• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Henrik Lundqvist Joins MSG Sports and MSG Entertainment in New Role

Keirik

Madison Square Garden Sports Corp and Madison Square Garden Entertainment Corp announced today that New York Rangers legend Henrik Lundqvist will be joining both organizations in a unique new role that helps support business operations for each company. In this position, Lundqvist will be involved in numerous areas including representing MSG Sports and MSG Entertainment in a variety of partner and sponsorship endeavors, assisting with content development for digital platforms across both companies, growing and strengthening the connection with Rangers alumni, as well as lending his support with the Garden of Dreams Foundation. In addition, Lundqvist will once again be a lead studio analyst on MSG Network throughout the Rangers season.

"During the past year since I announced my retirement, I have enjoyed the opportunity to explore many different areas of the sports and entertainment industry and I look forward to continuing on that path," said Lundqvist. "At the same time, I am a Ranger at heart, and Madison Square Garden is my home. I am thrilled to continue my relationship with MSG and the Rangers in this exciting, expanded role."

Man we are still so fortunate that Hank took that buyout so gracefully and still bleeds blue as much as he does. Pure class. 

• JIMMY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

This was briefly talked about in the general offseason thread, but good call on a new thread. I'll repeat what I said about it:

He's perfect for that kind of role. He does a fuck load of charity and outreach work and no one has a more recognizable face to tie him to the MSG/Rangers brand.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

He would have been stupid not to; his whole brand is attached to the NYR. More a business decision than fortune imo.

How? He’s a god in his homeland and the NHL itself would have been just fine probably taking him in for a role. His brand exceeds past our organization. He just prefers to remain in NYC and with the Rangers in my opinion. 

Edited by Keirik

Henrik is pure class and I know hindsight is 20/20, and I know the buyout was a tough decision for all involved, but the way things shook out that really is one of the top 5 personnel blunders in NHL history, maybe the worst. I can't think of a player who is destined for the Hall of Fame that got bought out by the only team he ever played for and gave his life to, and then never played another game in the NHL. Can't think of one. Will sting me to my grave. 

10 hours ago, Valriera said:

Henrik is pure class and I know hindsight is 20/20, and I know the buyout was a tough decision for all involved, but the way things shook out that really is one of the top 5 personnel blunders in NHL history, maybe the worst. I can't think of a player who is destined for the Hall of Fame that got bought out by the only team he ever played for and gave his life to, and then never played another game in the NHL. Can't think of one. Will sting me to my grave. 

Bourque?

4 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Not the same situation at all.  Boston traded him so that he could have the chance to go win.  They did him a favor.  The Rangers straight fucked Henrik sans lube.

Yep, and they didn't even have to. Saved them nothing against the cap. 

• Bullseye 1

12 hours ago, CCCP said:

Yes but moving Geo was not a good strategy move. He was young and up and coming, while Henrik was old and done. Its a business and there was no reason for sentiments 

When the Rangers had Hank, Georgiev and Shesterkin on the roster, moving Georgiev was the good strategy move.

Moving Georgiev the year before was even the good strategy move. He was the backup no matter what. There was supposedly interest from Toronto.  They could have gotten max value for that piece of shit.

Keeping Georgiev, just because he was young and homegrown is just as sentimental.. He had no future here. Ever. 

Buying out a Ranger icon who wasn't even playing that bad and doing absolutely nothing with the cap space, was just..  weird. He had one year left and in hindsight,  they would have made out like bandits as he would  go on LTIR, then be forced to retire. Allllll that capspace and no dead space after. 

I'm shocked he came back in good faith to MSG. Gotta wonder if the Rangers knew of his condition and this was the way to ensure he made the most money he could. IDK Just weird that there were no hard feelings there. 

Edited by The Dude