• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

It's Time to Start Talking Jack Adams

Valriera

Last year, the conversation mainly centered around Fox's emergence as a generationally talented defenseman. Which he is. And hell, he may even win the Norris again this year, which is absolutely crazy.

But this year the person I'm constantly thinking about is coach GG. The team sits #1 just short of the mid point, and this guy deserves a lot of credit for always seeming to make just the right amount of change at just the right times. Think of the Georgiev pull on the 2nd back to back, the production of our power play, the overall team toughness displayed almost every night, the rebirth of Trouba is a scary mfer to play against, the understanding not to mess with Panarin/Strome and Kreider/Zib and instead shuffle wingers through those duos, the new kid 3rd pairing defense in these important three games which we won, the way the team no longer comes out flat for important games. I mean, the list simply goes on and on.

If we are anywhere near first at season's end, this guy deserves the trophy. We missed the playoffs last year, by a wide margin. Missed them. We're 1st now, and while the players have produced on the ice, the biggest change on the team is that we have a new coach. 

• Like 2
  • VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

7 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Last year, the conversation mainly centered around Fox's emergence as a generationally talented defenseman. Which he is. And hell, he may even win the Norris again this year, which is absolutely crazy.

But this year the person I'm constantly thinking about is coach GG. The team sits #1 just short of the mid point, and this guy deserves a lot of credit for always seeming to make just the right amount of change at just the right times. Think of the Georgiev pull on the 2nd back to back, the production of our power play, the overall team toughness displayed almost every night, the rebirth of Trouba is a scary mfer to play against, the understanding not to mess with Panarin/Strome and Kreider/Zib and instead shuffle wingers through those duos, the new kid 3rd pairing defense in these important three games which we won, the way the team no longer comes out flat for important games. I mean, the list simply goes on and on.

If we are anywhere near first at season's end, this guy deserves the trophy. We missed the playoffs last year, by a wide margin. Missed them. We're 1st now, and while the players have produced on the ice, the biggest change on the team is that we have a new coach. 

Kreider is also playing some of the best and most consistent hockey of his career too. He absolutely is in the discussion for it. That would be cool if he won it with two different teams. That hasn't been done very much.

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

Agree. And doing it without changing Quinn's lines or pairings very much shows that coaching is the difference. 

Most people laughed at the changes made during the summer so to your point, the team is mostly the same, if not slightly worse on paper. They certainly didn't become more skilled. 

Theres a lot to be said for how GG handles his players. How he instills confidence and builds guys up. How he sees the game as a team game, not giving credit or blame to any one player. It's obvious the mentality of this team has changed drastically between coaching staffs. The proof is in the record. 

Edited by ThirtyONE
  • Like 3

I've said several times this season and I think @josh has commented on it as well - these guys are coming out HOT. No more lackadaisical starts, no more goals given up in the first 2 minutes of games/periods. These guys came out and scorched one of the best teams in the league in an afternoon game. Season's past - that's an EASY loss. 

That's all Gallant.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phillyb said:

I've said several times this season and I think @josh has commented on it as well - these guys are coming out HOT. No more lackadaisical starts, no more goals given up in the first 2 minutes of games/periods. These guys came out and scorched one of the best teams in the league in an afternoon game. Season's past - that's an EASY loss. 

That's all Gallant.

Even last night's game, Gallant clearly was not happy after the second period. So, what happens? The Rangers buckle down in the third and score twice to put the game away. Georgiev still needed to be good, but that's those immediate adjustments you're talking about.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Maybe what we needed was the "low IQ, player's coach, friendly personality always on your side" kinda guy that certain folks complained about when we first hired him. Can't ask for much more than what we've gotten so far. We are playing really well. 

Yep. There haven't been significant changes to systems or personnel. What's largely been changed here is the dynamic. Listen to anyone speak about the locker room and how Turk runs it and it seems vastly different from Quinn.

While Quinn was always praised as a good communicator, there was a disconnect between his actions and words. That doesn't seem to be the case with Gallant. You could tell the team was playing pond hockey last year and was struggling to self-motivate despite Quinn's pleas. Again, not the case with Gallant. Everyone seems to be on the page and Gallant seems to know when to press the right buttons. Strome two games ago brought up how as teammates they're now starting to keep each other accountable without Gallant's urging. I can't recall ever seeing that from Quinn. Maybe because he was already there harping on players instead of letting them assess their mistakes themselves.

You can't discount what he's done for the young players too. As much as players like Lafreniere, Kakko, Chytil, Gauthier, Hajek, etc. have struggled at points, they've all maintained positive outlooks and are all still working hard. That looks to be paying off now for Hajek, while Gauthier has at least found enough consistency to be a regular. The others aren't scoring, but they're engaged. Kakko doesn't look like his dog died for the fifth time. I think that stems from the motivation coming from the staff as well as teammates when they execute plays as has been mentioned. It also comes from the support on bad plays. Can't tell how many times I've seen Gallant, or Mike Kelly, or Strome, or Kreider, etc. go up to one of the young guys and give them encouragement after a tough play. It just feels like there's a culture built on support. That's totally on Gallant.

• Keeps it 100 1

I absolutely adore Gallant.  I watch his pressers after every game and I absolutely love the way he handles the questions.  I've said it before, but I would have loved to play for a coach like this.

I'm starting to see leaders emerge on this team, and also role players like Rooney are becoming more prominent.

All this and they've done it the last 2 games without their Hart Trophy candidate!  It took me about a period last night before I remembered Panarin was out!  Mostly because I'm old and have only a few marbles rolling around, but I really didn't notice very much.

The Gallant concept is working!  Strike up a winner for Drury!

43 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Maybe what we needed was the "low IQ, player's coach, friendly personality always on your side" kinda guy that certain folks complained about when we first hired him. Can't ask for much more than what we've gotten so far. We are playing really well. 

40 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

love and hip hop lhhmia GIF by VH1

11 minutes ago, siddious said:

Can’t wait till it’s Trouba lindgren cuylle Schneider and blais. That’s gonna be a hell of a rough team to play against

The new Twin Towers!

...and we also have Robertson coming as well!

3 hours ago, Keirik said:

Glad we are all finally on the same page that Quinn just wasn’t a good coach for us. 

I agree Quinn was not a good coach for us, but what was being said is that he's not a good coach at all, which I don't buy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I agree Quinn was not a good coach for us, but what was being said is that he's not a good coach at all, which I don't buy.

I’m sure Quinn is a good coach but I’m just not sure if he’s meant for the NHL. It’ll be interesting if he ever gets another gig or if he returns back to college.  Hopefully wherever he goes he finds success and happiness. 

• Cheers 2
  • VINNY! 2