• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

'Doubtful' Strome Returns to Rangers

Phil

24 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I apologize, I was under the impression he was going UFA this year and believed he would command more than his current contract. So, to keep this convo productive.....who would you trade to bring him back this way? I doubt Panarin waives to go to Winnipeg. Chytil and Krav?

Panarin doesn't have to go to Winnipeg.  You can trade Panarin wherever and either recoup or flip the return.  Sure Chytil, Krav, Jones, Lundkvist, Robertson, picks are all on the table.

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

You only get Schiefele for 1 year at that cap hit then you're back at square 1.

You get Scheifele for 2 years at that price.  Have to take advantage of the next 3 years of Igor before he needs a new deal.  Having Zib/Schiefele would be a great use of 2 of those 3 years.

This is a terrible idea and highly unlikely.

Never said it was likely, just that I'd be okay with it.  As far as being a terrible idea, all depends on how they spend the $10-11 million of cap space it would create.

13 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Panarin doesn't have to go to Winnipeg.  You can trade Panarin wherever and either recoup or flip the return.  Sure Chytil, Krav, Jones, Lundkvist, Robertson, picks are all on the table.

Id say the org is pretty dedicated to Panarin and I think Stromes spot will be filled through UFA signings and not trading. Management has to be happy with the direction this club took this year. I expect them to try and retain the majority of the roster minus Strome, Georgiev and maybe Vatrano. I think they will make plays to keep Motte, Copp (assuming that will be around a 5x5 contract) and assume Blais or Goodrow will fill in where Vatrano has. 

Bringing Namestnikov back brings another Center who can play wing at a far lower price than Strome. Id be open to it. That gives you Goodrow, Chytil, Copp and Namestnikov to play pivot. Im thinking one of them could take off with Panarin.

The issue I have with Copp as a replacement is that for a roomful of guys where there’s accusations of not enough leadership, I get no indication he brings leadership. He appears to me to be a very shy and soft spoken dude. He’s always kind of looking downwards, etc. There’s nothing wrong with that, but when comparing with Stromer, who has good leadership qualities and is vocal/personable/etc., it’s not something that should go unnoticed. A guy like Drury I am sure notices that. I think Strome is Drury’s preference, and he has been full court press on squeezing the price down through the media.

I will also add that I have seen Strome’s compete level raise more in the playoffs than Copp’s. Both are struggling production wise in this Carolina series because Panarin is the guy who the line is revolved around and he has the puck on his stick most of the time - by design as it should be. Everyone knows he’s not doing much good at the moment and it’s tanking the line. It would be nice to see Strome and/or Copp step up and to take a little more initiative with the puck while Panarin is slumping and commanding a lot of attention.

• VINNY! 1

2 hours ago, rmc51 said:

The issue I have with Copp as a replacement is that for a roomful of guys where there’s accusations of not enough leadership, I get no indication he brings leadership. He appears to me to be a very shy and soft spoken dude. He’s always kind of looking downwards, etc. There’s nothing wrong with that, but when comparing with Stromer, who has good leadership qualities and is vocal/personable/etc., it’s not something that should go unnoticed. A guy like Drury I am sure notices that. I think Strome is Drury’s preference, and he has been full court press on squeezing the price down through the media.

I will also add that I have seen Strome’s compete level raise more in the playoffs than Copp’s. Both are struggling production wise in this Carolina series because Panarin is the guy who the line is revolved around and he has the puck on his stick most of the time - by design as it should be. Everyone knows he’s not doing much good at the moment and it’s tanking the line. It would be nice to see Strome and/or Copp step up and to take a little more initiative with the puck while Panarin is slumping and commanding a lot of attention.

The only place Copp beats Strome is in the dot. He isn't physical, he takes O Zone penalties, plus all the shit you're saying.

I have no problem upgrading Strome but you're not getting a better player for less money. 

Schiefele is a clear upgrade but for the short term and the salary + acquisition cost make it unlikely. 

Again, dance with the devil you know. 

(PS they aren't trading Panarin this off season. They're just not.)

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

The only place Copp beats Strome is in the dot. He isn't physical, he takes O Zone penalties, plus all the shit you're saying.

I have no problem upgrading Strome but you're not getting a better player for less money. 

Schiefele is a clear upgrade but for the short term and the salary + acquisition cost make it unlikely. 

Again, dance with the devil you know. 

(PS they aren't trading Panarin this off season. They're just not.)

Probably not, but........

That contract was given out pre-Drury, and moving it is the only way to alleviate the cap issues.  (Unless you're okay with garbage depth)

Everybody thinks Strome's "compete level" has gone up because he caught little Jesper Fast vulnerable lol

He's competing his way to 33% on draws, functionally 0% on meaningful draws, and 1 goal in 10 games. He needs to produce. Period. This isn't a shut down C. He's a guy you live with the deficiencies with, because he puts points up. Produce!

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Everybody thinks Strome's "compete level" has gone up because he caught little Jesper Fast vulnerable lol

He's competing his way to 33% on draws, functionally 0% on meaningful draws, and 1 goal in 10 games. He needs to produce. Period. This isn't a shut down C. He's a guy you live with the deficiencies with, because he puts points up. Produce!

It’s not because of one hit. I already posted his elevated hit count. The rate is 5x his regular season rate. I mean I’ve seen no hesitation to get involved when things get a little chippy on his part. You know who doesn’t lay out little Jesper Fast given that opportunity? At least half the roster lol

It would be nice if his faceoff ability was better, but I’m not sure why you would label it a compete thing. Maybe he just sucks at it? Lol.

3 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

It’s not because of one hit. I already posted his elevated hit count. The rate is 5x his regular season rate. I mean I’ve seen no hesitation to get involved when things get a little chippy on his part. You know who doesn’t lay out little Jesper Fast given that opportunity? At least half the roster lol

It would be nice if his faceoff ability was better, but I’m not sure why you would label it a compete thing. Maybe he just sucks at it? Lol.

Lindgren only has 9 hits, so maybe the hit counter is overrated.

Just now, Long live the King said:

Lindgren only has 9 hits, so maybe the hit counter is overrated.

Lindgren probably has every injury known to man right now. Can’t say I’ve seen him being overly physical like he normally is after G1 against Pitt, so that sounds about right.

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

Lindgren probably has every injury known to man right now. Can’t say I’ve seen him being overly physical like he normally is after G1 against Pitt, so that sounds about right.

And he missed games. 

I think Strome will be missed when/if he is gone.   He is one of the more underappreciated players on the team.  I was/is hoping he would/will take a "home-town" discount and stay.

It is unlikely that, given cap issues, that the Rangers will be replacing him with someone better (I'd say Copp is about equal, and will cost roughly equal, but that's not really a replacement since we already have him), unless a prospect comes in and does amazingly well right off the bat.  

Honestly, you can’t trade Panarin. Even if his playoffs don’t improve, you still need regular season compilers to get you in a playoff spot+

It’s silly talk. Whether Strome retunrns? His production is less of an issue as his faceoff ability. There is too much middle of the road or below middle of the road. At least in terms of overpaying him. Let’s worry about that after a cup win, eh? 

• Applause 1

7 hours ago, NEKRanger said:

I think Strome will be missed when/if he is gone.   He is one of the more underappreciated players on the team.  I was/is hoping he would/will take a "home-town" discount and stay.

It is unlikely that, given cap issues, that the Rangers will be replacing him with someone better (I'd say Copp is about equal, and will cost roughly equal, but that's not really a replacement since we already have him), unless a prospect comes in and does amazingly well right off the bat.  

Strome and Copp will be missed, but not their would-be cap hits 

Episode 5 GIF by The Simpsons

10 hours ago, Keirik said:

Honestly, you can’t trade Panarin. Even if his playoffs don’t improve, you still need regular season compilers to get you in a playoff spot+

It’s silly talk. Whether Strome retunrns? His production is less of an issue as his faceoff ability. There is too much middle of the road or below middle of the road. At least in terms of overpaying him. Let’s worry about that after a cup win, eh? 

I don’t even know where it comes from. 

The idea of trading Panarin now is farsical. He has a full NMC, a cap hit of $11 million+, 4 years left on his deal, and he’s owed another $41.5 million in real dollars in bonuses and salary over those 4 seasons. 

And they’d probably lose any trade they made involving him. 

That’s a trade you make when you’re pushing reset and he’s got a year or maybe 2 remaining. And you eat some salary to up your return. 

You don’t move on from your best offensive player when you’ve just opened your window of contention. 

• Bullseye 2
  • JIMMY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

3 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

I don’t even know where it comes from. 

The idea of trading Panarin now is farsical. He has a full NMC, a cap hit of $11 million+, 4 years left on his deal, and he’s owed another $41.5 million in real dollars in bonuses and salary over those 4 seasons. 

And they’d probably lose any trade they made involving him. 

That’s a trade you make when you’re pushing reset and he’s got a year or maybe 2 remaining. And you eat some salary to up your return. 

You don’t move on from your best offensive player when you’ve just opened your window of contention. 

It's all just recency bias.

On 5/24/2022 at 2:47 PM, rmc51 said:

Copp has 5 goals (tied for 2nd on the team) and 5 assists. He's out-producing both Strome and Panarin and he's not on the top PP unit. 

Copp is quietly having a good playoffs. I take Copp over Strome. Yapping in the locker room and being the guy to say hockey stuff in the post game interviews, isn't much of a leader when your on ice performance is shit and you aren't producing.  

I was a Strome guy, but I move on from him now unless he takes a crazy team friendly deal. I go with Copp or I make a trade. 

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Copp has 5 goals (tied for 2nd on the team) and 5 assists. He's out-producing both Strome and Panarin and he's not on the top PP unit. 

Copp is quietly having a good playoffs. I take Copp over Strome. Yapping in the locker room and being the guy to say hockey stuff in the post game interviews, isn't much of a leader when your on ice performance is shit and you aren't producing.  

I was a Strome guy, but I move on from him now unless he takes a crazy team friendly deal. I go with Copp or I make a trade. 

Well, yeah, Copp just had a 3 point game now since my post so he’s separated himself a bit now point wise. He was awesome last night. He basically did what I was hoping he or Strome would do with Panarin struggling. Make something happen with the puck on his stick rather than waiting for Panarin to break out of the funk. Major kudos to Copper last night.

To say that Strome is "unlikely to return" is to imply that he is here now.

There are only certain players that you make a commitment to at age 27-29, when, if they are decent, you have to give them term and NMC.  Strome may be a guy to sign for shorter terms at a younger age, but you don't make that kind of commitment to him.  

Not a ton, but what we have hasn't been great. Granted, he's likely hurt (the same as everyone), but it wasn't very encouraging. If and when they move on from Strome, I'd imagine Copp will follow suit because if they can't afford Strome, they can't afford Copp. They're going to be paid very similarly.