• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Trochek Is Surprisingly Much Different Than Strome Was

Valriera

I don’t know that I’m sold just yet, although I think the signs are good, that trochek is a great 2c replacement and we really lucked out.

what DOES stand out to me is just how much different he is from strome. I only watched him when the rangers played against florida and Carolina and knew he was happy to shoot the puck which is a difference. But the guy is also far more active on the powerplay in the same space, he skates the puck far more often, he goes to the dirty areas far more often, and is much better from the dot although the whole team is this year.

on the downside he’s a worse passer and worse in our zone.

I really wasn’t expecting as different a player as he is. 

• Like 1

He was one of the few names suggested that I thought would adequately replace Strome (I don't buy Panarin magically making him a 40G/80pt player).

He started off slow but seems to be settling in. I think it took him a while to adjust, coming from a well coached and structured team, to this team who's very free-wheeling. 

He's prone to the obnoxious turnover every now and then, and he takes some low percentage shot where Strome and Panarin would usually reset, but maybe that's not such a bad thing on this team. The top 6 needed something to break their mold of same-ness. 

Hopefully he continues to gel, but he's getting better every game. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1
  • VINNY! 3
  • Keeps it 100 2

I like him...I think Pete has this one pegged.  He's seemed to get better with each passing game, and it's gotta be some type of culture shock to go to a system like ours.

He is pretty good at the faceoff dot, which is taking me some time to get used to!!!  LOL

I think the biggest difference is shot volume. Strome fit so well with that group because, like them, he passed really well and could see plays developing to build those tic-tac-toe moments. Trocheck can, too, and has been doing it with more regularity as the season has gone on, but what I notice from him that's distinct from Strome is a shoot-first mentality. 41 shots on the year so far. Second only to Zib at 51.

• VINNY! 2

22 minutes ago, Phil said:

I don't know that I'd go that far. I'd say different type of player. Semantics, maybe, but I don't see him a tier ahead.

I think you're right...he tends to "shoot first"...but we need that more, I think.

I'll agree better, and also looking like a better fit because he can play more or different ways.  I see him a lot more physical than Strome as well, boss...

I would go that far. I don't even think Strome is a better passer. He was pass-first, yes, but that doesn't make him a better passer. Trocheck is also a terrific passer and he's already made a few beautiful passes for goals. Can't let his willingness to shoot distract from his ability to pass.

Shot - Tro

Faceoffs - Tro

Physicality - Tro

Defense - Tro

PP presence - Tro

PK presence - Tro

Passing - wash

Nice guy persona - Strome

I have to walk back what I said about the team should have just kept Strome at 5x5 vs. Trocheck's deal. It's not even close in my book.

I think everyone also needs to remember it's 10 games into a 7 year deal, so declaring one contract better than another is wildly premature.

@Phil had it right. Just a different kind of player and probably similar production at the end of the day, but appreciate the willingness to shoot more.

Edited by Pete
  • Keeps it 100 1

Trocheck has that Carolina "Corsi is everything" mentality. He gets real dirty and wins the puck battles, and then he finds a way to get it on net even if it's not an ideal shot. 

It's a different look for this team, for sure. And a positive one, clearly. Hard to not take notice of how guys like Chytil have added a bit of that into his game.

• Applause 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think everyone also needs to remember it's 10 games into a 7 year deal, so declaring one contract better than another is wildly premature.

@Phil had it right. Just a different kind of player and probably similar production at the end of the day, but appreciate the willingness to shoot more.

Completely agreed. I still think it'll mostly come out the same in the wash, but I'm hoping the shoot-first mentality and that little added physicality will be more beneficial in the playoffs. We'll see.

He just takes a different route to get to  pretty much the same end point. The move from Strome to Trocheck mostly was necessary in my opinion for two reasons. 
1. Faceoffs

2. Strome was almost too complimentary/agreeable with Panarin’’s style and often would just mimic whatever bread was doing. 

Number two really only becomes necessary in tougher playoff or playoff like games. It’s way too early to really see how number 2 will play out. I was championing for Trocheck for a while so we will see how this all goes. Like @Petesaid, it’s 10 games into a long contract but so far so good. 

39 minutes ago, Pete said:

There will almost certainly be a point in time where we will want to rid ourselves of Tro's contract and it will be an albatross around the neck. Zibanejad's will reach that point also. However, for the purposes of giving the team the best chance to win a Cup in the next 3 seasons, the player ability between Tro and Strome is not as close as I thought it was. The early return is Tro in a landslide.

• Like 2

Tro doesnt just shoot more than strome...he actually hits the net... consistently. And not prone to choke on wide open chances. He plays with a ton more confidence than strome. Looks a tier above to me. And nevermind the regular season, if above carries through or is even amplified in the playoffs, its a blowout between the two.

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

There will almost certainly be a point in time where we will want to rid ourselves of Tro's contract and it will be an albatross around the neck. Zibanejad's will reach that point also. However, for the purposes of giving the team the best chance to win a Cup in the next 3 seasons, the player ability between Tro and Strome is not as close as I thought it was. The early return is Tro in a landslide.

i agree.  but then again, i never liked Strome.  its only 10 games but so far so good

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

Maybe, yeah. Maybe not. I think the team fully recognize they're in a window to win now and they're gonna go for it. I seriously doubt they've given a ton of thought into gameplanning what happens three, four, or five years from now. But if you're looking for a potential exit ramp, it's likely somewhere between 2027 and 2028. Trocheck's signing bonuses are cut in half to $1.5 million for 2027–28 and $1.0 million for 2028–29. Base salary of $3 million in both years, so figure trade deadline of 2027–28?

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

Well, like I said...It's been 10 games.

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

There will almost certainly be a point in time where we will want to rid ourselves of Tro's contract and it will be an albatross around the neck.

So true! I would extend this notion to just about any player too. And for sure, coaches. Eventually, it all gets long in the tooth and it's time to move on.

Edited by 4EverRangerFrank

1 hour ago, Jdog99 said:

Tro doesnt just shoot more than strome...he actually hits the net... consistently. And not prone to choke on wide open chances. He plays with a ton more confidence than strome. Looks a tier above to me. And nevermind the regular season, if above carries through or is even amplified in the playoffs, its a blowout between the two.

Trochek took 168 shots last year and missed the net 86 times, 3rd on the team.

Strome took 161 shots and missed the net 51 times.

It's all in your head, mate, and you're using one moment to define someone's entire tenure o the team. "plays with more confidence", again, how is anyone quantifying that?

I’m not trashing Strome by saying this… but there’s no denial that Trochek is a better, more well-rounded, more versatile and complete hockey player than Strome. Or Copp. 

Which is why that Trochek is here and the others are not. 

Period.

Hes a true center, who plays big minutes in all situations vs top players in your top-6. 
Does everything and is good at all of it, and has the highest ceiling of the 3 in terms of offensive production.

Let it play out.

I would argue in the series vs Carolina last postseason, Trochek was Carolina’s best player.