Jump to content
  • Join us — it's free!

    We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022 World Cup


Cash or Czech
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, fletch said:

 

FIFA is worse than the IOC as far as corruption (which is saying something).  Sepp Blatter was terrible as leader.

 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/09/football/sepp-blatter-qatar-fifa-world-cup-spt-intl/index.html

 

'Sepp Blatter, the former president of FIFA when Qatar was awarded the 2022 World Cup hosting rights in 2010, told Swiss newspaper Tages Anzeiger “Qatar is a mistake,” adding that “the choice was bad.” The Qatar decision has been marred by controversy, including allegations of corruption and human rights violations, since it was first announced. Blatter, who led FIFA for 17 years, has also been embroiled in accusations of corruption during his tenure. '

 

The Qatar situation is more egregious than most World Cups, given the deaths building the venue and the 'legitimizing of Qatar'.  But we legitimized Russia by going to Socchi and legitimized China by going to Beijing.  Authoritarian or hard-line regimes write off the financial loss from hosting (mostly due to the cost of stadium construction that are then underutilized after the event) because of the international diplomacy aspect and normalling (see, we are not at all that bad).  Japan isn't authoritarian, but faced a huge cost.

 

https://nypost.com/2021/07/30/tokyo-olympics-expected-to-lose-30-billion-huge-disaster/

 

'Smith College economics Andrew Zimbalist and author of “Circus Maximus: The Economic Gamble Behind Hosting the Olympics and the World Cup,” told The Post he predicts the Organizing Committee spent $35 billion on the Summer Games — a far cry from the $7.3 billion of its initial budget.'

 

The Qatar decision forced the event (summer heat) to be moved to November, instead of the traditional summer slot.  Many domestic soccer leagues had to alter their schedule in order to accommodate the World Cup.  I would think injuries would be a heightened risk during/right after the event, due to the altered routine.

 

So as a viewer, is it more important than I am aware of the corruption of FIFA/IOC, the problems of the host nation, or protest by not watching and effect Nielson ratings?  I would argue that whether Americans watch or not could potential effect the amount of revenue generated by sponsors/TV contracts in future World Cup cycles.   But I think it would take 2 or 3 events of declining interest in order for these international conglomerates to take notice and consider changing their operating procedure.

 

In summary, I am the aware of the implicit support of FIFA/Qatar conveyed by me watching these games.  If I check out Internet photos of women, I am implicitly supporting the objectification of women.  It's futbol, it happens every 4 years, so I give myself a pass to enjoy watching sports.  With everything else going on in the world, I give myself a pass to just relax and enjoy.

I mean to each their own, however I completely disagree with the rationalization. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

I mean to each their own, however I completely disagree with the rationalization. 

Do you watch the Olympics?  Do you look at pornography?   “If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her” - John 8.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, fletch said:

Do you watch the Olympics?  Do you look at pornography?   “If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her” - John 8.

No, I don't watch the Olympics.

 

Porn participants are willing. Nobody signed up to die building a stadium, and any country guilty of those atrocities should never have been awarded a World Cup. 

 

I also don't subscribe to the Bible's purity test. It's a convenient way of saying "you can't point out my flaws if you have flaws of your own," which is absurd. 

 

And I wouldn't necessarily call anyone out for watching any world Cup ever, this one just happens to be especially egregious. 

Edited by Pete
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Can't believe anyone would watch this considering the human rights violations of the country, and all the deaths building the venue. 

 

Disgusting. (Not the people watching, the people doing)

How many souls have died watching Rangers hockey each year though? 
 

  • Applause 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

No, I don't watch the Olympics.

 

Porn participants are willing. Nobody signed up to die building a stadium, and any country guilty of those atrocities should never have been awarded a World Cup. 

 

I also don't subscribe to the Bible's purity test. It's a convenient way of saying "you can't point out my flaws if you have flaws of your own," which is absurd. 

 

And I wouldn't necessarily call anyone out for watching any world Cup ever, this one just happens to be especially egregious. 

 

Fair, and I understand your point of yiew of an individual consumer choosing not to watch due to all the problems with Qatar.  I also understand your right to advocate your point of view to try and convince others.

 

I do disagree with the hypocracy of a sanctimonious tone without introspection as your own role as a consumer.

 

I am not a vegan (minus for me).

I drive a SUV (minus for me) but work from home (plus for me).

I haven't ridden an airplane in 5+ years (plus for me).

 

I don't go to pornographic sites, but don't mind some eye candy in my browser.

 

Etc.

 

I'm glad that you expressed disgust at people watching the World Cup in this thread to help illustrate the issues with Qatar.  As a consumer, I will make my own choices.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, fletch said:


Fair, and I understand your point of yiew of an individual consumer choosing not to watch due to all the problems with Qatar.  I also understand your right to advocate your point of view to try and convince others.

I don't think I'm trying to convince anyone?

 

Quote

 

I do disagree with the hypocracy of a sanctimonious tone without introspection as your own role as a consumer.

 

I am not a vegan (minus for me).

I drive a SUV (minus for me) but work from home (plus for me).

I haven't ridden an airplane in 5+ years (plus for me).

 

I don't go to pornographic sites, but don't mind some eye candy in my browser.

 

Etc.

 

I'm glad that you expressed disgust at people watching the World Cup in this thread to help illustrate the issues with Qatar. 

 I quite specifically didn't?

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Can't believe anyone would watch this considering the human rights violations of the country, and all the deaths building the venue. 

 

Disgusting. (Not the people watching, the people doing)

 

Quote

As a consumer, I will make my own choices.

No one asked you not to.

 

All I said was, I don't see how anyone can tune in and ignore the hypocrisy (no alcohol...except for the elite), the death, and the human rights violations occurring in the country.

 

If you equate that to being vegan or driving an SUV, well I just don't see it the same way, but everyone doesn't always need to see eye to eye. 🍻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a big fan of the fivethirtyeight sports predictions.  Here is a link for their model output

 

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-world-cup-predictions/

 

If you click on the bracket tab, you can look at different matchups starting in the round of 16.

 

Every model depends on data input (data on strength and weakness of each team).   So if you alter a team's strength, you alter probability of winning matches and advancing.   

 

Still fun, and they tend to update as each match results are posted (a team wins, it's probability of advancing to various stages increases).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Karan said:

Come on guys, start a separate thread in the Politics forum if you want to debate the ethics of this tournament and Qatar's policies. Could we keep this thread to the sporting aspect?

@Pete@Keirik @Morphinity 2.0

If Pete is game, I'd like a 'Debate Pete' thread in Politics, Religion, Philosophy, & News thread.  Users could take advantage of the @ feature to engage Pete in debate.  Since there are a number of moderators in this thread, feel free to move the debate between Pete and I to the Debate Pete thread.  I do enjoy discussions with Pete, but don't want to distract from the focus of the thread on the World Cup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, fletch said:

@Pete@Keirik @Morphinity 2.0

If Pete is game, I'd like a 'Debate Pete' thread in Politics, Religion, Philosophy, & News thread.  Users could take advantage of the @ feature to engage Pete in debate.  Since there are a number of moderators in this thread, feel free to move the debate between Pete and I to the Debate Pete thread.  I do enjoy discussions with Pete, but don't want to distract from the focus of the thread on the World Cup.

Why would they do that? 

 

You Lose Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Karan said:

Come on guys, start a separate thread in the Politics forum if you want to debate the ethics of this tournament and Qatar's policies. Could we keep this thread to the sporting aspect?

 

1 hour ago, fletch said:

@Pete@Keirik @Morphinity 2.0

If Pete is game, I'd like a 'Debate Pete' thread in Politics, Religion, Philosophy, & News thread.  Users could take advantage of the @ feature to engage Pete in debate.  Since there are a number of moderators in this thread, feel free to move the debate between Pete and I to the Debate Pete thread.  I do enjoy discussions with Pete, but don't want to distract from the focus of the thread on the World Cup.

 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Why would they do that? 

 

You Lose Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

 

 


 

Alright guys, I think the points have been made. Let’s keep this thread about the actual World Cup and feel free to create a separate thread in the Political subform to dive deeper and discuss the controversies surrounding the tournament. 
 

Time to get back on track. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Keirik said:

 

 


 

Alright guys, I think the points have been made. Let’s keep this thread about the actual World Cup and feel free to create a separate thread in the Political subform to dive deeper and discuss the controversies surrounding the tournament. 
 

Time to get back on track. 

Oh, I thought we were kidding. Are we not kidding?

 

Confused High Quality GIF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...