• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Filip Chytil Problem

Kevin

His points/game has improved every season. .31 as a rookie, .38 in 2nd season and .52 in the COVID-shortened third season. That said, I can't say he's been more impactful each year he's played. He certainly has skill, but like many have said he doesn't use his teammates. He needs someone to feed him the puck, and tbh someone like Lafreniere might be a good partner in that. Even his advanced stats have him as a mediocre player. 

There's something there, but it's not what we need on the third line. Even if it's a "scoring" line or "skilled" line, we already have two of those and need a third line that can win by grinding down opponents. We don't need more of the same because that's what's been our biggest issue the past three years. When we don't get our way and other teams don't let us play our game, we crumble. Chytil adds to that, he doesn't fix it.

Edited by Xander

I’m on the fence with Chytil.

I see people’s issue with him. And in reality, it almost feels like an inevitability that whenever the Rangers do make a Rangers-esque trade for someone that he will be one of the main pieces out of the organization.

But, I think that because we have gotten lucky with the lottery the last few years, plus had a year where we had 3 picks in the 1st Round, that we almost forget just how young this kid is because he’s been around for a few years now.

I really don’t know what to add that hasn’t been said on both sides. It’s a tough call.

9 hours ago, Xander said:

His points/game has improved every season. .31 as a rookie, .38 in 2nd season and .52 in the COVID-shortened third season. That said, I can't say he's been more impactful each year he's played. He certainly has skill, but like many have said he doesn't use his teammates. He needs someone to feed him the puck, and tbh someone like Lafreniere might be a good partner in that. Even his advanced stats have him as a mediocre player. 

There's something there, but it's not what we need on the third line. Even if it's a "scoring" line or "skilled" line, we already have two of those and need a third line that can win by grinding down opponents. We don't need more of the same because that's what's been our biggest issue the past three years. When we don't get our way and other teams don't let us play our game, we crumble. Chytil adds to that, he doesn't fix it.

If you have 3 scoring lines and one grinding line.. why do you need the 3rd line to grind anything out? That gives one of your 3 scoring lines a favorable matchup against other teams lower lines.. 

Like Josh say, spread everything out. Combine the size and grit on a line, but make sure the size can play. We have Kreider and Blais to use that way. Just need to find the right combination.  I just fear that the organization thinks Goodrow is that player. I've yet to see it. 

Personally I'm underwhelmed by Chytil in every way. He had a short burst last year that was impressive but he plays the game like he's 150 lbs. He can't win a draw and because he doesn't play "a man's game" as Gallant put it, I just have a hard time seeing what his ceiling is.

Maybe he will become a 2C. But he looks a lot like Anisimov who was fine but never blossomed. He's not strong enough to play the 3rd line role and not skilled enough to play the 2nd. 

Anisimov had a fine career. But there's a reason he's out of the league at 32. 

• Applause 2

12 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

Personally I'm underwhelmed by Chytil in every way. He had a short burst last year that was impressive but he plays the game like he's 150 lbs. He can't win a draw and because he doesn't play "a man's game" as Gallant put it, I just have a hard time seeing what his ceiling is.

Maybe he will become a 2C. But he looks a lot like Anisimov who was fine but never blossomed. He's not strong enough to play the 3rd line role and not skilled enough to play the 2nd. 

Anisimov had a fine career. But there's a reason he's out of the league at 32. 

Anisimov was at least a strong defensive player. Chytil plays one type of game and has one use.

If I had to guess, Chytil definitely fits the mold of a short term Ranger who will be shipped out in the next major trade the Rangers make for a significant piece. Feel the same way with him as I did with someone like Dubinsky. Not comparing styles; just comparing the fact I never really saw Dubinsky as someone who would spend his whole career here and was on borrowed time until the right deal at the right time popped up. Back in the day, and the old time guys here can remember this, every single trade rumor with the Rangers involved Dubinsky. Rumors about Heatley? Dubinsky. Rumors about Richards? Dubinsky. Rumors about Nash? Dubinsky. I feel it’s similar here, and will be until the right deal comes along and Chytil is involved.

Just a hunch.

Edited by RichieNextel305

Im so envious when I watch other teams and see their prospects doing amazing things. There is something broken with the NY Rangers. Every prospect is always so... flat. Can't develop for shit here.

This is certainly do or die for Chytil in my opinion. The guys been around long enough to distinguish himself as at least a rising prospect if not a solid player and he has done neither. 

12 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Anisimov was at least a strong defensive player. Chytil plays one type of game and has one use.

And that's really my point with him.  What does he do if he's not getting on the score sheet?  He doesn't fit this team.  

39 minutes ago, siddious said:

Im so envious when I watch other teams and see their prospects doing amazing things. There is something broken with the NY Rangers. Every prospect is always so... flat. Can't develop for shit here.

This is certainly do or die for Chytil in my opinion. The guys been around long enough to distinguish himself as at least a rising prospect if not a solid player and he has done neither. 

I feel the same and I've come to the conclusion that I've always overvalued our prospects.  I'm not doing that any more.  They need to prove it first before I give them value.   You have to go pretty far back to find a player that we drafted that turned out to be an all-star for us.  I think Kreider, drafted in 2009, was the last one.  Before him, was it Mike York?  The list is almost non-existent.

Edited by Kevin

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I feel the same and I've come to the conclusion that I've always overvalued our prospects.  I'm not doing that any more.  They need to prove it first before I give them value.   You have to go pretty far back to find a player that we drafted that turned out to be an all-star for us.  I think Kreider, drafted in 2009, was the last one.  Before him, was it Mike York?  The list is almost non-existent.

Drafts are a crapshoot. Thats why you accumulate a million picks when you're rebuilding. You're basically hoping to get one NHL player out of a draft. So yeah, in a way picks are more valuable than the prospects selected with them. 

10 minutes ago, Kevin said:

4 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

Drafts are a crapshoot. Thats why you accumulate a million picks when you're rebuilding. You're basically hoping to get one NHL player out of a draft. So yeah, in a way picks are more valuable than the prospects selected with them. 

Aside from anything else, I just don't know how to think about the fact that we got gifted a number two on a number one overall, and those were the consensus picks, and they're still not very good. 

No one could say we've been off the board like we did with Anderson and VK.

How are all the scouts so wrong about Laf and Kakko?

19 minutes ago, Kevin said:

An argument can be made for Buch who is the last player that was successfully developed here (unless you count Igor- but goalies are their own thing)

But yea- I agree with the rest. No more "high draft pick" or "played well in xyz league" ... doesnt mean shit anymore.

13 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

While this is true, whats not a crapshoot is the 1st and 2nd OA picks usually and those havent exactly panned out. Read that as "I'm not giving up or shitting on laf or kakko but they certainly havent looked good enough to be 1 & 2 picks"

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Aside from anything else, I just don't know how to think about the fact that we got gifted a number two on a number one overall, and those were the consensus picks, and they're still not very good. 

No one could say we've been off the board like we did with Anderson and VK.

How are all the scouts so wrong about Laf and Kakko?

Exactly. Too many guys not meeting expectations, performing, and developing here for this to be a drafting issues. Its a development and man management issue. 

To see Chytil try and gain the zone between the defender and the boards and being rubbed out EVERY TIME since he's been a Ranger is really frustrating. He came in as a great skater but he picked up bad skating habits last season and now into this one. His board work improved but that's about it. He needs to skate hard and fast and show some handling ability. I am guilty of thinking he would play more of a mans game this season and start to break out a bit. Too many lazy shifts with no impact on the games. I haven't totally given up on him but he really needs to show more. 

1 minute ago, CBrowningPI said:

To see Chytil try and gain the zone between the defender and the boards and being rubbed out EVERY TIME since he's been a Ranger is really frustrating. He came in as a great skater but he picked up bad skating habits last season and now into this one. His board work improved but that's about it. He needs to skate hard and fast and show some handling ability. I am guilty of thinking he would play more of a mans game this season and start to break out a bit. Too many lazy shifts with no impact on the games. I haven't totally given up on him but he really needs to show more. 

This has really been a Ranger issue more than a Chytil one for years now. The panarin line is the only one that gets a pass on this becuase Panarin is skilled enough to skate it in and some how not automatically lose possession. I was hoping Gallant would address this team-wide but its still a bit of an issue with the guys who were here before. Maybe in time.

Just now, Pete said:

I actually think taking the puck wide is something he does well. He certainly doesn't take it up the gut at all.

He's pretty dangerous off the rush, but that's it.

I agree he CAN do it well. I disagree in that he doesnt always do it very well. The skill is there but as I said with Panarin unless you are going to do something with it you shouldnt try it. 

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

I actually think taking the puck wide is something he does well. He certainly doesn't take it up the gut at all.

He's pretty dangerous off the rush, but that's it.

Kakko is a good example of taking the puck wide. He pushes through for a half hit and takes control of the puck again. Chytil comes to a dead stop with no foward momentum., giving up the puck in the process. 

4 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Chytil seems to score most of his goals on the rush down the right wing.

Still think his best bet to make an impact is as a right wing.

Agreed.  That's when he looks his most dangerous.  I expect that Gallant will take a few more games and then make that adjustment.  

26 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Goodrow wins faceoffs at least.

I could see them trying Chytil with Kreider and Zibanejad.

Leaving Lafraniere with Goodrow & Blais.

That actually might work better RJ.  I know you're not the biggest Chytil fan and I think @RichieNextel305 pretty much summed up what I was thinking, but I promised I was going to let Chytil play some more games under Gallant, and with new linemates before I grease the skids for his ass.

So far I haven't seen a lot of progress, other than what @Petesaid about him playing off the rush...who knows maybe he and Kreider could work that better with his speed and CK driving to the net, maybe Chytil would be a better fit there.

It's only been 7 games, but that shit's gonna get old fast if we don't see something by mid-season.

2 hours ago, ThirtyONE said:

You have to have higher expectations on top 10 picks, naturally,  both on the player and management 

2 minutes ago, shestYORKin said:

this is interesting. I don’t hate it either. 

Kakko back in action...that's a good line there...

Blais is a wrecking ball...if he can get pucks to Yukon and Chytil, or cause some turnovers, those 2 should be able get some chances off transition with their speed and ability.

• Like 1