• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Let's Talk About the Bottom-6

Albatrosss

Our bottom 6 is pretty useless as any kind of an offensive threat and needs serious re-thinking.  I know Chytil is out injured and without him the 3rd line looks offensively inept but Chytil, when he was playing, looked like a one man show on that line. The only one who actually created offense and was involved. But it's Chytil, a guy who never put up more than 23 points.  His linemates are no picnic either.  

The 4th line is even worse.  If they score 5 goals all season, it would be an achievement.  i think one of the reasons the rangers were on a losing skid for 4 games was because of secondary scoring or lack thereof from the 3rd and 4th lines.  If the team is going to have any kind of success all season and in the playoffs, 3rd and 4th lines have to be able to contribute offensively.  With the team in cap hell, im not sure what possibilities are out there for an upgrade.  

• Like 1

This season, they haven’t been able to establish their identify, yet. I liked the 3 skilled lines approach from the playoffs. And they have enough roles players to plug in to add another dynamic.

I’ll complain, but I’d like to see the lineup with Kravtsov and Chytil healthy. Some are high on Blais, although I don’t see it, so maybe he needs another month to get back into it. And now Gauthier is going, so there’s another option. 

and then you have a big, physical 4th line. I mentioned during the summer I’d like to add a “spitfire” to a line of Goodrow and Reaves. A quick, fast guy that does in and creates a bit of havoc and pressure on the dmen. They are really missing that aspect, right now. I was hoping Henriksson could add that,  if he didn’t get that look. Even Trivigno was on that potential path. 

• Like 2

• Phil changed the title to Let's Talk About the Bottom-6
1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

Fine.

Lets talk.

They need 2 pieces there.

Which are easily acquired at the deadline. 

That is all

Which ..

A) We have plenty of assets to acquire those

and

B) I'd rather have to fill 2 bottom 6 slots instead of 2 top 6 slots!

• Bullseye 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Which ..

A) We have plenty of assets to acquire those

and

B) I'd rather have to fill 2 bottom 6 slots instead of 2 top 6 slots!

Yup

They have 8-9 forwards they trust.

A few good options they can insert or shuffle. 

A couple of pinch options that aren’t bad.

And bottom-6 guys are easy and cheap to acquire.

Stop worrying. 

It’s fine. 

• Believe 1

Name for fourth line: "The Lodestones"?; "The Bottom Three?"; "The Lack of Identity Line?", The GAS Line (goal a season), "The Dog House?". Or how about The Butterknife Line (instead of Islanders old Buzzsaw Line) or the "Crash and Burn Line" (instead of the Devils "Crash Line").  Lets do a little pool: in what game number will the 4th line score its first goal.  I'll say 19.

Ryan Reaves has worst minus so far.  Can a guy who, with some scratches, plays a third of the minutes of the top 9 forwards lead a team in minus for the season?  Stay tuned.

Chytil and Gauthier don't have qualities to make the players around them better, but after ruminating on the last goal scored by each of those guys, I like the idea of sticking them together for a while, with Goodrow there to cover for their mistakes.

• Like 1
  • LMFAO 1

8 minutes ago, CBrowningPI said:

Goat - Chytil - Kravtsov (if he's not in a coma) seems like it could work well but we may never get a chance to see.

a line that should only exist in a parallel universe because Goat should be in the AhL, Chytil on IR, Krav back with Putin

• LMFAO 1

Until Chytil comes back, 3rd line needs to be Blais- Goodrow- Gauthier. As I said in another thread, I feel Blais can be a guy that will skate hard enough to get the the net while Gauthier does his thing. Collect the rebounds, create havoc, draw attention  and all the stuff we expected from him. Goodrow will be a defensive anchor,  but he too will find himself at the goalmouth. Give them proper minutes and see where it goes.

When Chytil comes back , reassemble the kid line or a variation of it with Kravtsov. Pulling one if Kakko or Lafrenière from the top 6. 

Drop that 91-21-12 line down to the 4th line and and then you have a better lineup. Just would need a piece to plug in on the top 6,  which was musical chairs last session anyway and they can afford to wait it out for Kane at the deadline for the upgrade of upgrades.   

20 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

He’s dangling himself to 25 points on the top line. Amazing

Baseball has the Mendoza line, the Rangers have the Chytil line of 23 pts.  At least Kakko is dangling above it. 👍

Edited by jsrangers