• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Dolan to Sell Rangers, Knicks, MSG?

• Phil changed the title to Dolan to Sell Rangers, Knicks, MSG?
50 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

He was a terrible owner pre-Jaromir Jagr

I dunno imo an owners job is to fund the team (which he did remarkably) and to hire the right guys to run it. Smith had just won a cup so he had a bit of a leash and he then brought in legendary gm sather (who we can have a separate thread on alone). Am I missing anything he did on the bad side because I can’t think of anything. 

1 minute ago, Gravesy said:

Maybe. I'd argue early returns suggests that was a good decision.

In fact, the only argument I can find against it is that JD is such a nice man.

yea I’m on the same boat however I will say I thought Gorton was on the right path. 

28 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Unless the new owner gets heavily involved or invokes internal salary caps a la Dumbdumb in Carolina? I doubt it because we're one of the biggest market teams in the league, but there's always the outside chance.

Oh, if new ownership are hands on? Yeah, I guess. I just meant in terms of response. Rangers fans have no real reason to particularly care about this happening or not happening because he's mostly an absentee owner anyway.

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

Oh, if new ownership are hands on? Yeah, I guess. I just meant in terms of response. Rangers fans have no real reason to particularly care about this happening or not happening because he's mostly an absentee owner anyway.

They should care simply because he's an absentee owner - and that's let the Rangers get away with some shit that the Knicks could never strictly because he's an absentee owner. It's worth noting that he's easily one of the better, if not among the best owners in hockey almost entirely because of that. Money is never an issue. He's rarely if ever meddlesome. 

We see how ownership can cause problems elsewhere - even really rich owners like in Philly or Ottawa. 

• Keeps it 100 2

Bailing out the Islanders was the biggest mark against him.

Right now, I'd prefer Dolan as the devil I know over some devil I don't know.

Dolan was hands off, and I'm leery of a more hands on owner who thinks he knows something about hockey.

I have a feeling that if you don't like micro ticket pricing and screwing season holders on playoffs, you may have seen nothing yet.

The whole debacle of 1975 was prompted by a new corporate overseer getting active and forcing Francis to do things.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

They should care simply because he's an absentee owner - and that's let the Rangers get away with some shit that the Knicks could never strictly because he's an absentee owner. It's worth noting that he's easily one of the better, if not among the best owners in hockey almost entirely because of that. Money is never an issue. He's rarely if ever meddlesome. 

We see how ownership can cause problems elsewhere - even really rich owners like in Philly or Ottawa. 

Right, I can understand this.

27 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Bailing out the Islanders was the biggest mark against him.

Right now, I'd prefer Dolan as the devil I know over some devil I don't know.

Dolan was hands off, and I'm leery of a more hands on owner who thinks he knows something about hockey.

I have a feeling that if you don't like micro ticket pricing and screwing season holders on playoffs, you may have seen nothing yet.

The whole debacle of 1975 was prompted by a new corporate overseer getting active and forcing Francis to do things.

Agree completely with this. There's some appeal to having an owner who actually does know something, but they're rare. You're far more likely to end up with Eugene Melnyk than you are Tom Dundon.

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Right, I can understand this.

Agree completely with this. There's some appeal to having an owner who actually does know something, but they're rare. You're far more likely to end up with Eugene Melnyk than you are Tom Dundon.

Charles Wang!

In general, a change in team ownership is a funny thing- 

As a fan you want an owner committed to winning, not afraid to spend, who will hire the right people and get the fuck out of the way. 

In reality- you have a person who is really really good at what they do (or get born really lucky) and has know success at level I can't fathom. They are normally either the smartest, ballsiest, or most cunning person in the room.. They are dropping a billion plus depending on the league, its hard to check the ego and let the "professionals" manage it..

I live in Charlotte- Panthers new owner David Tepper is a fucking PR disaster.. He's done some good things, but the bad have been really visible.. In his mind he's the smartest guy in every room on planet earth and it shows in the management of his teams..  Football team is a mess... The MLS team is in year one and can't keep leadership staff, a member of the upper echelon of the management quits on almost a monthly basis..  Everyone here would probably take the old owner, sadly he was a dirty old man.. As @Sod16 correctly pointed out, the Devil you know is almost always better.  

Selling it of in pieces might make sense? 

Its a metric fuckton of money for the whole package.. Knicks are valued around 6 billion, Rangers at about 2 billion, Msg at about 3.5 billion... You are looking at a precious few people in this world that can peel off 12 billion dollars.

If he's selling everything,  I feel like something is up. Like they are definitely getting booted out of MSG by asscunt Hochul (cause you know she'll be back, as NY MUST vote the way it does) and he can't find a reasonable building ground for a new arena,  or can't get enough public funding to eat most of the cost. 

I'm sure Cablevision or whatever it's called now is taking a big hit on cable cancelations. But the teams always do well. I don't know how an almost obsolete cable product can have a tie to the Knicks and Rangers, but it seems fishy that Dolan would sell the teams. That's his "in" with the rich crowd and the teams are  an automatic money maker. 

This worries me for some reason. If this is true, my conspiracy mind thinks there's something else going on here and if there is a new owner a big can of worms will be opened and the teams may have to suffer. No way Dolan has all of this set up on "the up and up" for this long. A new owner is going to get burned. 

Long winded no facts given nonsense over. Sorry. 

Edited by The Dude

I would think selling it off in pieces would interfere with the highly lucrative practice of selling suites to all Garden events.  It ropes suite subscribers into buying tickets to the dog show (not that I wouldn't prefer that to a Knicks game).