• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

It's Time to Start Talking Jack Adams

Valriera

28 minutes ago, Pete said:

He's also a great colleges coach LOL.

I mean people saying he's clueless out here. Come on.

You mean me lol. I said he’s clueless. With us, he was in my opinion. Not 100% his fault. He was thrown to the wolves but the second he left, everything changed. This team isn’t more talented than it was under Quinn. It’s just playing like a team. Everything about this team is completely different. I never got the feeling the players bought into anything Quinn said.  Part of it are roster changes but a lot of it is also because of who we have behind the bench.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keirik said:

You mean me lol. I said he’s clueless. With us, he was in my opinion. Not 100% his fault. He was thrown to the wolves but the second he left, everything changed. This team isn’t more talented than it was under Quinn. It’s just playing like a team. Everything about this team is completely different. I never got the feeling the players bought into anything Quinn said.  Part of it are roster changes but a lot of it is also because of who we have behind the bench.

I agree to a point... but I wouldn't say everything is completely different. I mean the entire lineup and defensive pairings are pretty much the same. And it's not really like you can say "well anyone would do that". Anyone would pair Mika with Panarin. Nobody would have put Strome with Panarin. 

You don't become a highly successful college coach and land multiple NHL interviews and wind up with head coaching job in New York by being clueless. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

I agree to a point... but I wouldn't say everything is completely different. I mean the entire lineup and defensive pairings are pretty much the same. And it's not really like you can say "well anyone would do that". Anyone would pair Mika with Panarin. Nobody would have put Strome with Panarin. 

You don't become a highly successful college coach and land multiple NHL interviews and wind up with head coaching job in New York by being clueless. 

Yes and no. Clearly he looks good on paper and had a plan that got him passed the interview and into a HC position. I just though that by year 3, the constant line switching, benchings, rolling guys that shouldn’t be playing anywhere near as much,  not showing up early in games, etc just showed that he really had no answer and was I’ll prepared for this roster.

I wish him well. I’m just extremely happy he’s gone from this organization.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keirik said:

I just though that by year 3, the constant line switching, benchings, rolling guys that shouldn’t be playing anywhere near as much,  not showing up early in games, etc just showed that he really had no answer and was I’ll prepared for this roster.

Yea, I get this.

But to me, Brian Trottier was clueless. And this ain't that is all I'm saying. 

Guy has taken what is pretty much the exact same roster as last year,  plugged in an over priced checking forward, an AHL shit forward and a tough guy and turned the whole direction and mentality back around to a confident bunch with a chip on their shoulder.  

He's made it work again  (IMO this team was going places if not for the 1st shortened covid season,  they were on one of those rolls). 

Definitely deserves credit for taking the same roster as last year and turning them into one of the top teams in the game. No other coach is doing that for another team. Most teams have actually taken a step back  if you think about it.. Minnesota has improved.  Florida was this good at seasons end last year.. mehhh, I don't understand how Nashville is as good as they are though...Boudreau may be in the process now with Vancouver. 

I'm very impressed with Gallant.  Love how he uses the players in roles they actually fit in. 

Edited by The Dude

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Pittsburgh at 10 games over NHL .500 is something I thought I'd never see too.

Sullivan's a good coach. Pittsburgh also rebuilt its bottom 6 depth, maybe their defense is better too. Sam and Joe kept talking about Rodrigues having a career year, some coaches can get that out of longshot players.

4 minutes ago, AliveIn94 said:

Sullivan's a good coach. Pittsburgh also rebuilt its bottom 6 depth, maybe their defense is better too. Sam and Joe kept talking about Rodrigues having a career year, some coaches can get that out of longshot players.

He is a good coach, yeah. They're still a surprise to me, though. Also, Jarry has been very good in goal.

• Like 1

It was Quinn’s first time being a head coach in the NHL. He wasn’t bad. He wasn’t perfect. He made some mistakes, but didn’t bomb to the point he’ll never land another NHL job.

Unfortunately for him, he was never going to be the guy to lead this team on a playoff run or anything. He did what he had to do; he helped developed some of these guys. But as far as taking the next step, I always believed they were better off with a veteran coach at this point. Sometimes, guys who have been around the block just have a better pulse on the locker room and on what it takes to take the next step. We’re in the process of doing that now.

• Like 1

When you look at this team and the possibility of individual awards...

Jack Adams, Vezina, Rocket Richard, Norris.....and the presidents trophy for the team.

We literally have a viable candidate for each (though I assume Kreider floats away from the R.R)

WOW.

16 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

When you look at this team and the possibility of individual awards...

Jack Adams, Vezina, Rocket Richard, Norris.....and the presidents trophy for the team.

We literally have a viable candidate for each (though I assume Kreider floats away from the R.R)

WOW.

Lady Byng for Fox/Panarin?

Hart Trophy for Panarin?

But yeah, lots of possibilities Jsm!!!

.....Oh and a Selke for Kakko!!!  LOL

• 1 month later...

ESPN+ seems to believe that Gallant could have his second Jack Adams Award, especially with Shesterkin in goal 😉:

Impact on the team: In hiring Gallant, the Rangers opted for the opposite of Quinn. Instead of overcoaching, Gallant has the reputation for gut calls over X's and O's. Instead of micro-managing, Gallant is known for working with and empowering his players, which was one of the ingredients in his secret sauce that enabled the Golden Knights to make the Stanley Cup Final in their inaugural season. But he also had a reputation for demanding accountability for players who didn't buy into his coaching philosophy.

Under Gallant, the Rangers have been one of the most curious teams in the NHL. The standings success doesn't sync up with the putridity of their underlying numbers. They're still starkly bad at 5-on-5. The Rangers earn 44.8% of the shot attempts, which is worst in the NHL, and have an expected goals percentage of 45.9%, which is fourth worst, ahead of only Montreal, Buffalo and Arizona. But those numbers are finally trending in the right direction.

Can he win the Jack Adams? He's got the best goalie in the NHL. Of course he can win the Jack Adams.

Source

If the trend continue in the right direction, he may just get his second one....

26 minutes ago, Phil said:

Show me a good coach, I'll show you a good goalie.

But, yes, absolutely he should be among the finalists.

This is really all there is to it.

Like, the players can talk all they want about how they love Gallant's style and I'm sure they do, but realistically if it wasn't for Shesterkin no one would be talking about this team or Gallant because they'd be a bubble team.

Short of playing Mckegg over Barron, keeping Hunt in the line-up, and making Gauthier the new Howden (all minor issues) I dont really have much of an issue with anything Gallant has done. I think he has handled Kakko and Laf really well and for the most part kept the lines and message on point all season long.

I think hes going to get serious consideration since it seems like they almost always give this to a coach who has a good season with a team who over achieves.

The narrative around the goalie is important, but there are two things here that are hard to place anywhere but a new coach: the powerplay and jacob trouba. Both have gone from really, really bad to really, really good in his season. Maybe there's more to it than meets the eye. 

3 minutes ago, Valriera said:

The narrative around the goalie is important, but there are two things here that are hard to place anywhere but a new coach: the powerplay and jacob trouba. Both have gone from really, really bad to really, really good in his season. Maybe there's more to it than meets the eye. 

Lest not forget the unveiling of the new Chris Kreider. The ultimate swagger in a locker room that was void of all direction and cohesion.

Hands down.....I dont think you can argue someone else has turned a roster from the bottom of the league to a possible cup contender this year. It is a no brainer for me and that is from my head not my heart.

• VINNY! 1

Kreider did an amazing amount of self work which I will not give Gallant credit for. Kreider simply reframed his mindset on his own. He spoke of it.

I don't give Gallant credit for Shesty either. The Rangers are not a good defensive team. Shesty cover a lot of holes. 

I give GG a tom of credit for having them playing loose and comfortable, confident and well prepared for games, moreso than Quinn. I also don't see nearly as many bench minors for too many men. 

But there's a lot that hasn't changed like not playing a full 60.