• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Are Reilly Smith or Jonathan Marchessault on Rangers, Gallant's Radar?

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
Can he play center?

EDIT: He's taken 58 career face-offs in 10 NHL seasons. So he doesn't exactly fit unless a piece is going out.

First thought was Ryan Strome, who was linked to Vegas already, but that leaves them down another center when what everyone wants is better center depth, so I have no idea.

First thought was Ryan Strome, who was linked to Vegas already, but that leaves them down another center when what everyone wants is better center depth, so I have no idea.

I'd imagine it's if we trade Kravtsov, since our top-9 is pretty set with this depth chart (not lines, just depth):

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Kakko

Panarin-Strome-Kravtsov

Kreider-Chytil-Goodrow

Do we move Chytil up to 2C and shift Goodrow to 3C? Does losing Strome and adding Smith make us better? I don't think so. Smith is also a UFA at the end of the year. I guess if it came in tandem with an Eichel acquisition...

This one I definitely don't understand as we just traded a RW presumably to clear cap space for 2022-2023 where we need to resign a few people, and where Smith still is under contract for another year.

Smith is a UFA after this coming season.

Still - this doesn't make sense unless you're sending a top 9 wing elsewhere.

Smith is a UFA after this coming season.

Still - this doesn't make sense unless you're sending a top 9 wing elsewhere.

Best guess? It's contingent on Eichel. Kravtsov in the Eichel deal triggers Strome-for-Smith. Smith, with one year left, is a stop-gap at RW, or a potential short-term plug while they bolster the ranks again.

Lafreniere - Zibanejad - Kakko

Kreider - Eichel - Smith

Or...hard curveball here, but we have cap space and Vegas doesn't. Perhaps they're interested in a guy like Gauthier, or would just as soon pay us for the room.

They're lining up as:

Pacioretty-Karlsson-Stone

Marchessault-Krebs(I guess?)-Dadonov

Smith's no longer a fit, especially once Tuch is healthy.

I think Gallant really has to get some time ith our current roster before any more trades that involve losing a guy rated high internally. I'd get it for Eichel since he's a known superstar even though i don't want him. I dont think we need to move just to aquire Vegas guys right now. We have a decent mix. Don't over do it.

We also have a glut of defensemen and I think if we're moving prospects, it needs to be from our position of strength and not where we lack. Sure we have more wingers than centers but we have more legit defensemen than forwards combined.

I could see Phil's scenario on moving for Eichel. Or I could see it if we're flipping Chytil, moving Goodrow to 3C and then move Kravtsov to 3RW so there's not as much pressure to produce.

I think Gallant really has to get some time ith our current roster before any more trades that involve losing a guy rated high internally. I'd get it for Eichel since he's a known superstar even though i don't want him. I dont think we need to move just to aquire Vegas guys right now. We have a decent mix. Don't over do it.

Where the line for this? ....I'm in!!

• 3 months later...

Yeah, probably time to bump this. I know @Keirik briefly mentioned him again in another target thread, but this is beginning to feel like an inevitability in the wake of the Blais news. I've no idea what it'll take to pull off, but part of me wants to pump and dump Gauthier in the deal. Play him on the top line for a few games to try and push his value up?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• Phil changed the title to Are Reilly Smith or Jonathan Marchessault on Rangers, Gallant's Radar?

Need a bigger pump to turn him into anything but a JAG. If LV is looking for more than that it doesn't matter where we play the guy. How many chances did he blow on that single shift early on out front last game to even get a good shot?

If they're looking for a salary dump for a pulse Gauthier could be involved.

19 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah, probably time to bump this. I know @Keirik briefly mentioned him again in another target thread, but this is beginning to feel like an inevitability in the wake of the Blais news. I've no idea what it'll take to pull off, but part of me wants to pump and dump Gauthier in the deal. Play him on the top line for a few games to try and push his value up?

Yeah, once Vegas acquired Eichel they basically told the ho key would they need to dump two salaries if he sees the ice at all this year.  

47 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Yeah, once Vegas acquired Eichel they basically told the ho key would they need to dump two salaries if he sees the ice at all this year.  

I haven't looked at their cap, but my guess is maybe just one? Cap hits are prorated, so $10 million Eichel isn't actually $10 million this season.

56 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

Need a bigger pump to turn him into anything but a JAG. If LV is looking for more than that it doesn't matter where we play the guy. How many chances did he blow on that single shift early on out front last game to even get a good shot?

If they're looking for a salary dump for a pulse Gauthier could be involved.

That's my thinking, too. Gauthier, salted and peppered to taste, for Smith. Rangers don't have to worry about retention. He's maybe/probably a rental.

• Cheers 1