• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Believed to be Asking for a First-Round Pick for Georgiev

Phil

I like Drury keeping the asking price high...fuck it, why not?? Why give him away?

You never know...

What's more is that even if we get a 2nd rounder, or even a 3rd, I'd take it.

This. Ask high and negotiate to whats an acceptable return.

with that said.. I know he had a bad season but we have all seen how good he can be too. Goalies are enigmas, how many goalies suck hard at times and then play lights out at other times? I would also like to point out that Shesty may have had decent numbers but looked like absolute dog shit in front of this team a number of times last season too. I am not against trading Georgiev but improve the team and suddenly both goalies will improve too I think.

I also dont see Kinkaid as an improvement over Georgiev but that may not be the plan anyway.

I would like to see Drury to re-stock the goal-tending cupboard this draft (not sure if any good ones are available) because after Igor there doesn't seem to be much promise left.

with that said.. I know he had a bad season but we have all seen how good he can be too. Goalies are enigmas, how many goalies suck hard at times and then play lights out at other times? I would also like to point out that Shesty may have had decent numbers but looked like absolute dog shit in front of this team a number of times last season too. I am not against trading Georgiev but improve the team and suddenly both goalies will improve too I think.

I also dont see Kinkaid as an improvement over Georgiev but that may not be the plan anyway.

I would like to see Drury to re-stock the goal-tending cupboard this draft (not sure if any good ones are available) because after Igor there doesn't seem to be much promise left.

Yeah, I think this is right. Georgiev is a 24 year old goalie that at least has been NHL-caliber in front of a largely poor defense. I can understand a team that has no expectations for a lower end 1st taking a swing on that. Looking at you, Colorado...

I disagree with your take on restocking the cupboards. We should be taking the same approach as we did with Lundqvist - draft guys we think can be strong backups/fringe starters or bring in undervalued backups. We have our guy in Shesterkin, and we actually have okay goalie depth in the system. Huska and Wall are probably career backups with fringe start opportunities - but that's what we need. Garand projects as a starter. Ollas and Lindbom are wildcards, but Ollas has the size to be a Ben Bishop kind of goalie. Just keep taking those later round flyers on keepers.

Yeah, I think this is right. Georgiev is a 24 year old goalie that at least has been NHL-caliber in front of a largely poor defense. I can understand a team that has no expectations for a lower end 1st taking a swing on that. Looking at you, Colorado...

I disagree with your take on restocking the cupboards. We should be taking the same approach as we did with Lundqvist - draft guys we think can be strong backups/fringe starters or bring in undervalued backups. We have our guy in Shesterkin, and we actually have okay goalie depth in the system. Huska and Wall are probably career backups with fringe start opportunities - but that's what we need. Garand projects as a starter. Ollas and Lindbom are wildcards, but Ollas has the size to be a Ben Bishop kind of goalie. Just keep taking those later round flyers on keepers.

Totally forgot abotu Ollas- I was thiking Lindbom is the only with potential and obviously this is all based on what I have read but hes no sure thing either.

I only say this because Shesterkin has been here like 45 seconds and hes been hurt a couple of times already- good to have something in the barrel just in case.

In Allaire I trust.

Totally forgot abotu Ollas- I was thiking Lindbom is the only with potential and obviously this is all based on what I have read but hes no sure thing either.

I only say this because Shesterkin has been here like 45 seconds and hes been hurt a couple of times already- good to have something in the barrel just in case.

In Allaire I trust.

Yeah - just trust Allaire here. And trust that the Rangers will continue their near 20 year streak of pulling quality goalies out of a hat.

I think the idea of asking for a first is basically a way of saying, we like him here, we dont anticipate trading him, but if someone wants to throw a first our way, fine.

If a team DOES really like him and think he can be starting goalie or at least 1a calibre, he is on a very cheap deal for that kind of goalie. so who knows, maybe someone does

Minnesota might lose one of their goalies to seattle and they have 2 firsts (pittsburgh's) which they might be willing to part with to ensure they have a cost-controlled goalie they think they can rely on

I think the idea of asking for a first is basically a way of saying, we like him here, we dont anticipate trading him, but if someone wants to throw a first our way, fine.

If a team DOES really like him and think he can be starting goalie or at least 1a calibre, he is on a very cheap deal for that kind of goalie. so who knows, maybe someone does

Minnesota might lose one of their goalies to seattle and they have 2 firsts (pittsburgh's) which they might be willing to part with to ensure they have a cost-controlled goalie they think they can rely on

There are a lot of bad goalies in starting roles so who knows. Why not add one more? GM's are dumb.

You never know what someone will say yes to unless you ask.. Never lead with what you will accept, lead with what would knock your socks off.

I'd say that depends how much you want to move the player. A reported ask can be too high where other GMs don't bother calling at all. This isn't Jack Eichel. It's a backup goalie.

I'd say that depends how much you want to move the player. A reported ask can be too high where other GMs don't bother calling at all. This isn't Jack Eichel. It's a backup goalie.

I'm going to circle back to my earlier post - there's actually solid value in knowing you can acquire and extend Georgiev right now and get through the flat cap era with him at 2-2.5M given his past performance.

I don't know if it's 1st round pick value, but that's a GMs call, not mine.

Drury comes off to me as a shrew fuck. I liked him as a player too. The guy's just got a knack for success. So far I like what I see and read about him.

I worked with a guy that played with him growing up (his older brother was a constant on his teams, but he was a year younger so they played a lot together). He always said how cold & dry Drury's personality was (similar to an executive at the company), but said he was smart and funny. He really praises him on the leadership aspect though, said he was one of those guys everyone listened to, immediately got the respect of the room. As for business, he said "I wouldnt want to be on the other end" but says he hopes that [sort of] stubbornness doesn't get in the way either.

Any time I get worried, I send him a text and he usually has something good to say (and he's the epitome of a disgruntled Rangers fan)

I worked with a guy that played with him growing up (his older brother was a constant on his teams, but he was a year younger so they played a lot together). He always said how cold & dry Drury's personality was (similar to an executive at the company), but said he was smart and funny. He really praises him on the leadership aspect though, said he was one of those guys everyone listened to, immediately got the respect of the room. As for business, he said "I wouldnt want to be on the other end" but says he hopes that [sort of] stubbornness doesn't get in the way either.

Any time I get worried, I send him a text and he usually has something good to say (and he's the epitome of a disgruntled Rangers fan)

I think we're all disgruntled sometimes, josh!! :rofl:

But yeah, man....I like the business touch he has so far. He's like a shrewd poker player.

I really think he's had more to do with this current roster than I originally thought. I also like that he's seemingly a "hands on" GM....so far anyway.

Shesty reminds me of Jonas Hiller. He'll keep you in games and is confident, but he's not going to steal anything for you.

Shesty reminds me of Jonas Hiller. He'll keep you in games and is confident, but he's not going to steal anything for you.

I think you put shesty in front of a good team and he won’t give you a reason to lose. I agree, he’s not like Hank, won’t steal games. Hope I’m wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's hope Shesterkin can replicate what he's done his entire career.

Last season with the Rangers is the first time he's lost more than 5 games a season since 2015 in the VHL when he was 16-6-3 and still put up 1.19 & .954

Other than with the Rangers, he hasn't had a GAA above 2 since that same year when playing in the KHL.