• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Inside the Rangers Artemi Panarin-Ryan Strome Bromance

LindG1000

https://theathletic.com/3000087/2021/12/06/driving-too-fast-flip-phone-respect-and-good-energy-inside-the-rangers-artemi-panarin-ryan-strome-bromance/

“Playing with guys like that, it’s not easy,” Strome said. “Even with (Panarin) sometimes, maybe I try to look for him too much. That’s just learning. You know good things happen when you get those guys the puck. It’s just maturing, getting better and something I learned the hard way at times too.”

Panarin and Strome sat side by side with The Athletic last week. When the subject of Strome leveling up to play with Panarin arose, Panarin objected a bit.

“Stromer looking to me at times because he starts the attack, looks to me and I can play with the puck,” Panarin said. “It’s not like he’s a shitty player. He’s amazing. You talk about me like a star and he’s somewhere like (down here). I think he’s already fucking (up here).”

The closeness between them is important to Panarin — which, in turn, may be why a new contract for Strome is important to the Rangers.

“It’s a good relationship right away,” Panarin said. “I think in hockey, sports, it’s important when you’re not by yourself. When I have the good linemates in my career, we always speak a lot off the ice.

“We just start playing together, just start playing right away pretty good. I feel great after. And he’s better and better every year.”

Strome interjected then. “Thank you,” he said. “That’s the nicest thing you’ve ever said about me.”

“Stromer looking to me at times because he starts the attack, looks to me and I can play with the puck,” Panarin said. “It’s not like he’s a shitty player. He’s amazing. You talk about me like a star and he’s somewhere like (down here). I think he’s already fucking (up here).”

https://theathletic.com/3000087/2021/12/06/driving-too-fast-flip-phone-respect-and-good-energy-inside-the-rangers-artemi-panarin-ryan-strome-bromance/

Everyone wants him here but how much does he want to be here. 5x5 would work for me!

I understand wanting to get your best contract on the open market etc for guys looking to jump from min salary to a few million but let's be honest. 5 mil is more than some make in a decade or a lifetime. If you invest half of that salary annually; you will be able to live that lifestyle forever. Pissing back and forth over a couple mil is stupid as long as you are being paid your worth, even the lower end. Just focus on winning with your team. PRIORITIES!!!

Just now, jsm7302 said:

Everyone wants him here but how much does he want to be here. 5x5 would work for me!

I understand wanting to get your best contract on the open market etc for guys looking to jump from min salary to a few million but let's be honest. 5 mil is more than some make in a decade or a lifetime. If you invest half of that salary annually; you will be able to live that lifestyle forever. Pissing back and forth over a couple mil is stupid as long as you are being paid your worth, even the lower end. Just focus on winning with your team. PRIORITIES!!!

This is very true. Guy has not been a success anywhere else. As long as the Rangers dont seriously low ball you, dont get greedy. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Shit!  I'd go $5 mil x5 years in a second!  I think Strome is a MUST keep.  The guy is still only what? 28???  I think 5 years is a pretty good term for that age.

I think if Strome wants that, we have to do it and we can't even think much about it. It's the right call.

I would prefer 4x5.5 and get him and Bread on the same renewal cadence. Based on the current cap realities, we can be really smart about the windows and the status of the team, understand that by 2025-26, we'll need to actually pay Kakko and Laf and (hopefully) one or two more of the kids, and freeing up 17M+ in one fell swoop (25 if Trouba is still here) is pretty damn helpful for that.

• VINNY! 1

7 minutes ago, G1000 said:

I think if Strome wants that, we have to do it and we can't even think much about it. It's the right call.

I would prefer 4x5.5 and get him and Bread on the same renewal cadence. Based on the current cap realities, we can be really smart about the windows and the status of the team, understand that by 2025-26, we'll need to actually pay Kakko and Laf and (hopefully) one or two more of the kids, and freeing up 17M+ in one fell swoop (25 if Trouba is still here) is pretty damn helpful for that.

I agree, G.  I don't think Strome's extra year will be the back breaker on the kids though.  It's Panarin, Trouba and you may wanna even throw Kreider in there as well with Strome.  But yeah I get your drift on that one.

These guys just need to have a consistently good RWinger plugged into thier duo. Dont know that they cant do better than hunt.

Though my bigger concern would be finding a RW for Zibanejad if they lose Kakko

Edited by Jdog99

8 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

These guys just need to have a consistently good RWinger plugged into thier duo. Dont know that they cant do better than hunt.

Do they?  Seems like they thrive with Fast, Blackwell, and Hunt on their line.  More isn't always better.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.  They excel with a grinder out there.