• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022 World Cup

Cash or Czech

3 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

That would be nice...

I guess I overestimated Iran. I blame my Iranian friend who's talked non-stop about how good they are the last months lol

I’ll keep saying it until I’m blue in the face. The Iran you see against The US will be a very different Iran. 

On 11/20/2022 at 5:51 PM, Cash or Czech said:

But there were four defenders behind the keeper? The keeper establishes the final line? Feel like I don’t know the rules anymore…

Either way this game is going as expected. Ecuador are more than a decent side. 

Haven't seen the scene in question, but the keeper doesn't establish a final line.

The rule in question just says:

"A player is in an offside position if: any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents' half (excluding the halfway line) and. any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent."

Usually the Keeper is the last opponent, but if he comes out and behind him is one of his teammates, that player becomes the last opponent.

With that said, TV ruined the offsides rule, because what once was just a general rule for the refs to enforce as best as they could turned into something overanalysed to death with lines drawn that can tell you if someone was offsides by a hair.

3 minutes ago, H-Dreamer said:

Haven't seen the scene in question, but the keeper doesn't establish a final line.

The rule in question just says:

"A player is in an offside position if: any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents' half (excluding the halfway line) and. any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent."

Usually the Keeper is the last opponent, but if he comes out and behind him is one of his teammates, that player becomes the last opponent.

With that said, TV ruined the offsides rule, because what once was just a general rule for the refs to enforce as best as they could turned into something overanalysed to death with lines drawn that can tell you if someone was offsides by a hair.

That's why I'm so confused. Because there were several players behind the ball including two players and the keeper at or behind the ball.

spacer.png

Edited by Cash or Czech

1 minute ago, Cash or Czech said:

Makes the group way more interesting and much more difficult for USA to get through. Iran will be challenging, and we need to beat them more than Wales does and lose to England by less. Challenge.

Yeah, as a lot of folks expected, it's likely now going to come down to goal differential between USA and Wales as to to who gets to move on. A win today would've made the path so much easier.

1-1 tough result for both USA and Wales, both deserved 3 points.  Sparkling goal from USA, and as others said Wales really dominated second half.  Prognosticators already have England in second round.  Unfortunately it may come down to goal difference - I'm hoping USA can outperform Wales against England and Iran.  I hate goal difference because it encourages running up the score, and why we apparently have to deal with 8-10 minutes of stoppage time in the second half so no one complains about not getting a full 90 minutes of play.  This stoppage time increase over past World Cups is probably worth debating. I guess I like it because it takes away the fake injuries and substitutions to waste time, but hate that teams down 3 goals have to play extra time because of the potential importance of goal difference.

USA very lucky. They had a fantastic first half but the game changed at halftime. Keiffer Moore made a big difference for them. Definitely was a penalty and a needless one at that. Lack of experience was likely the factor.

the extra time is very strange so far this World Cup. They have to be doing a very literal calculation of time with the ball out of play to get some of these numbers. I like it, but it’s going to take some time to get used to. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CCCP said:

US definitely lost an opportunity today. Didnt like the way they played at all. With all the possession in the first half they only had 2-3 quality chances. Refereeing didnt help either. 

1st half they dominated yet only had 1 shot. Hugely missed opportunity.  

Why wasn't Reyna playing ?????? So strange. 

23 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

My predictions:

England 1-0 Iran

USA 1-1 Wales

I got one right.

USA - Wales been the best game for a neutral fan so far. USA the best team in the 1st half, Wales the better in 2nd. I guess 1-1 was a fair result and keeps the group wide open. Every goal scored or conceded matters now.

Nice to see Pulisic enjoying football again. He had a really good game.

• Like 1