• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#45) Rangers vs Minnesota Wild — Qvistmas Day; Henrik Lundqvist Retirement Night

Drew a Penalty

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I thought the game was called ok, Richie, but they TOTALLY fucked up the last goal being dis-allowed!!!   I've seen WAY worse goals counted than that!!!

It was a disgrace. It was an arrogant official who got the call wrong and had no interest in replay overturn. 

The game is more important than one middle aged mans ego.

A disgrace.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Applause 1

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

It was a disgrace. It was an arrogant official who got the call wrong and had no interest in replay overturn. 

A disgrace.

I have to agree. That was just a plain and simple bad call. It was called incorrectly on the ice and he was so emphatic that you just knew he was not overturning it. Letter of the law or not, the puck was live, loose, and even pit of the crease and it was called against the spirit of the game. Talbot was floundering. This wasn't a case of a goalie in control. Ridiculous call. 

4 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I have to agree. That was just a plain and simple bad call. It was called incorrectly on the ice and he was so emphatic that you just knew he was not overturning it. Letter of the law or not, the puck was live, loose, and even pit of the crease and it was called against the spirit of the game. Talbot was floundering. This wasn't a case of a goalie in control. Ridiculous call. 

You already knew how I felt about that bullshit call!!  I hope we get our wallet back....we was robbed, bro!!

Glad we have replay in place to get these calls right! 

...Pad was pushed in!!!  Yeah right....BULLSHIT!!!
There was only one thing pushed in......

8 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

A disgrace.

5 minutes ago, Keirik said:

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I thought the game was called ok, Richie, but they TOTALLY fucked up the last goal being dis-allowed!!!   I've seen WAY worse goals counted than that!!!

Then you guys all disagree with what Gallant and his staff saw when he said Strome pushed his pad into the net, yeah? I mean he certainly should of said look that call makes no sense to me next question. Instead he had no issue with it at all. 

Don't you think the bigger issue the trend of not nearly playing 60 mins and how razor thin this roster is. The only injured impact guy is Fox and tonight was his first game out. The forward group is getting more and more exposed as we go along. 

1 minute ago, jsrangers said:

Then you guys all disagree with what Gallant and his staff saw when he said Strome pushed his pad into the net, yeah? I mean he certainly should of said look that call makes no sense to me next question. Instead he had no issue with it at all. 

Don't you think the bigger issue the trend of not nearly playing 60 mins and how razor thin this roster is. The only injured impact guy is Fox and tonight was his first game out. The forward group is getting more and more exposed as we go along. 

I've seen a lot worse goals counted, JS.   I thought it was a goal for sure!  His pad wasn't pushed...Talbot looked like he was moving that leg when he went down face first, and that pad wasn't pushed 'til after the puck was in the net.  That's what I saw, anyway.  😉

I gotta say, I didn't expect us to exactly light it up without Fox, but we did do our usual bi-polar attack, where we play great for 20 minutes, and then play high school fuck-around with the puck in the Neutral and D zone for the other 40 min. 

We may need to make a move and get that 3rd line center hole filled.....sooner than later.

15 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

That’s not what he said. He said it was a 50/50 call, a tough call, and a call he would have loved to see go his way but understands the call.  He’s going to be a pro about it. He’s not Torts.

as for the other stuff. Of course that’s a bigger issue but I’m not sure what that has to do with complaining about a blown call. Should we ignore a blown call with 2 seconds left in a 1 goal game against a good team? Yesterdays game is more troubling than tonight’s. This wasn’t an easy opponent. Gallant even talked about the lack of 60 minutes in his presser saying it’s a problem for every team in the league. I’m not sure that exactly true to the extent he may believe it but whatever.

I also think the roster thinning is more than just Fox being out. When you lose guys like Kakko and to a lesser extent Chytil, you still are backfilling their spots with guys that might otherwise be elsewhere. Then you’re backfilling the backfilled spots with fodder. It’s partly a thin roster problem but it’s also a chemistry thing. Kakko may not be dominating anything but he still is an NHLer and still does some of the things in a top 6 role that others cannot with as much consistency.. Chytil as well, at least when he’s put on the wing instead of 3c.  I will say, I think Ziby, Strome, and Bread need to start doing things that take over games when we are losing and in a tough spot. I’d like to see more than just pp kreider 

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

46 minutes ago, Keirik said:

That’s not what he said. He said it was a 50/50 call, a tough call, and a call he would have loved to see go his way but understands the call.  He’s going to be a pro about it. He’s not Torts.

as for the other stuff. Of course that’s a bigger issue but I’m not sure what that has to do with complaining about a blown call. Should we ignore a blown call with 2 seconds left in a 1 goal game against a good team? Yesterdays game is more troubling than tonight’s. This wasn’t an easy opponent. Gallant even talked about the lack of 60 minutes in his presser saying it’s a problem for every team in the league. I’m not sure that exactly true to the extent he may believe it but whatever.

I also think the roster thinning is more than just Fox being out. When you lose guys like Kakko and to a lesser extent Chytil, you still are backfilling their spots with guys that might otherwise be elsewhere. Then you’re backfilling the backfilled spots with fodder. It’s partly a thin roster problem but it’s also a chemistry thing. Kakko may not be dominating anything but he still is an NHLer and still does some of the things in a top 6 role that others cannot with as much consistency.. Chytil as well, at least when he’s put on the wing instead of 3c.  I will say, I think Ziby, Strome, and Bread need to start doing things that take over games when we are losing and in a tough spot. I’d like to see more than just pp kreider 

Agreed.

Did we play like shit? For sure. Did the refs make a gaffe to end the game? Yeah. Both contributed to the loss, no doubt. But their gaffe effectively ended the game.

When fans think the call was blown but the coach and Toronto don't, makes me think the refs got it right. 

But it doesn't matter because that's not why they lost. They lost because they're missing some good players, sure, but the effort isn't there either. For a few weeks now they've let good get to them. They got out shot (again), out hit, nothing on the PP.

They didn't deserve to win, and had they, it would have been another win masking serious flaws.

You'd hope losing on Henrik night sparks some pride in effort for the rest of the season.

What's even worse than the craptastic game was the craptastic GDT with every other post about Lafreniere and Gauthier as if they both aren't garbage. That's comical. 

• Phil unpinned this topic
8 hours ago, jsrangers said:

While you can tolerate the passing of Zib and Panarin looking for a perfect shot, have to wonder why they don't simply take open shots. How many sticks has Zib broken on that one timer? The rest of the forwards are at times infuriating; take the open shots, and stop pointlessly cycling. Looks as if they think the point of hockey is cycling instead of scoring a  goal. It's not 1975; go the front of the net and look for a tip or a garbage gaols. Works for Kreider, try it. And opposing team know that NYR are more inclined to pass around the perimeter all night; go ahead, you're doing their job by defensing yourself. 

You could see the PP sputtering without Fox. Trouba isn't a like for like replacement there, he's a shooter. Either put Panarin up top to orchestrate, or have someone like Jones step in. Jones didn't have a great game, some bad passes and turnovers but also some smart plays as well. 

Effort was definitely not there, and the ice was tilted against us for two periods. Without Igor, that game gets out of hand in a blowout loss. A true Hank-era game for us for sure. 

9 hours ago, jsrangers said:

One thing. Gallant isn't a guy that will make excuses for a loss. He's not going to cry about a blown call by the ref after the game.  He'll yell on the bench and get amped up throughout,  but once the game is over, if the team couldn't find a way to win, that's what he's focused on.  

To me it was very much about the ref being sick of the Rangers questioning him all night about a lack of calls against Greenway and others, who were taking extra liberties with Shestyorkin and a few semi late hits, some elbows and a lot of stick work on hands that wasn't called throughout the game. 

He made the call and was not going to change it like a spiteful significant other. "Yeah? You think I wasn't making enough goalie interference calls? Bam, there's you fuckin goalie interference call. Game over. Bye"

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

To me it was very much about the ref being sick of the Rangers questioning him all night about a lack of calls against Greenway and others, who were taking extra liberties with Shestyorkin and a few semi late hits, some elbows and a lot of stick work on hands that wasn't called throughout the game. 

I said before and I’ll say it again, the rough stuff should’ve ended when Greenway ran Shesty, instead of Trouba and Reeves “getting in his face” (next time they’ll send a strongly worded email?) one of them should’ve separated several of his teeth from his jaw.  Send the message to the Wild, as well as the rest of the league, that you touch our goalie you’d better come up with stick down/gloves off, if not you’re still getting ragdolled (regardless of the score etc…) They signed Reeves for just this scenario, he did nothing and the Wild took advantage of it.

• The Chyt! 1

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I watched it again this morning...Dude, we got fucked.  Gallant's taking the high road with it...

Can't blame the guy really, he took his displeasure about as far as he could take it publicly before alienating the officials and making life harder for himself down the road. But yeah pretty clear from the angles I've seen that Talbot was kicking his pad back on his own effort rather than getting pushed in, not to mention the stick doesn't enter the picture until a second or so after anyway. Ah well what can you do, it's especially bitter on a night like that. But these things tend to balance themselves out over the season, so I'm sure another marginal call will go our way at some point. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Karan said:

Can't blame the guy really, he took his displeasure about as far as he could take it publicly before alienating the officials and making life harder for himself down the road. But yeah pretty clear from the angles I've seen that Talbot was kicking his pad back on his own effort rather than getting pushed in, not to mention the stick doesn't enter the picture until a second or so after anyway. Ah well what can you do, it's especially bitter on a night like that. But these things tend to balance themselves out over the season, so I'm sure another marginal call will go our way at some point. 

That's probably the best way to roll with this, Karan.

I'm gonna follow that lead!  Kinda makes it a little easier to digest, too!!  We're getting a little thin with the roster, like a few guys have already stated.  We gotta just get to the break and start filling some holes pretty soon.  We're most likely not in danger of missing the playoffs, but we're gonna need to get this engine tuned soon going into the stretch run.

you know, bad calls are maybe to some extent part of the game - even those of consequence, like a bad penalty call that leads to a crucial goal in a game etc.

but this particular kind of call - a last second goal to tie up a game, that can be reviewed endlessly before upholding - CAN NOT be something the league gets wrong. I mean, what moment in sports is more exciting than a buzzer beater...it the f'n pinnacle. If your a professional league and f'ng that up, you got problems.

Edited by Jdog99

Blaming a ref for a loss is unacceptable.   When coaches hear kids complain about referees, the first thing to correct is to focus on things that they can control -  their play.  Given a 2-0 lead if the Rangers played hard for an entire 60 minutes, the game would have been under control, and not come down to a desperation final minute.  We simply weren't good enough.

Edited by fletch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, fletch said:

Blaming a ref for a loss is unacceptable.   When coaches hear kids complain about referees, the first thing to correct is to focus on things that they can control -  their play.  Given a 2-0 lead if the Rangers played hard for an entire 60 minutes, the game would have been under control, and not come down to a desperation final minute.  We simply weren't good enough.

Two separate issues imo.

If I'm a third party hockey fan - neither Rangers nor Wild - but just a big hockey fan watching an exciting game thats coming down to the wire, I'm pretty sure I'm disgusted by getting cheated out of seeing an amazing and totally legit buzzer beater followed by OT.

25 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

Two separate issues imo.

If I'm a third party hockey fan - neither Rangers nor Wild - but just a big hockey fan watching an exciting game thats coming down to the wire, I'm pretty sure I'm disgusted by getting cheated out of seeing an amazing and totally legit buzzer beater followed by OT.

Unpopular opinion here from me lol, if you were a third party hockey fan you might look at that play and say it was interference.

Edited by Pete