• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

K'Andre Miller's Future

Phil

Somewhat unrelated – and this is not based on anything I’m hearing – but I’m curious whether Drury would listen to offers on K’Andre Miller. He’s had some noticeable struggles lately, showing a tendency to make glaring defensive-zone mistakes.

Since Dec. 1, Miller leads all Rangers’ defensemen with 12 giveaways and ranks second-to-last with a 42.37% xGF, with only Libor Hájek behind him.

We assume that all of the D prospects won’t stick around for the long haul – there are only six spots in the NHL lineup, after all – but could Miller be traded if the right deal comes along?

His unique physical attributes may give him the highest upside of the bunch, but with only more one year left on his entry-level contract, he’s closer to needing a new deal than Lundkvist, Schneider or Robertson. And with the Rangers looking at a cap crunch beginning next season, several cost-cutting options will have to be explored.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2022/01/12/ny-rangers-rookie-defensemen-alexis-lafreniere-trade-targets/9177858002/

• Phil changed the title to K'Andre Miller's Future

"Noticeable struggles lately"... I mean sure but the guy is also still developing and also has games/plays when he looks phenomenal arguably maybe even more so than any other prospect on this team.

I dont know where he fits on this team with the likes of Schneider, Lundkvist, Jones, etc.. but if they feel like they need to move him because of some struggles than this rebuild is just continuing to get derailed. 

19 minutes ago, siddious said:

"Noticeable struggles lately"... I mean sure but the guy is also still developing and also has games/plays when he looks phenomenal arguably maybe even more so than any other prospect on this team.

I dont know where he fits on this team with the likes of Schneider, Lundkvist, Jones, etc.. but if they feel like they need to move him because of some struggles than this rebuild is just continuing to get derailed. 

You're viewing it through a straw. It's not just his struggles, it's his struggles/mediocre progression combined with tremendous organizational depth (Robertson, Jones, Reunanen, and Hajek are all natural LD) and the likely need to shave dollars where they can over the next three years. They've locked into Fox, Zibnaejad, Panarin, Trouba, Kreider, and Shesterkin. Guys like Lafreniere and Kakko have the potential to be bigger money earners, too. They've got to be careful about exactly who gets paid, and just how much, because the money dries up quick with a relatively static cap ceiling.

Miller had a few really good games immediately after the break. Really active stick, good positioning, a little physical, confident with the puck, some good touch passes and outlets from the defensive zone.

Out west, he has regressed back. Could very easily be sick, or be a kid that goes to be early.

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

You're viewing it through a straw. It's not just his struggles, it's his struggles/mediocre progression combined with tremendous organizational depth (Robertson, Jones, Reunanen, and Hajek are all natural LD) and the likely need to shave dollars where they can over the next three years. They've locked into Fox, Zibnaejad, Panarin, Trouba, Kreider, and Shesterkin. Guys like Lafreniere and Kakko have the potential to be bigger money earners, too. They've got to be careful about exactly who gets paid, and just how much, because the money dries up quick with a relatively static cap ceiling.

What are we looking at for his raise? 1-1.5 mil total?

I mean I get that every penny counts but I dont see any of those other guys having his ceiling other than maybe Jones and Lundkvist and im pretty certain one of those two will be moved too since Fox, Lundkvist, and Jones on the same team is redundant. 

1 hour ago, josh said:

Miller had a few really good games immediately after the break. Really active stick, good positioning, a little physical, confident with the puck, some good touch passes and outlets from the defensive zone.

Out west, he has regressed back. Could very easily be sick, or be a kid that goes to be early.

In your line of thinking,  maybe he should have more days off. They have the depth to give him a break here and there. Nothing wrong with playing 65-70 games as a D man.  

His spot would also serve as a nice gauge for guys like Jones, Robertson and Hajek. Yes Hajek. 

Miller came in to the NHL so raw. He exceeded expectations and stuck with the Rangers when he could have used a season or 2 in Hartford. 

after his concussion, he hasn't been the same player, consistently.

I don't deal him unless it's a no brainer. Still extremely long, athletic and has a ton of potential. 

Still a cheaper, younger Skjei 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

15 minutes ago, josh said:

Miller came in to the NHL so raw. He exceeded expectations and stuck with the Rangers when he could have used a season or 2 in Hartford. 

I don't deal him unless it's a no brainer. Still extremely long, athletic and has a ton of potential. 

If there weren't other LD in the pipe who'd quickly make us forget Miller existed, I'd agree.

14 minutes ago, josh said:

I like Miller, and I see a lot of potential in him.  He makes some silly plays but he's still pretty raw yet.  I think has a ton in the tank, and as a 3rd pair defender, I think he'd fit nicely.  He's done pretty well in the top 4, but admittedly he's had some sore spots.  I expect that though.  I think he's a keeper though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, josh said:

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

If there weren't other LD in the pipe who'd quickly make us forget Miller existed, I'd agree.

I'm very high on robertson, not so much on Jones. 

Miller on 3rd pair is perfectly fine. As long as he continually progresses 

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I like Miller, and I see a lot of potential in him.  He makes some silly plays but he's still pretty raw yet.  I think has a ton in the tank, and as a 3rd pair defender, I think he'd fit nicely.  He's done pretty well in the top 4, but admittedly he's had some sore spots.  I expect that though.  I think he's a keeper though.

Didn't see this post before responding to Pete, but exactly this.

His size and athleticism on the 3rd pair is a huge bonus. Plus his age. 

I'd love to see him get some great coaching and continue to improve his defensive stick work. 

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

You can't keep everyone. Lindgren, Miller, Robertson, Jones, talk of Schneider needing to move to the left...someone's gotta go.

4 minutes ago, josh said:

I'm very high on robertson, not so much on Jones. 

Miller on 3rd pair is perfectly fine. As long as he continually progresses 

I'm meh on Jones just because he'll never sniff the power play, so why bother?

I'm more intrigued by what you can get for Miller because if he's headed to the third pair, Robertson is giving you the same. 

I'd be surprised if they traded any young guys from the current roster in the next two years. Yes, Miller has had bumps in the road, but who's better than him? Who's knocking down the door? I feel like this point is made with players every single day without acknowledging the replacement.

Rangers are a playoff team. Are they really going to remove an experienced NHL player for a rookie? If anything they'll be bringing in MORE experienced players. 

Also, I feel like it's very short sighted to move Miller (who's had some success) because Lundqvist (who's flopped) doesn't need a new deal. That's not how it works. 

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

You can't keep everyone. Lindgren, Miller, Robertson, Jones, talk of Schneider needing to move to the left...someone's gotta go.

I'm meh on Jones just because he'll never sniff the power play, so why bother?

I'm more intrigued by what you can get for Miller because if he's headed to the third pair, Robertson is giving you the same

I mean, this is great in theory, but we've seen how theories work out (Lafreniere, Kakko, Lundkvist). We have no idea what Robertson can give us. It's more likely he can't give us what Miller can.

3 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

I'd be surprised if they traded any young guys from the current roster in the next two years. Yes, Miller has had bumps in the road, but who's better than him? Who's knocking down the door? I feel like this point is made with players every single day without acknowledging the replacement.

Rangers are a playoff team. Are they really going to remove an experienced NHL player for a rookie? If anything they'll be bringing in MORE experienced players. 

Also, I feel like it's very short sighted to move Miller (who's had some success) because Lundqvist (who's flopped) doesn't need a new deal. That's not how it works. 

Schneider seems destined for 2LD, but you're talking about moving Miller now.. everyone in this thread pretty much said they would move him at next season's draft.

1 minute ago, ThirtyONE said:

I mean, this is great in theory, but we've seen how theories work out (Lafreniere, Kakko, Lundkvist). We have no idea what Robertson can give us. It's more likely he can't give us what Miller can.

While the common thread between the three players you mentioned is that they were not getting seasoned in hartford, and Robertson is.

That said, like I said I would be moving Miller next summer, not this summer and not right now. Will know a lot more about both players by then.

1 minute ago, ThirtyONE said:

Though I haven't been a fan of the player, they could have easily tried Nemeth out there with Trouba. Hajek too as they had a short history of looking good together.  Miller could easily be moved down to 3rd pair without the need to put a rookie in his spot, although I think Jones would do just fine in that spot. 

Jones and Trouba should be a future pairning plan anyway. If you're looking for more offense, why not now? 

It seems like the coaching staff is expecting offense out of Miller. I don't think he's there yet. We do see some flashes, but he's so up and down that it's come time to take a step back and try other options that are here now. If Jones can add offense when out there with the top 6, it might relieve the immediate need for help on the wing for the top 6. 

Miller/Schneider pairing..  Too raw?