• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Let's Talk About the Bottom-6

Albatrosss

Carpenter/Reaves is a big problem at this point. The 4th lines job is to have not much happening, eat some minutes so the better players can catch their breath…maybe pot a goal here and there. That line is getting destroyed almost every time they are on ice. It’s a huge liability.

Carpenter shouldn’t be anywhere near an NHL lineup. Reaves should be a plug and play as needed - not a permanent fixture. He’s not a deterrent to anything. The injuries hurt because Chytil and Kravtsov back in pushes Goodrow and Vesey back down and hopefully Carpenter and Reaves out most nights. Vesey wasn’t bad last night and as much as I think he’s not that great, he’s better than Carpenter and Reaves by a long shot.

I don’t know why the team hasn’t dipped into some reserves here to see what they got. Noone can watch these games and think Carpenter is an NHL player or that Reaves is an everyday guy.

Edited by rmc51

Just now, rmc51 said:

Carpenter/Reaves is a big problem at this point. The 4th lines job is to have not much happening, eat some minutes so the better players can catch their breath…maybe pot a goal here and there. That line is getting destroyed almost every time they are on ice. It’s a huge liability.

Carpenter shouldn’t be anywhere near an NHL lineup. Reaves should be a plug and play as needed - not a permanent fixture. He’s not a deterrent to anything. The injuries hurt because Chytil and Kravtsov back in pushes Goodrow and Vesey back down. Vesey wasn’t bad last night and as much as I think he’s not that great, he’s better than Carpenter and Reaves by a long shot.

I don’t know why the team hasn’t dipped into some reserves here to see what they got. Noone can watch these games and think Carpenter is an NHL player or that Reaves is an everyday guy.

I"m done with Reaves. Guy was useless last year, too. He's a side show. He should fucking release himself at this point. He was a luxury that outlived his usefulness.

You want to know what one of the biggest disappointments of last night? The Bruins retaliated for a clean hit on Trent Frederic...And the Rangers did nothing after a cheap shot on a top pairing defenseman. That's fucking embarrassing.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Bullseye 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

I"m done with Reaves. Guy was useless last year, too. He's a side show. He should fucking release himself at this point. He was a luxury that outlived his usefulness.

You want to know what one of the biggest disappointments of last night? The Bruins retaliated for a clean hit on Trent Frederic...And the Rangers did nothing after a cheap shot on a top pairing defenseman. That's fucking embarrassing.

Not sure what the point of Reaves is if the other team’s best player can cheapshot Lindgren without retribution. Sickening

• Applause 1

3 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

If we found a way to clear Reaves contract in the offseason we could've found a better option than Carpenter for 4th line center since they refuse to use Goodrow at center when Chytil is healthy.

GG seems very fickle when it comes to center/winger. He refused to use Copp at C, he refuses to use Goody at C, refused to let Chytil on wing have any breathing room despite having playing like him in the bottom 6 is a real "iffy" strategy.

I'm telling you, I'd be shocked if he lasts through next season.

47 minutes ago, Pete said:

GG seems very fickle when it comes to center/winger. He refused to use Copp at C, he refuses to use Goody at C, refused to let Chytil on wing have any breathing room despite having playing like him in the bottom 6 is a real "iffy" strategy.

I'm telling you, I'd be shocked if he lasts through next season.

Gallant never makes it to season 3.

I'm not sure how teams the first season after Gallant gets fired, but I'm sure someone here knows the stats.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

9a9cbd6c-815a-4ea8-9850-21b061035e77_tex

Not to be a broken record, but why oh why did they extend Reaves, a year in advance, at over double what they are paying the bottom guys on the roster, when they absolutely didn't have to!  Whatever made them think Carpenter was serviceable?  In both of these cases, and in others, the Used To Play For GG factor is overriding good solid decision making.

By February, other glaring necessities will be apparent, so I don't think they will be able to use banked cap space to rebuild the 4th line.  They may have to carry enough players due to injuries to prevent us from having the cap space to do much of anything.

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Careful there. I got a handful when i called Reeves a clown last year. Shesty release us?  Wtf is that?

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Bottom 6 is tough since Laf and Kakko got promoted. We need an energy forechecking line. This is the best I can muster with what's available.

3- Blais- Chytil- Gauthier 

4- Goodrow-Brodzinski-Vesey

Any line is better without Reeves on it. But all of them are pussies

Krieder and Zip have contributed 1 Even strength goal combined.  Panarin's line is constantly scored upon and while they put up points they gift wrap opportunities against and get worked at even strength.  Panarin has 16 points yet is somehow -5.  Think about that

1 hour ago, cupalife said:

Krieder and Zip have contributed 1 Even strength goal combined.  Panarin's line is constantly scored upon and while they put up points they gift wrap opportunities against and get worked at even strength.  Panarin has 16 points yet is somehow -5.  Think about that

Top top 6 is fine.  They vastly out chance the opponent and are at the top of the league in generating high danger chances.  The law of averages will improve their conversion rate.

Two thirds of the 3rd line is injured.

2 hours ago, cupalife said:

The bottom 6 is a problem. Its destined to be a problem when the top 6 is being paid $36M and that's with Kakko and Laf making peanuts.

fair point and we're still waiting on the big breakout from both.  There's issues throughout at this point. Combined with a brutal bottom six and Igor coming back down to earth vs. walking on water. 

Edited by jsrangers