• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Eichel Saga is Finally Over; Traded to Vegas

Phil

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2021/11/04/jack-eichel-trade-ny-rangers-vegas-golden-knights/6281431001/

they legit didn’t trade to us because Pegula didn’t want him in New York lol

Sabres GM Kevyn Adams was willing to engage, but multiple people close to the situation told lohud.com, part of the USA TODAY Network, that Buffalo owner Terry Pegula was against sending his star player downstate. “

Edited by BlairBettsBlocksEverything

11 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

He takes the inferior deal just because he didn't want him playing here? LOL! No wonder Sabres fans can't stand him. Huge whiff.

Happens more often than we think. GMs dont want to get hammered if the deal goes sour and the guy they traded in conference (or, worse, in division) torches his former team. By sending Eichel West, he likely only has to see his face once or twice a year. Not upwards of eight, plus playoffs.

16 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Right, I get that. But in this case, it's a huge moment for Buffalo to help them build their team more and the Rangers have a better talent pool. There's a less of a chance of it going sour. I think building a franchise is more important, but I'm not a hockey executive. 

I don't know that this is true. And that's likely the hang up. The Rangers offering one extra magic bean is still a risk if you're strongly concerned about Eichel torching his old team half a dozen times a year.

The Sabres whiffed pretty hard on the O'Reilly trade, for example. Imagine they had sent him to the Rangers instead of the Blues and he went on to win a Cup? It's disastrous. It's still disastrous given the return, but you can at least sweep it under the rug considering the Blues and Sabres play all but twice a year.

9 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Vegas may have Eichel (sometime in 2022), but at least in the interim, it seems like they are going to have Howden playing a regular shift, which isn't exactly the sign of a contender.

...if they're contending for a McMuffin and some hash browns, they're in!! 

• LOL 1

Love how the NHL will allow VGK to play games with the cap and LTIR as the did with TBL last year. And they will also allow Buffalo to get Boychuk's contract from Isles to pretend they're paying the floor. But it's all about cost certainty and competitive balance, right! More proof salary caps are bullshit. 

Edited by Bugg

29 minutes ago, CCCP said:

i dont understand, how is that possible?  i thought teams had to be under the cap before game 1?

It's cumulative. 

They add up all the available cap space, each day, to determine how much cap space a team has at the end of they season.