• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers' Protection List Released; Blackwell, Gauthier, DeAngelo, Kinkaid Exposed

Phil

Rooney over Blackwell… don’t like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on the current makeup of the team, I guess it makes more sense to keep a traditional 4th line guy.

No offense to Blackwell, but I'd rather see any of the kids get the playing time in the top 9.

Surprised to see Rooney over Blackwell but it makes sense. One of them would likely be Seattle’s selection and with Howden now gone, the fourth line center role is most likely Rooney’s. He’s a more than capable fourth liner so I’m happy they’re keeping him. He’s part of the solution not the problem. Blackwell isn’t beating out any of the options at center or right wing next season.
  • Like 1

Surprised to see Rooney over Blackwell but it makes sense. One of them would likely be Seattle’s selection and with Howden now gone, the fourth line center role is most likely Rooney’s. He’s a more than capable fourth liner so I’m happy they’re keeping him. He’s part of the solution not the problem. Blackwell isn’t beating out any of the options at center or right wing next season.

This.

This is amazing news for a guy like Blackwell you can’t help but be happy for him. He’s given himself an opportunity to get a real chance to play big minutes over there. Look at what happened in Vegas to guys like Karlsson and Reilly Smith. I hope he gets picked and the back half of his career takes off. Those guys are full value for their 4-5m and Blackwell has a chance to put that together for himself now. Hard to imagine saying that if you’re him this time last year

This is amazing news for a guy like Blackwell you can’t help but be happy for him. He’s given himself an opportunity to get a real chance to play big minutes over there. Look at what happened in Vegas to guys like Karlsson and Reilly Smith. I hope he gets picked and the back half of his career takes off. Those guys are full value for their 4-5m and Blackwell has a chance to put that together for himself now. Hard to imagine saying that if you’re him this time last year

If you havent seen his Spittin Chicklets interviews, its a good one. The natural centerman story is hilarious.

Starts around 1:20 or so.

I think Gauthier is absolutely their pick. The connective tissue with Francis is hard to ignore.

I don't remember the timing was he there when they basically cut bait and stopped any chance of him making the jump to the Hurricanes from within?

If you lose Rooney, you spend the whole summer looking for another Rooney at a more expensive number. Solid 4c, does what you need a 4c to do.

If you lose Blackwell, you wish him well and bump Kravtsov up.

Makes sense to me.

My thinking was that Barron is the 4c so not much looking really. Blackwell was better than Rooney. It is what it is though.

My thinking was that Barron is the 4c so not much looking really. Blackwell was better than Rooney. It is what it is though.

Blackwell is not a fourth line player tho. I think he’s top two or maybe even top three wing or bust.

I don't remember the timing was he there when they basically cut bait and stopped any chance of him making the jump to the Hurricanes from within?

No. Francis was fired at the end of the 2017-18 season; the Gauthier trade was at the 2019-20 TDL