• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Inside the Rangers Artemi Panarin-Ryan Strome Bromance

LindG1000

7 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

The long-term solution is keep plugging in $700k grinders while Strome and Panarin put up the best numbers of their careers.  Instead of trying to find an 'upgrade' for that line, use that upgrade money elsewhere.

The uncomfortable part of all of this is the reality that good middle-lineup players will price themselves out of the market in the coming years. I would not at all be surprised if Key, Lindgren, Blais, and a few more end up traded.

8 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

The long-term solution is keep plugging in $700k grinders while Strome and Panarin put up the best numbers of their careers.  Instead of trying to find an 'upgrade' for that line, use that upgrade money elsewhere.

Quite possibly. Like how the Leafs just did with Bunting instead of paying Hyman.

10 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

I understand wanting to get your best contract on the open market etc for guys looking to jump from min salary to a few million but let's be honest. 5 mil is more than some make in a decade or a lifetime. If you invest half of that salary annually; you will be able to live that lifestyle forever. 

Agreed professional athletes on the whole do well compared to common folk. 

However I'm always curious how much the get hammered on Fed taxes, agent fees, NY taxes etc. Anybody wanna take a guess at what that breakdown is. My thought is he probably loses ~40% right off the top, so investing half would be drastically less than we think off the top.

Again not passing the hat around for anybody, ever, just trying to get an understanding of how much of say a 5M per year deal they really get. 

Any guesses?

6 hours ago, Long live the King said:

It may work for the Strome-Panarin pairing.

The Kreider-Zibanejad connection seems to need a legit third to thrive though.

58 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

Agreed professional athletes on the whole do well compared to common folk. 

However I'm always curious how much the get hammered on Fed taxes, agent fees, NY taxes etc. Anybody wanna take a guess at what that breakdown is. My thought is he probably loses ~40% right off the top, so investing half would be drastically less than we think off the top.

Again not passing the hat around for anybody, ever, just trying to get an understanding of how much of say a 5M per year deal they really get. 

Any guesses?

Sean Avery made a fantastic article about this a while back and the answer is that these guys get shelled. Don’t forget insurance, escrow interest, PAF, NHLPA. Then there’s predators selling shit they don’t need, like supplemental insurance, financial advisory, et cetera. One doesn’t need sympathy but empathy: don’t need to feel bad for them but understanding the reality of the scenario is good

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Valriera said:

Sean Avery made a fantastic article about this a while back and the answer is that these guys get shelled. Don’t forget insurance, escrow interest, PAF, NHLPA. Then there’s predators selling shit they don’t need, like supplemental insurance, financial advisory, et cetera. One doesn’t need sympathy but empathy: don’t need to feel bad for them but understanding the reality of the scenario is good

Yep. Agents take a nice cut too.