• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign Ryan Carpenter to 1-Year/$750K Deal

Phil

LOL, he doesn't suck. He's a good fourth-line player. The problem, as you said, is that Gallant tends to elevate fourth-liners when his skilled guys don't give him the "jam" he wants out of all his lines. As long as he plays where he's supposed to, this is a good pickup. It'll help the PK tremendously.

Yup, especially because — and it could just be wishful thinking talking here — I think Reaves is kinda done. He's not drawing into very many games at this rate, if he plays at all.

Goodrow-Carpenter-Hunt is gonna be their fourth line.

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

Had a feeling they'd do this. Had his best years with GG in Vegas. Strong PKer. Steady fourth-liner.

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

LOL, he doesn't suck. He's a good fourth-line player. The problem, as you said, is that Gallant tends to elevate fourth-liners when his skilled guys don't give him the "jam" he wants out of all his lines. As long as he plays where he's supposed to, this is a good pickup. It'll help the PK tremendously.

You totally Called this one, man!! 

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yup, especially because — and it could just be wishful thinking talking here — I think Reaves is kinda done. He's not drawing into very many games at this rate, if he plays at all.

Goodrow-Carpenter-Hunt is gonna be their fourth line.

Who you slotting in for 3rd line LW with Laf going to 1st line RW?

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

I hate signing "GGs guys". This guy sucks and he's probably going to end up 2RW by game 10. 

Do you hate what GG has done with the Rangers so far?

I think he's the best coach we've had in a generation.

• LindG1000 changed the title to Rangers Sign Ryan Carpenter to 1-Year/$750K Deal
7 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Who you slotting in for 3rd line LW with Laf going to 1st line RW?

K-Z-Laf

Bread-Trocheck-Kakko

Blais-Chytil-Kravtsov

Goodrow/Carpenter-Hunt

Blais and Kravtsov can figure out who likes the left side more (they're both right-wings).

Goodrow and Carpenter can figure out who likes center more (they're both centers who play wing as needed).

Kakko and Kravtsov might be interchangeable based on playing style/comfort. That'll be Panarin's call, I think.

Laf has to move to the right to balance the attack and to find a meaningful role, or Kreider has to. Either way, Laf to first line.

• TroCheckmark 3

1 minute ago, Phil said:

K-Z-Laf

Bread-Trocheck-Kakko

Blais-Chytil-Kravtsov

Goodrow/Carpenter-Hunt

Blais and Kravtsov can figure out who likes the left side more (they're both right-wings).

Goodrow and Carpenter can figure out who likes center more (they're both centers who play wing as needed).

Kakko and Kravtsov might be interchangeable based on playing style/comfort. That'll be Panarin's call, I think.

Laf has to move to the right to balance the attack and to find a meaningful role, or Kreider has to. Either way, Laf to first line.

K-Z-Laf

Bread-Trocheck-Kakko

Othmann/Cuylle-Chytil-Kravtsov

Goodrow/Carpenter-Blais

Send it.

11 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Do you hate what GG has done with the Rangers so far?

I think he's the best coach we've had in a generation.

I don't know what GG has done, aside from "players love him".

The team defense is a joke. 5 on 5 offense is a joke. Last year was all Shesty and the power play. 

He overplays "his guys". He played Reaves way more than necessary and Reaves was gassed in post season. 

Best coach in a generation? Not sure about that one. Torts did as much, with less talent. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

6 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

K-Z-Laf

Bread-Trocheck-Kakko

Othmann/Cuylle-Chytil-Kravtsov

Goodrow/Carpenter-Blais

Send it.

I'm good with this. I think Othmann and Cuylle will push hard for spots. But given what we know of GG, who loves vets, I'd lean Hunt here.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I don't know what GG has done, aside from "players love him".

The team defense is a joke. 5 on 5 offense is a joke. Last year was all Shesty and the power play. 

He overplays "his guys". He played Reaves way more than necessary and Reaves was gassed in post season. 

Best coach in a generation? Not sure about that one. Torts did as much, with less talent. 

Agree with all of this. I have no love or hate for Gallant. He just exists. Guys love to play for him, I think, because he doesn't have a system of any kind, really. He just lets guys do what they're comfortable doing and is, by all accounts, a great person to be around.

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Agree with all of this. I have no love or hate for Gallant. He just exists. Guys love to play for him, I think, because he doesn't have a system of any kind, really. He just lets guys do what they're comfortable doing and is, by all accounts, a great person to be around.

Exactly, I don't hate the guy. I don't know that he's doing anything wrong, but I don't know that he's doing anything right either. 

All I know is according to his track record, he'll be gone by the 20-game point of 23-24. 

1 minute ago, Valriera said:

I still think Blais start 1RW and Laf stays 3LW which is just ceremonial at this point. With Strome gone, I expect Laf on PP1 and I expect our third line to push for time in the O-Zone.

There's no way Trochek doesn't get PP1. He's a GG guy. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

There's no way Trochek doesn't get PP1. He's a GG guy. 

He's taking Strome's spot in the bumper. The only competition he has for that spot is Lafreniere, and I'd think having your best faceoff guy and a good shooter on the ice for a guaranteed OZ faceoff is one of the few things we could have done to enhance our already awesome power play.

• TroCheckmark 2
  • Keeps it 100 1