• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Eichel Saga is Finally Over; Traded to Vegas

Phil

While the deal is still pending a trade call with the league, TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reports forwards Alex Tuch and Peyton Krebs, a 2022 first-round pick and a third-round pick in 2023 are going back to the Sabres, who will send a 2023 third-round pick along with Eichel to Vegas.

Pending trade call, The @BuffaloSabres trade Jack Eichel and a 2023 3rd round pick, to the @GoldenKnights for Peyton Krebs, Alex Tuch, a 1st in 2022 and a 3rd in 2023.

— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) November 4, 2021

Tuch has not played this season after undergoing shoulder surgery in late July. He was given a six-month timeline for recovery after the operation. The 25-year-old, who is signed at a cap hit of $4.75 through the 2025-26 season, had 18 goals and 33 points in 55 games last season. 

Krebs, 20, is without a point in nine games with the Golden Knights this season. He was selected 17th overall by Vegas in the 2019 NHL Draft. He had one assist in four games with the Golden Knights last season, posting one goal and five points in five AHL games with the Henderson Silver Knights, and 13 goals and 43 points in 24 WHL games with the Winnipeg Ice.

Dreger reports Eichel is expected to have the disc replacement procedure "very soon," with the timeline for recovery expected to see him back on the ice in four months.

The expectation is Eichel will have disc replacement surgery very soon. Recovery time varies. Everyone hopeful he will be back on the ice in 4 months. https://t.co/PzLx7H0jpC

— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) November 4, 2021

With Eichel's injury still untreated, he failed his physical prior to the start of the season and was stripped of his captaincy with the Sabres by general manager Kevyn Adams.

In an effort to speed along a move away from the Sabres, Eichel made a change in representation in September, hiring agent Pat Brisson.

Adams never wanted to send him here. I think that we were Eichels preferred destination, and Adams knew that. And as much as we don’t view the Sabres as a rival, they look at us as one. The fanbase would have been enraged seeing the organization send him to the Rangers. Thus, in order to get him, we would have been paying a super high premium compared to other teams. Because in all sincerity, the Rangers could (and more than likely did) offer packages significantly greater than this. In the end, I think they wanted him as far away as possible. No disrespect to the players involved, but for a package like this to end a saga that was as dramatic as this one was? Underwhelming.

• Phil changed the title to The Eichel Saga is Finally Over; Traded to Vegas
1 hour ago, Valriera said:

And we were out of this why? That is a low low price 

Because there's no retention in the deal, and the Sabres made it painfully clear they had no desire to ever retain. Show me your roster next season with a $10 million Eichel, $8.5 million Zibanejad, $6.5 million Kreider, $8 million Trouba, $9.5 million Fox, $11.6 million Panarin, and $5.6 million Shesterkin.

• Cheers 1

I think when we signed Zibby, it spelled the end of the Eichel deal....now Fox is golden for us as well.

I'm really glad to stay the course with this bunch, and I'm really glad to see this debacle come to a close...Finally!!  Now we can get back what really matters...winning games, and debating who eats more, Phil Kessel or Yukon Cornelius!!  LOL

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

You weren't around for it, I don't think, but I haven't been happier to lock a thread since "ALL Things Sundin."

I heard about the Nash thread too, from the guys...But this one was like herpes!!  LOL

Edited by Ozzy

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Because there's no retention in the deal, and the Sabres made it painfully clear they had no desire to ever retain. Show me your roster next season with a $10 million Eichel, $8.5 million Zibanejad, $6.5 million Kreider, $8 million Trouba, $9.5 million Fox, $11.6 million Panarin, and $5.6 million Shesterkin.

If you’re saying there is not a deal to be made for someone to eat the roughly 4m this would take then I don’t believe you. 

anyway good for Vegas and good for eichel really who ar least will get to move past this debacle. He and Buffalo fans were the real losers here

Nope. Sundin. Old school. We spent like three months of the season (September – early December) scratching our necks, fiending for morning reports about what way the wind was blowing on Sundin before he finally signed with the Canucks. It was so fucking painful.

• LOL 1

2 minutes ago, Valriera said:

If you’re saying there is not a deal to be made for someone to eat the roughly 4m this would take then I don’t believe you. 

anyway good for Vegas and good for eichel really who ar least will get to move past this debacle. He and Buffalo fans were the real losers here

Your ability to conjure up some sequence of events that it "could" happen doesn't matter. The Sabres made it expressly clear they had no desire to retain.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Nope. Sundin. Old school. We spent like three months of the season (September – early December) scratching our necks, fiending for morning reports about what way the wind was blowing on Sundin before he finally signed with the Canucks. It was so fucking painful.

I remember this well because I know someone who worked with Sundin's former agent and they were telling me that Sundin was only using NY as leverage and no intention of playing here, but that clown .99 kept saying "Sundon to NY is done"...That guy also said he kept a tape of every Rangers game and rewatched them all 3-4 times after the game was played.

Suffice to say I believed nothing he said.