• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Bar-Room Brotherhood

Ozzy

4 hours ago, Keirik said:

Well, I like authentic and Americanized. I lived in China for years when I was younger so some authentic dishes are absolutely delicious. 

Don’t think I’ve ever had authentic Chinese food actually- any particular meals that would be good to try? No shell fish (allergic)

19 hours ago, siddious said:

Don’t think I’ve ever had authentic Chinese food actually- any particular meals that would be good to try? No shell fish (allergic)

Singapore rice noodles (i5 has shrimp, beef, pork,  hi ken in it so just ask to omit the shrimp) is a good curry fried thin noodle dish. 
   There are a lot of good healthy dishes like spinach stir fried with garlic or most vegetable dishes, ma po tofu is good if you like a little spicy. A typical dish is something like stir fried egg with tomato, kung pao chicken is a good spicy chicken with peanut (a lot of American Chinese places have this but it’s not the same as if u got it from a real Chinese place).

Peking duck is delicious, any dim sum dumplings are very good especially if you see Shanghai style soup dumplings which are delicious steamed on a cold winter day , Hong Kong style noodles are good. There’s a lot.  I could go on all day lol 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Keirik said:

Singapore rice noodles (i5 has shrimp, beef, pork,  hi ken in it so just ask to omit the shrimp) is a good curry fried thin noodle dish. 
   There are a lot of good healthy dishes like spinach stir fried with garlic or most vegetable dishes, ma po tofu is good if you like a little spicy. A typical dish is something like stir fried egg with tomato, kung pao chicken is a good spicy chicken with peanut (a lot of American Chinese places have this but it’s not the same as if u got it from a real Chinese place).

Peking duck is delicious, any dim sum dumplings are very good especially if you see Shanghai style soup dumplings which are delicious steamed on a cold winter day , Hong Kong style noodles are good. There’s a lot.  I could go on all day lol 

You know any local places that do really fat lo mien noodles?  Almost to the point of Japanese udon?  I saw a spot up in the Vancouver area on DDD that do their own noodles and they're thiiiiiick.  I've been dying to try something like that ever since.

I love Kung Pao chicken, that is good as fuck.  Next time I get Chinese I am definitely going to try the Singapore rice noodles minus the shrimp.  I don't like seafood but I love noodle meals.  Is it a red, green, or yellow curry?

What is inside dim sung dumplings?

I need you to describe these meals because I am all good with trying new things but I am afraid to order something without knowing what it is.  Like I said I love noodle meals so I'll eat anything with beef pork or chicken but I don't do seafood of any kind.

Edited by SaveByRichter35

31 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

You know any local places that do really fat lo mein noodles?  Almost to the point of Japanese udon?  I saw a spot up in the Vancouver area on DDD that do their own noodles and they're thiiiiiick.  I've been dying to try something like that ever since.

I love Kung Pao chicken, that is good as fuck.  Next time I get Chinese I am definitely going to try the Singapore rice noodles minus the shrimp.  I don't like seafood but I love noodle meals.  Is it a red, green, or yellow curry?

What is inside dim sung dumplings?

I need you to describe these meals because I am all good with trying new things but I am afraid to order something without knowing what it is.  Like I said I love noodle meals so I'll eat anything with beef pork or chicken but I don't do seafood of any kind.

Bright Yellow for the Singapore noodles lol. It’s very good. Think wok fried curry flavored lo mein  with a bit thinner noodles. It’s not dripping in sauce. It’s very good though. Think like fried rice but in vermicelli form curry flavored. 

the dim sum dumplings are all different. Literally dim sum just translates to “little treasures” so it’s all sorts of dumplings, steamed buns, etc. the Shanghai ones Usually are pork and chicken mix. They are steamed and literally have a small meatball and soup inside a dumpling. It’s then dipped in a slightly vinegar/soy/ginger sauce and eat. When they are done right and the dumpling isn’t too thick, they are to die for. I’d assume any link I shared above that has them on the menu is going to be great.

As for the stir fried udon

http://www.ancientginger.com is pretty good but I haven’t specifically had their fried udon. Everything else has been okay. I’d think most Japanese places have that. In Selden is http://nishikiny.com which is also pretty good. I know the owner and I’ve had their fried noodles which are good. Looks like they have the fried udon as well. Usually if I’m doing non sushi Japanese, I’d go yakisoba and beef negamaki.  If you haven’t had   Egamaki definitely try that as well. Thin sliced beef rolled around a scallion with teriyaki sauce. 

8 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Bright Yellow for the Singapore noodles lol. It’s very good. Think wok fried curry flavored lo mein  with a bit thinner noodles. It’s not dripping in sauce. It’s very good though. Think like fried rice but in vermicelli form curry flavored. 

the dim sum dumplings are all different. Literally dim sum just translates to “little treasures” so it’s all sorts of dumplings, steamed buns, etc. the Shanghai ones Usually are pork and chicken mix. They are steamed and literally have a small meatball and soup inside a dumpling. It’s then dipped in a slightly vinegar/soy/ginger sauce and eat. When they are done right and the dumpling isn’t too thick, they are to die for. I’d assume any link I shared above that has them on the menu is going to be great.

I am definitely getting the Singapore noodles next time then.  Sounds awesome.  I'll just have to remember to ask to hold the shrimp.

The dim sum sounds amazing.  Fuck going to a bar for a game, let's get lunch!   Sorry @Ozzy lol

As for the stir fried udon

http://www.ancientginger.com is pretty good but I haven’t specifically had their fried udon. Everything else has been okay. I’d think most Japanese places have that. In Selden is http://nishikiny.com which is also pretty good. I know the owner and I’ve had their fried noodles which are good. Looks like they have the fried udon as well. Usually if I’m doing non sushi Japanese, I’d go yakisoba and beef negamaki.  If you haven’t had   Egamaki definitely try that as well. Thin sliced beef rolled around a scallion with teriyaki sauce. 

You misunderstood me.  I didn't mean udon.  I meant lo mien.  The noodles are just very thick, almost like udon.  I have to check my phone to see if I still have a screenshot from that DDD episode lol.

Edited by SaveByRichter35
  • LOL 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, SaveByRichter35 said:

I am definitely getting the Singapore noodles next time then.  Sounds awesome.  I'll just have to remember to ask to hold the shrimp.

The dim sum sounds amazing.  Fuck going to a bar for a game, let's get lunch!   Sorry @Ozzy lol

You misunderstood me.  I didn't mean udon.  I meant lo mean.  The noodles are just very thick, almost like udon.  I have to check my phone to see if I still have a screenshot from that DDD episode lol.

Sounds like you are talking about yakisoba then . It’s basically Japanese lo mein but has a little sweetness to it.  Or is it something all different? Maybe Hakka noodles. Those are also good. Or Dan Dan noodles. Ahhhhhh so many good things lol 

fuck I’m definitely having some fried noodles to,or row of some kind.

3 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Sounds like you are talking about yakisoba then . It’s basically Japanese lo mein but has a little sweetness to it.  Or is it something all different? Maybe Hakka noodles. Those are also good. Or Dan Dan noodles. Ahhhhhh so many good things lol 

fuck I’m definitely having some fried noodles to,or row of some kind.

No it wasn't Japanese food.  It was a Chinese restaurant.  They just make their noodles very thick.

https://vimeopro.com/jbane/sticks-and-stones-productions/video/68788514

http://www.peacefulrestaurant.com/

8 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

No it wasn't Japanese food.  It was a Chinese restaurant.  They just make their noodles very thick.

https://vimeopro.com/jbane/sticks-and-stones-productions/video/68788514

http://www.peacefulrestaurant.com/

Lol I saw that episode.  There is a place in Stony Brook that does handmade noodles called China Station I believe. This is their yelp page. Reviews are all over the place but I’m willing to bet it’s from people that think it’s a hole in the wall or don’t really have much authentic Chinese food. Most of the best places when I lived in China were hole in the wall places lol

https://www.yelp.com/biz/china-station-stony-brook?hrid=KXDilVz62vZDPO-Sfhhf_w&osq=China+station

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

All the best places are holes in the wall.  Definitely giving this place a shot.

Agreed. Right next to that place is Green Tea Restaurant. It’s not a hole in the wall but the Chinese food there is legit. It’s our go to a lot of times.  Very good spicy central Chinese food. That China Station is northern Chinese food. Whole lot of good Chinese food in that area since Stony Brook has such a large Asian population. 

3 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Agreed. Right next to that place is Green Tea Restaurant. It’s not a hole in the wall but the Chinese food there is legit. It’s our go to a lot of times.  Very good spicy central Chinese food. That China Station is northern Chinese food. Whole lot of good Chinese food in that area since Stony Brook has such a large Asian population. 

Yea I noticed that when I was looking it up on Google maps lol

• Applause 1

18 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

You misunderstood me.  I didn't mean udon.  I meant lo mien.  The noodles are just very thick, almost like udon.  I have to check my phone to see if I still have a screenshot from that DDD episode lol.

5 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Fuck I am an idiot.  They all have it in the chow mei fun areas.  I was looking under the Chef's Specials areas.  Ok @Keirikits on tonight lol

You guys enjoy!!  I can't eat Chinese  food while watching hockey...an hour after the game's over I feel like have to watch another one!!  LOL

1 minute ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Yakisoba is Japanese, right?  I've had it in the Marines.  So good.  I assume you go to one of those fusion type restaurants that cook it all?

Japanese yeah. Any place that sells sushi or fusion has it yeah.

pits basically a tad sweeter thinner version of lo mein. Wife likes it. I’ll just eat the Singapore noodles lol