• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ducks Sign Ryan Strome to 5-Year/$25M Deal; $5M AAV

• Phil changed the title to Ducks Sign Ryan Strome to 5-Year/$25M Contract; $5M AAV
  • LindG1000 changed the title to Ducks Sign Ryan Strome to 5-Year/$25M Deal; $5M AAV

Hurts, and I still don’t see why this had to happen. I’d take strome at 5x5 and use the extra 600k to shore up 3d with someone slightly better. I know trochek is better in a vacuum but this feels so much like letting Brendan smith/Anton stralman walk for me, albeit less terrible than those were 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

Basically, the Rangers chose Trochek. The entire narrative around Strome negotiations, which stopped entirely leading to free agency, was that they wanted him at $5 million or less. Which, he just signed for. And they paid more for Trocheck.

They walked away.

• Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Basically, the Rangers chose Trochek. The entire narrative around Strome negotiations, which stopped entirely leading to free agency, was that they wanted him at $5 million or less. Which, he just signed for. And they paid more for Trocheck.

They walked away.

That's not necessarily true. Maybe Strome thought he'd get more, Rangers signed Vinny, and Strome signed the best deal that was left, not wanting to get locked out on day one of free agency. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

That's not necessarily true. Maybe Strome thought he'd get more, Rangers signed Vinny, and Strome signed the best deal that was left, not wanting to get locked out on day one of free agency. 

I guess, yeah. Certainly possible he didn't want to be left without a chair.

3 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Hurts, and I still don’t see why this had to happen. I’d take strome at 5x5 and use the extra 600k to shore up 3d with someone slightly better. I know trochek is better in a vacuum but this feels so much like letting Brendan smith/Anton stralman walk for me, albeit less terrible than those were 

I want to see how it all plays out.

I'm confused by the assumption of automatic chemistry with Panarin. The thought process doesn't make sense... Strome had chemistry with Panarin, Trochek is nothing like Strome, yet Trochek will automatically fit with Panarin?

We'll see. 

5 x 5? That’s it? All of the Rangers beat writers were blowing absolute smoke that this was about term or about a high $ when it came to Strome (or Copp for that matter). Both guys took a relatively shorter 5 yr term when everyone said they wanted 7 years. This would have been a great deal for the Rangers.

Anyway, I think Trocheck can work out just fine but either our beat writers are on the take or Drury was feeding them absolute dog shit to work with lol

2 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Good for him. They've got some fun kids on that squad, and had a ton of cap space. Glad to see he got a long-term deal. And has a somewhat familiar face with Vatrano, even if they weren't linemates. 

He'll do well there, but I'm curious what happens to their centers. They have Zegras, McTavish, Ludestrom up the middle already. Is one of them going to wing? You'd imagine so.

Just now, rmc51 said:

5 x 5? That’s it? All of the Rangers beat writers were blowing absolute smoke that this was about term or about a high $ when it came to Strome (or Copp for that matter). Both guys took a relatively shorter 5 yr term when everyone said they wanted 7 years. This would have been a great deal for the Rangers.

Anyway, I think Trocheck can work out just fine but either our beat writers are on the take or Drury was feeding them absolute dog shit to work with lol

Why not both?

• VINNY! 1

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

I want to see how it all plays out.

I'm confused by the assumption of automatic chemistry with Panarin. The thought process doesn't make sense... Strome had chemistry with Panarin, Trochek is nothing like Strome, yet Trochek will automatically fit with Panarin?

We'll see. 

I agree. In my opinion this can and should make or break Drury’s career here. This was the rest of the cap flexibility used up here. The rest has to go to keep a few kids around.

No Cup in the next few seasons and he’s probably canned.

21 minutes ago, Phil said:

They walked away.

I don’t disagree, but I’ll go with the half empty approach and say they targeted/wanted Trocheck, and probably wouldn’t Re-sign Strome or Copp without kicking the tires on ✔️ first. 

• Like 1

I think this was a case of Strome wanting more on the open market and then realizing that it wasn't going to happen so he settled with the highest bidder. Probably kicking himself for asking the Rangers for 6+. (All speculation)

24 minutes ago, Phil said:

He'll do well there, but I'm curious what happens to their centers. They have Zegras, McTavish, Ludestrom up the middle already. Is one of them going to wing? You'd imagine so.

Why not both?

I actually think the more logical change is Strome to move on the wing eventually. I believe back in his Islander days he played a decent amount of wing? 

• Bullseye 1