• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Christian Dvorak

I think if you bring in Dvorak, it's as a 3c with a 2c "trial". If he can replace Strome, problem solved. If not, he's a perfectly good mid-six player at a rate that roughly connects with his output.

or the Rangers give up Chytil, Jones and a pick and Dvorak puts up less points than Chytil, plays worse defensively than Strome, and now Strome signed with the Islanders for 4x5m.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotcha.

I'm just very wary of the thinking that 50 point players will become 70 point players "in NY". It pretty much never happens, which is why I wouldn't bet on Dvorak, and when it does I don't want away quickly, like Strome.

I feel like we're on the same page with Strome. He's criminally underrated by the fanbase. But the Rangers are looking to do something at center. Their top two Cs have a similar skillset, play similar positions on the PP, and neither win faceoffs (which is a huge problem). Obviously Zib is leaps and bounds better than Strome but they're a similar-ish player. Dvorak on the other hand, wins draws, kills penalties, and plays a rugged game in front of the net on the PP. If we're going to have two solid PP units (which every good NHL team should) he would help differentiate a little.

All this is said with the context that they're interested in Eichel, right? If they weren't interested in upgrading at center, none of this is even a consideration. So say Eichel comes in. Strome has to go no matter what. Then, next season Mika and Eichel can't both fit so Mika has to go. Now, next season you've got Eichel and... Chytil, I guess? And no one else (assuming Chytil isn't traded, because if he is, you literally only have one center).

You bring Dvorak in here, you can keep Strome. Then next season you can have options. Maybe you can keep all three centers if you dump Kreider and some others. If not, you still have a solid 1-2 if Strome is too expensive. Chytil as 3C (against assuming he's not traded).

I just think Dvorak gives the team a million options at the end of the season and, obviously, doesn't require us to raid the prospect pantry.

Speaking of wishful thinking, Strome only getting 5M on next contract. Even I would sign him for that. I would put odds of that happening well below 5%.

It's a worst case scenario.

I still dont know how theyll fit any contract, though...

I feel like we're on the same page with Strome. He's criminally underrated by the fanbase. But the Rangers are looking to do something at center. Their top two Cs have a similar skillset, play similar positions on the PP, and neither win faceoffs (which is a huge problem). Obviously Zib is leaps and bounds better than Strome but they're a similar-ish player. Dvorak on the other hand, wins draws, kills penalties, and plays a rugged game in front of the net on the PP. If we're going to have two solid PP units (which every good NHL team should) he would help differentiate a little.

All this is said with the context that they're interested in Eichel, right? If they weren't interested in upgrading at center, none of this is even a consideration. So say Eichel comes in. Strome has to go no matter what. Then, next season Mika and Eichel can't both fit so Mika has to go. Now, next season you've got Eichel and... Chytil, I guess? And no one else.

You bring Dvorak in here, you can keep Strome. Then next season you can have options. Maybe you can keep all three centers if you dump Kreider and some others. If not, you still have a solid 1-2 if Strome is too expensive. Chytil as 3C.

I just think Dvorak gives the team a million options at the end of the season and, obviously, doesn't require us to raid the prospect pantry.

I mean, they can probably afford Strome-Dvorak-Chytil down the middle, better than they would Zibanejad - Dvorak - any 3C

Speaking of wishful thinking, Strome only getting 5M on next contract. Even I would sign him for that. I would put odds of that happening well below 5%.

He has another season like his last and he's the most sought-after free agent of the 2022-23 offseason. There is literally no way he takes 5M unless he's handshaked a Ranger for Life thing.

It's a worst case scenario.

I still dont know how theyll fit any contract, though...

Me neither. I understand why they wanted guys like Goodrow and Reaves, but between the 2 it's over 5 million. Combined with Shesterkin at a rumored 5.5-6M, higher than expected AAVs incoming from Fox and Zibanejad, raises to Kakko, Kravtsov, and possibly Blais, the cap is going to get really tight starting next offseason. Then hit again the following offseason with Lafreniere, Miller, and Chytil if still here.

Another thing to consider.

You'd be transitioning from:

Strome (72) / Blackwell (39) and Strome (69) / Fast (34)

to (theoretically)

Dvorak / Kravtsov

Dvorak isn't going to put up worse numbers playing with Panarin. Even if Dvorak stays a 50 point player, I think its a safe bet that Kravtsov has the ability to make up the difference.

If the line is Panarin-Strome-Krav this year, and Strome goes over a ppg in a contract year, there's no way they be able to afford him.

Well... of course. They could afford Stepan down the middle too, but why would they do that? The idea is to have a #1 center.

I think the idea is to have someone that plays the 1C role that best fits the team.

Dvorak was extremely successful playing with Marner and Tkachuck in junior hockey.

Strome put up more points than Point during the regular season.

You dont think Dvorak could do something similar to Cirelli's 22 points in 50 games?

Zibanejad could be that 1C with all the other boxes checked... but at that price... you can fill all the 1C & 2C boxes with Strome + Dvorak when you factor in the wingers theyll be playing with. (yes, I'd like more size an pizazz, but theres also a salary cap to deal with)

I think the idea is to have someone that plays the 1C role that best fits the team.

Dvorak was extremely successful playing with Marner and Tkachuck in junior hockey.

Strome put up more points than Point during the regular season.

You dont think Dvorak could do something similar to Cirelli's 22 points in 50 games?

Zibanejad could be that 1C with all the other boxes checked... but at that price... you can fill all the 1C & 2C boxes with Strome + Dvorak when you factor in the wingers theyll be playing with. (yes, I'd like more size an pizazz, but theres also a salary cap to deal with)

That's interesting but it's near impossible to make that call without having all three centers here for a season. That would also be a very hard sell to Dolan and the fans -- unless you get Dvorak here and see how it plays out.

That's interesting but it's near impossible to make that call without having all three centers here for a season. That would also be a very hard sell to Dolan and the fans -- unless you get Dvorak here and see how it plays out.

kinda like the Zibanejad deal?

(which, honestly, the Rangers have been terrible since)

Me neither. I understand why they wanted guys like Goodrow and Reaves, but between the 2 it's over 5 million. Combined with Shesterkin at a rumored 5.5-6M, higher than expected AAVs incoming from Fox and Zibanejad, raises to Kakko, Kravtsov, and possibly Blais, the cap is going to get really tight starting next offseason. Then hit again the following offseason with Lafreniere, Miller, and Chytil if still here.

I think - right or wrong - the brass doesn't see Strome as a long term solution and expect Chytil to take his spot over the course of the year barring a trade we can't pass up.

kinda like the Zibanejad deal?

(which, honestly, the Rangers have been terrible since)

Like I said, if you get Dvorak here, you have a lot of options next summer. You're not forced to sign anyone to huge money. I could be swayed in letting Mika walk and retaining Strome depending on how Dvorak plays. I'm not anxious to sign Mika to a 10x8 deal.

But you gotta get him here first - and I think my point in bringing this back up is that they should be going after Dvorak, not Eichel.

Who said he's getting $5? I have him at $6M. Fair and doable.

All this is said with the context that they're interested in Eichel, right? If they weren't interested in upgrading at center, none of this is even a consideration. So say Eichel comes in. Strome has to go no matter what. Then, next season Mika and Eichel can't both fit so Mika has to go. Now, next season you've got Eichel and... Chytil, I guess? And no one else (assuming Chytil isn't traded, because if he is, you literally only have one center).

You bring Dvorak in here, you can keep Strome. Then next season you can have options. Maybe you can keep all three centers if you dump Kreider and some others. If not, you still have a solid 1-2 if Strome is too expensive. Chytil as 3C (against assuming he's not traded).

Fair enough, good points here.

Who said he's getting $5? I have him at $6M. Fair and doable.

It's fair, but it's not doable for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

For '22-'23:

Zib @ 9.5

Fox @ 9.5

Kakko @ 3

Kravtsov @ 2.25

Blais re-upped @ 1.5

Shesterkin @ 5.75

Backup Goalie: 750k (if we're lucky)

'22-'23 roster

Lafreniere - Zib - Kakko

Panarin - Chytil - Kravtsov

Kreider - Goodrow - Blais

Hunt - Barron - Reaves

Cuylle (just an example, cheap 850k reserve)

Lindgren - Fox

Miller - Trouba

Nemeth - Lundkvist

Tinordi

Shesterkin

Huska?

Max Cap: $81,500,000

Cap Hit: $81,225,635

And they still have to make room for performance bonuses.

The only solution is Kreider or Trouba must be moved out. And the money you free up there is probably better used to potentially lock Kakko or Kravtsov for longer than a 2 year bridge.

For '22-'23:

Zib @ 9.5

Fox @ 9.5

Kakko @ 3

Kravtsov @ 2.25

Blais re-upped @ 1.5

Shesterkin @ 5.75

'22-'23 roster

Lafreniere - Zib - Kakko

Hunt - Barron - Reaves

Lindgren - Fox

Miller - Trouba

Nemeth - Lundkvist

Tinordi

Shesterkin

Huska?

The only solution is Kreider or Trouba must be moved out. And the money you free up there is probably better used to potentially lock Kakko or Kravtsov for longer than a 2 year bridge.

You've got a few other options for creating space - Nemeth, Lindgren, Chytil - probably your plan C group, but they're choices. Further, we're clear of big performance bonuses after next season.

I think I said it before but the Rangers really are going to be tight if they want a bonafide superstar at C contract wise. With a hart candidate, Norris winner, Trouba already under contract, and thr young guys that are labeled "can't miss" you really are going to be up against it if you want a top flight C contract. If Strome takes a friendly deal to remain in NY for quite a while, I'd rather find a second 2c type guy to round out the lineup affordable than blow the bank on Ziby/Eichel so a Dvorak has some sense to it.

You've got a few other options for creating space - Nemeth, Lindgren, Chytil - probably your plan C group, but they're choices. Further, we're clear of big performance bonuses after next season.

I'm not looking, but if memory serves me right, Lafreniere and Miller combined would account for over 3 mill in potential bonuses. Mostly because Lafreniere.

I'm not looking, but if memory serves me right, Lafreniere and Miller combined would account for over 3 mill in potential bonuses. Mostly because Lafreniere.

3.3 or so total. Hitting all the A bonuses for the both of them would be a total of 1.6M on top.

As for Lafreniere - if he wants his big bonus, he has to be in one of the below buckets (h/t PuckPedia)

-Forwards: Top Ten in NHL Forward Goals, Assists, points, or points per game (min 42 GP)

-Win any of the following trophies: Hart, Selke, Richard, Conn Smythe, Norris

-1st or 2nd team All-Star

If he hits those....good problem to have. I don't think that feels likely just yet.

3.3 or so total. Hitting all the A bonuses for the both of them would be a total of 1.6M on top.

As for Lafreniere - if he wants his big bonus, he has to be in one of the below buckets (h/t PuckPedia)

If he hits those....good problem to have. I don't think that feels likely just yet.

I forgot how the bonuses work exactly. It was a big problem last year. I thought after bonuses are earned, they can only be over the cap a certain percentage, or they get rolled over to the following season or something

I forgot how the bonuses work exactly. It was a big problem last year. I thought after bonuses are earned, they can only be over the cap a certain percentage, or they get rolled over to the following season or something

Yep, that's right. We're out of bonus or highly unlikely to be in large bonus for a good deal of the kids. The only one who might really hit us hard hard is Fox, and he's done after this season. Would not be shocked at all to see Drury maintain 4M or so of space this season to make sure we're covering all the bonus needs.

For '22-'23:

Zib @ 9.5

Fox @ 9.5

Kakko @ 3

Kravtsov @ 2.25

Blais re-upped @ 1.5

Shesterkin @ 5.75

'22-'23 roster

Lafreniere - Zib - Kakko

Hunt - Barron - Reaves

Lindgren - Fox

Miller - Trouba

Nemeth - Lundkvist

Tinordi

Shesterkin

Huska?

Most recent stats to go on

Zibanejad 56GP, 24G, 26A, F/O% 46%. Age: 28

Landeskog 54GP, 20G, 32A, F/O% 57%. Age: 28

Landeskog got 7m AAV why does anyone think just b/c a report came out about what Zib wants means he’s getting it? He is getting 7-8 or won’t be here anymore.

Cap increase likely only to be 1m so put that at $82.5 not $81.5. Speculating the Rangers next years cap is just that speculation anything can happen.

Most recent stats to go on

Zibanejad 56GP, 24G, 26A, F/O% 46%. Age: 28

Landeskog 54GP, 20G, 32A, F/O% 57%. Age: 28

Landeskog got 7m AAV why does anyone think just b/c a report came out about what Zib wants means he’s getting it? He is getting 7-8 or won’t be here anymore.

Cap increase likely only to be 1m so put that at $82.5 not $81.5. Speculating the Rangers next years cap is just that speculation anything can happen.

in 19-20 Zib scored 41 goals and 1.32 ppg in 57 games.

in 20-21, once he finally got over COVID, he scored 21 goals and 1.32 ppg in the final 31 games of the season.

and he still has this year, a contract year, where he has a very real shot at putting up 50+ goals and 100+ points.