changed since 2 years ago. They got some harder nose youngsters who have a pretty good shot of cracking the lineup next season too (Othmann, Cuylle).

I like Goodrow. He wears his heart on his sleeve and has testes the size of bowling balls when he blocks shots, but his hockey ability is limited. He's the kind of guy you need to win when that guy is getting paid $1.5M like Goodrow was with Tampa. The Rangers need to keep their talent and worry about finding that kind of hired piece at a cheaper cap hit later. The Rangers may have to pay through the nose for it, just like it cost Tampa a 1st to land Goodrow from the Sharks, before Goodrow was Goodrow.

Edited by rmc51
  • Like 1

The question is more “who do we want as our 2/3c? Goodrow or Trochek?” Pretty easy answer there although if I’m honest, I’m still not impressed by chytil. I think you can bridge him this off season similar to kakko and get him in at a low price. It may bite us in the ass but the guy has proven to be made of glass through his whole career.

the only wildcard is if he has another playoff like this year and we don’t sign him. At that point his price is going up up up.

I have no idea what they're going to do in the off season. Unless the cap increases A LOT, we're in a pretty fucked up situation.

We have 3.4m in dead cap hit coming off the books, that might be what saves us. Blais can walk, so that's 1.5m extra there.

Unsigned from 23:
- Chytil

- Miller

- Lafreniere

- Kravtsov

- Hajek

- Gauthier

- Blais

- Vesey

Kravtsov will probably be traded, Hajek, Vesey and Blais can walk. Not sure about Gauther yet, but he won't get more than league minimum even if signed.

If my math is correct we have 65.6m tied up in Shesterkin, Fox, Trouba, Lindgren, Panarin, Kreider, Zib, Trocheck, Goodrow. That's 1G, 3D and 6F.

Right now the cap is at 80.8m so with no increase we have 15.3m to sign 1G, 3D, 6F.

We'll probably have to bridge Miller and Chytil(again). Trouba and Panarin's contract are up after the 25/26 season, so it would probably be a good idea to bridge them untill then.

Chytil - 4m x3

Miller - 2.5m x3

Laf - 2.5m x3

This is low-balling them and still would take up too much of the cap for the next season.

• Phil changed the title to How Can/Will the Rangers Keep Chytil?
3 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I have no idea what they're going to do in the off season. Unless the cap increases A LOT, we're in a pretty fucked up situation.

We have 3.4m in dead cap hit coming off the books, that might be what saves us. Blais can walk, so that's 1.5m extra there.

Unsigned from 23:
- Chytil

- Miller

- Lafreniere

- Kravtsov

- Hajek

- Gauthier

- Blais

- Vesey

Kravtsov will probably be traded, Hajek, Vesey and Blais can walk. Not sure about Gauther yet, but he won't get more than league minimum even if signed.

If my math is correct we have 65.6m tied up in Shesterkin, Fox, Trouba, Lindgren, Panarin, Kreider, Zib, Trocheck, Goodrow. That's 1G, 3D and 6F.

Right now the cap is at 80.8m so with no increase we have 15.3m to sign 1G, 3D, 6F.

We'll probably have to bridge Miller and Chytil(again). Trouba and Panarin's contract are up after the 25/26 season, so it would probably be a good idea to bridge them untill then.

Chytil - 4m x3

Miller - 2.5m x3

Laf - 2.5m x3

This is low-balling them and still would take up too much of the cap for the next season.

I don't think they can bridge Chytil again. He has ARB rights now. It's time to pay up or move on.

He's on pace for 52 points. He's not signing for less than $5M per IMO.

• Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

I don't think they can bridge Chytil again. He has ARB rights now. It's time to pay up or move on.

He's on pace for 52 points. He's not signing for less than $5M per IMO.

5m?? That's what Strome got this summer. 0.6m less than Trocheck got.

His career high is 23 points. Yes he had a great playoff, yes he's had a really good season so far and is on pace to crush his career high, but 5m for that body of work while he's still a RFA sounds way too expensive to me.

While also not bridging him. 5m x 5 years? That's what Strome just got.

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I have a feeling he's the guy going for Kane at the TDL. 

I was tough on him for long time, but he's starting to play really well. 

Losing a center would be a travesty. It would be a huge waste of time we spent developing him. Similar to Buch.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Long live the King said:

It's gotta be Goodrow.  Chytil gets Goodrow's money.  Laf get's Blais money.  Key gets the dead cap money.

This is the only logical solution.

That our trading Lindgren and hope/pray that Jones/Robertson/Hajek is a good enough left side behind Miller. I personally would never do this, but I can see it happening.

4 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Losing a center would be a travesty. It would be a huge waste of time we spent developing him. Similar to Buch.

I agree...the only thing about Chytil though is that we just paid Trocheck to be our #2 center.  I don't see Chytil as a #3 center....he kinda doesn't fit that style.  Not that he hasn't been good this season, but that role of the 3rd center is more of a mucker/grinder kinda guy.

We're definitely thin on centers and it sure would be a shame to let this guy go, especially now when he's starting to break out.  But we're going to have to turn goat piss into gasoline with some of this cap space. 

Too bad we can't unload Trouba, instead of Goodrow!

Lafreniere is probably the guy going for Kane at TDL.  The Rangers are doubly set at LW right now and they have Othman and Cuylle waiting to come up.  They just drafted another LW in Sikora who they have to be planning to see by '26 or so.

After TDL you have Kreider - Zibanejad - Kakko on line 1.  You have Panarin - Chytil - Kane on line 2.  You have Cuylle - Trocheck - Kravtsov on line 3.  You have Goodrow centering line 4 with Gauthier, Vesey, Blais and Brodzinski to pick from as his linemates.

The Rangers can't afford to trade a young Center with upside at this point.  It's not like the team is swimming in Centers at the moment.  LW's are a dime a dozen.

Edited by Br4d
  • Like 1

He’ll still be cost controlled, if they decide to keep him. He still hasn’t broken 23 points in a season. 

miller isn’t helping himself, either. Not much from Lafreniere, either.

but to lose Reaves, Goodrow, and probably Blais puts them back to where they were 2 years ago. 

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 1
  • JIMMY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Just now, josh said:

He’ll still be cost controlled, if they decide to keep him. He still hasn’t broken 23 points in a season. 

but to lose Reaves, Goodrow, and probably Blais puts them back to where they were 2 years ago. 

Bingo. I seriously doubt Goodrow is going anywhere. Cullye should be better than Blais... Or at least be as inconsequential to the on ice product while allowing him play minutes to develop. 

• Bullseye 1

22 minutes ago, josh said:

In theory yes, but not really.

The team is two years older now. We used to ice a lineup with 5-6 rookies every night. We don't do that anymore and we don't really have players that need "protection" like we used to.

I would also argue that Trocheck is a bit more Blais/Goodrow than he is Strome/Panarin. We would also need to make a totally new 4th line next season, so we should be able to find some "goons" that knows how to play.

26 minutes ago, josh said:

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

Bingo. I seriously doubt Goodrow is going anywhere. Cullye should be better than Blais... Or at least be as inconsequential to the on ice product while allowing him play minutes to develop. 

Goodrow, yes. Reaves + Blais, no. They're not helping now, and not just because Reaves isn't on the team anymore. They're simply non-factors in 99% of the games they play or played.

Goodrow has a visible impact. Losing him will hurt, but it's really hard to square the fact they're paying $3.6 million a year to a guy who ideally lines up as their fourth-line center.

Maybe the answer is simply to trade Chytil. I don't know. I think that's something they're going to have to seriously consider, because they're reaching an inflection point in the process where they're going to have to pay him or move on. I'm not sure they can bridge him at all despite still maintaining some control because he 's arbitration-eligible.

My gut tells me they've already made their decision here when they signed Trocheck for seven years. If they believed in Chytil, in spite of what he's done so far this year, they probably wouldn't have, and instead would have locked him up when they could have, comfortably.

spacer.png

There's some wiggle room to give Chytil another $500k (I signed him 5 years $4.5mil) and invest a bit more into a backup goaltender. We could also cut bait with Blais and find a cheaper 4th line option, or give Vesey another year and save $700k. Need to find a backup that'll be $400k to $600k more expensive than Garand, kid isn't ready yet. But we can make it work, and the cap should go up significantly after next season.

This is all assuming Chytil stays healthy and can finish the season at this scoring pace, of course.

Edited by Cash or Czech
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

spacer.png

There's some wiggle room to give Chytil another $500k (I signed him 5 years $4.5mil) and invest a bit more into a backup goaltender. We could also cut bait with Blais and find a cheaper 4th line option, or give Vesey another year and save $700k. Need to find a backup that'll be $400k to $600k more expensive than Garand, kid isn't ready yet. But we can make it work, and the cap should go up significantly after next season.

This is all assuming Chytil stays healthy and can finish the season at this scoring pace, of course.

That’s still a lot for Chytil, and probably low on Lafreniere, who puts up the same number of points, with a few more last season.