• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Most Likely to Trade for a Defenseman?

fletch

ESPN article, each team most likely to...

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/32645587/nhl-power-rankings-1-32-poll-plus-team-most-likely-do

'13. New York Rangers

Most likely to trade for a defenseman. And no, it's not because Connor McDavid recently carved through the team like a hot knife through butter. At least not entirely. The Rangers have relied on Igor Shesterkin to win too many games, while their defense corps could use a boost in general. They don't have a single blueliner above 50 in Corsi for percentage or in expected goals for percentage, and they've been giving up too many high-danger looks. Shesterkin can only stop the bleeding for so long.'

• Drew a Penalty changed the title to Article: Rangers Most Likely to Trade for a Defenseman

I mean, OK, but in place of who? I don't see them in the market for a defender at all unless they think they can pull the chute on Nemeth this early. Fox, Trouba, and Lindgren feel locked in. Miller and Lundkvist are still prospects, for the most part, who they're unlikely to bail on before recognizing who they actually are.

So, they're gonna trade for a sixth to replace Nemeth, or a seventh to replace Tinordi? I guess.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, OK, but in place of who? I don't see them in the market for a defender at all unless they think they can pull the chute on Nemeth this early. Fox, Trouba, and Lindgren feel locked in. Miller and Lundkvist are still prospects, for the most part, who they're unlikely to bail on before recognizing who they actually are.

So, they're gonna trade for a sixth to replace Nemeth, or a seventh to replace Tinordi? I guess.

Yeah it feels like a weird take. Especially when you have Jones, Schneider and Robertson in Hartford.

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, CCCP said:

depends if any of the staff sees Chytil as a wing, which IDK.  Chytil didnt look too bad last game, given its a shitty Montreal team

Larry Brooks noted in his latest weekly hit on Duguay's podcast that he thinks the organization views Chytil as a center.

• Phil changed the title to Rangers Most Likely to Trade for a Defenseman?
1 hour ago, siddious said:

Wouldnt mind seeing an upgrade over Tinordi as the extra guy but theres no room here for another defenseman. It would be stupid to limit Lunkvist or Millers time at this point just let them keep developing. 

Unpopular opinion but Nemeth has been fine as a 6th D.

not as much as you think.....

23 minutes ago, Flynn said:

I mean- we have been a collective defense mess at times... But RW, C- hell, back up goalie, seem more pressing.  

This is where being a slave to analytics makes for lazy journalism. 

Bingo!

1 hour ago, siddious said:

Wouldnt mind seeing an upgrade over Tinordi as the extra guy but theres no room here for another defenseman. It would be stupid to limit Lunkvist or Millers time at this point just let them keep developing. 

Unpopular opinion but Nemeth has been fine as a 6th D.

Nemeth is a wall on skates. That's pretty much it. He'll block a ton of shots, but he's an absolute pylon. He's got some of the worst analytics in the NHL right now.

image.png

Just now, Drew a Penalty said:

Nemeth is a wall on skates. That's pretty much it. He'll block a ton of shots, but he's an absolute pylon. He's got some of the worst analytics in the NHL right now.

image.png

As long as I live I’ll never understand what any of these charts are actually saying. 

but 6th dman who’s steady on the defensive side is ok with me. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, siddious said:

As long as I live I’ll never understand what any of these charts are actually saying. 

but 6th dman who’s steady on the defensive side is ok with me. 

It says that he's anything but steady on the defensive side. He produces so few chances while out on the ice with a significant number against.

I struggle with watching Nemeth. It feels like he's constantly getting pinned in the defensive zone and making it more difficult for whoever is out with him. Lundkvist, who has struggled himself, has been left flailing around numerous times because Nemeth did something to leave him out to dry.

9 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

It says that he's anything but steady on the defensive side. He produces so few chances while out on the ice with a significant number against.

I struggle with watching Nemeth. It feels like he's constantly getting pinned in the defensive zone and making it more difficult for whoever is out with him. Lundkvist, who has struggled himself, has been left flailing around numerous times because Nemeth did something to leave him out to dry.

Gotcha- misunderstood what you said.

Serious question... how many teams have "really good" 6th/7th defensemen?

17 minutes ago, Keirik said:

And you can easily make the case that a real checking third line center would help stop bleeding some chances as well. 

11 minutes ago, josh said:

if only we could have seen that need over the summer...

Too bad Getzlaf is entrenched on the West Coast....I think he would've fit like a glove on this team.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I've taken to calling him "Nemeth The Menace."  I hope we can unload him at the deadline.  Gallant has more confidence in him than I do.

The author of the article looks at some stat sheets, as opposed to spending hours watching the team as the posters do, and no posters think a trade for a D man is in the offing at the moment.