• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022 World Cup

Cash or Czech

3 hours ago, fletch said:

It's remarkable how often when the two favored teams in a group face off, how many times we end up seeing a 0-0 result for both teams.  The positive spin is this is tournament tactics - they figure with wins against the bottom-feeders, a draw keeps them safe to advance.  The cynic might read a bit more into the situation, especially given the Disgrace of Gijon.

https://www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia/the-disgrace-of-gijon-was-a-match-so-awful-it-changed-football-forever/

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/soccer/world-cups-101-most-memorable-moments-the-disgrace-of-gijon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgrace_of_Gijón

The integrity of the sport is most threatened when both teams achieve a beneficial result without sincere competition to the detriment of other teams in the group.  I'm not suggesting there is conversation between teams before games.  But the athletes on the pitch are intelligent and know the desired results needed for each team.  By body language, amount of aggression, tactics, team structure, etc, it is pretty clear whether a team is playing for a draw or for a win.

And having struggled through Denmark-Tunisia 0-0 and Mexico-Poland 0-0 today, flashes of brilliance, saved penalty shot, but lots of tedium while both teams played very conservatively.

All of that is a moot point for the most part now because the last game of each group is always played at the same time. Draws happen. What happened in 1982 is irrelevant.  There’s nothing at all wrong with it except the previous situation that has been corrected. There is absolutely zero reason to change that for the western world of sports when the rest of the world is perfectly fine with it. 

On 11/22/2022 at 7:58 PM, Keirik said:

Blah. Americans. Sorry about your Poland today 🙂 

On 11/23/2022 at 1:06 AM, Keirik said:

All of that is a moot point for the most part now because the last game of each group is always played at the same time. Draws happen. What happened in 1982 is irrelevant.  There’s nothing at all wrong with it except the previous situation that has been corrected. There is absolutely zero reason to change that for the western world of sports when the rest of the world is perfectly fine with it. 

(not relevent to World Cup)

Edited by fletch
outdated cultural reference

8 hours ago, fletch said:

I've played, coached, and watched for 40+ years, listened and learned from people from many nations.  I have thin skin when it comes to prejudice against Americans because I've seen the running inside global joke for many years.  American players are hacks (physical) with tunnel vision (don't distribute) and lack ball skills.  American fans don't understand nor appreciate the beautiful game and should stick to other sports.

I'm offended by what you've written in several posts.  It's possible for us to disagree about draws without you pissing on Americans and making sweeping generations.

Umm, I'm an American. I stand by exactly what I said. This isn’t a soap box moment. I never said 3/4 of what you’re saying. I think it’s silly to change an entire sport. Ties are fine in tournament group stages or long domestic seasons.  Sorry if my opinion bothers you, but there is nothing wrong with the sport as it is. I've played, coached, and watched for close to 50 years. 

8 hours ago, fletch said:

I've played, coached, and watched for 40+ years, listened and learned from people from many nations.  I have thin skin when it comes to prejudice against Americans because I've seen the running inside global joke for many years.  American players are hacks (physical) with tunnel vision (don't distribute) and lack ball skills.  American fans don't understand nor appreciate the beautiful game and should stick to other sports.

I'm offended by what you've written in several posts.  It's possible for us to disagree about draws without you pissing on Americans and making sweeping generations.

This is satire, right? If not, it's a huge overreaction.

If you don't like tournament strategy, change the format. The top teams haven't even been the ones to draw 0-0, it's the middle teams. France won 4-1. England won 6-2. Germany lost 2-1. Argentina lost 2-1. I watched Denmark-Tunisia and Morocco-Croatia and neither team was playing for a draw. I missed Mexico-Poland, but Lewandowski missed a penalty.

Edited by Cash or Czech
  • Keeps it 100 1

32 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I can’t believe how far Germany has fallen in recent years. They really are a team in transition. 

Honestly I was expecting them to play much better. The pieces are there, except a striker...

Rudiger, Sule, Schlotterbeck, Muller, Musiala, Gundogan, Gnabry...it's a great side.

1 minute ago, Cash or Czech said:

Honestly I was expecting them to play much better. The pieces are there, except a striker...

Rudiger, Sule, Schlotterbeck, Muller, Musiala, Gundogan, Gnabry...it's a great side.

They just don’t play that cohesive right now. Letting up one late girl is one thing, but two? 

Cheers to Japan.  Germany is in a tough spot.

Spain-Costa Rica 7-0

Japan-Germany 2-1

For the statgeeks: 

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-world-cup-predictions/

Germany is now given a 33% chance to make the round of 16.

Given, Germany still has 2 games left to rescue themselves.  2 wins and 6 points (win over Spain (!), win over Costa Rica) and things brighten considerably.

As a pretournament favorite, still quite a surprising situation.  Why we watch.  👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keirik said:

I can’t believe how far Germany has fallen in recent years. They really are a team in transition. 

It happens, old generation is mostly out and no real replacements because everyone got complacent again, just like last time (in the 90s).

There's a reason we have a 20-year cycle of winning that thing (with one small outlier): 54, 74, 90, 14

Don't bet on Germany till the 2034 World Cup

Edited by H-Dreamer

15 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

The battle of waffles versus syrup. A great match so far. Canada dominating but Belgium being resilient and striking against the run of play. I think we need a @Keirik special...

Next

Goal

Wins

Canada's gonna need Ted Lasso in the locker room to help them recover from that goal after completely dominating the first half and all the shots they accumulated. Nevertheless, team looks very well matched against one of the top ranked opponents.