• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sabres Re-Sign Tage Thompson to 7-Year/$50m Extension; $7.14m AAV

Phil

The chances that he will turn out to be worth $5m per season are greater than the chances that he will be worth $9m, so this is obviously not a good team deal.  I'm not sure if there still is or should be a Buffalo tax.  They aren't close to contention but have turned a corner.  The chances of them being a contender in five years is no worse than the chances for Columbus, where Goudreau signed.  Their chances in five years may be better than Calgary's.

30 minutes ago, CCCP said:

im not going to pretend i know i lot about this guy but he scored 38 goals last season and now is locked up for all his prime years.  Pretty good deal IMO

Imagine if they didn't blackball Eichel. They may actually be on track but a contract like that after one season of success and no upward trend prior is dangerous. Tage Thompson is the next Petr Prucha but making WAYYYYY more 💰!

14 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Imagine if they didn't blackball Eichel. They may actually be on track but a contract like that after one season of success and no upward trend prior is dangerous. Tage Thompson is the next Petr Prucha but making WAYYYYY more 💰!

Prucha never sniffed 38 goals.  But in today's NHL everyone's getting rewarded after one good season.  It's probably because there are no bridge contracts anymore.  i mean, look at our own Adam Fox

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I pay really close attention to Tage bc he would always score against the Rangers in big moments when he was potting like 7 a year. He was awesome last year and has a great combo of size and release on his shot. I think he will continue to be a 35/35 guy and Buffalo always has to pay a premium 

I’ve liked the kid, and glad he showed up big last season. But damn, this contract is a bit much. this takes him years passed his prime when he’s only had one good season. 

11 hours ago, CCCP said:

It takes him until he’s 32. Still prime

Term is not the issue; it's the AAV.

Does he become an annual 30+ goal and/or  60 point guy?

If yes, that is good value and will become much better every year as the salary cap goes up.

Anything short of that production though and this is an unnecessary overpay any way that you slice it.

Edited by MuddyInTheMiddle

• 1 month later...

Buffalo is looking solid. As usual with that franchise it's getting players to actually stay there long term (along with attracting free agents). Signing him to a long-term deal was a great thing. There's definitely something good brewing there finally. I think there's a good comradery developing there with the young talent and you'll see more of them signing long-term contracts when it is time.