• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Christian Dvorak

Time to bump this one up with what the Coyotes are doing, Dvorak is starting to make the most sense imo, his contract takes Strome cap space in the next 3-years after 21-22. as coyotes in full "re-build" he's surely available, you go into the year with Strome and if we suck we have maybe one of the most valuable pieces at the deadline. (Maybe even Georgiev to Coyotes+picks/mid tier prosects)

Panarin-Strome-Krav

Laf-Zib-Kakko

Chytil-Dvorak-Kreider

Goodrow-Rooney-Blais

Gauthier

Lindgren-Fox

Miller-Trouba

Nemeth-Lundkvist

7th

Shesterkin

Backup

after adds/RFAs/Trade i see us sitting at about 5-6mil in cap space.

I like the bump, but it doesn't make enough sense to slot Strome in the lineup and lose him for nothing to me.

Strome to Ottawa or wherever for assets. Forward the assets plus extra to Arizona for Dvorak. Between Chytil and Dvorak, hope you've got a guy who can manage the 2C position. You at least know Dvorak can manage 3C pretty easily, so worst case is you have to look for a 2C...which we have to anyway.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be Kreider-Dvorak-Goodrow in this case, but I've no idea why you would get him (or how) while keeping Chytil. The point would be to upgrade your 3C spot with a more reliable forechecking center (Dvorak) in place of Chytil.

Yes and no. I suggested Chytil+ in the initial post for discussion, but it'd be nice to have both and see if one can't take the 2C spot by the horns. Kind of have a hard time seeing Arizona ship Dvorak out without getting a young Center or a Center prospect back, but maybe you can start talking '22 1st/Jones/X for Dvorak and one of their 2nds or something. I'm sure they'd like to start converting draft capital to 1st round quality.

Dvorak has the skill set that would allow him to play with skilled players - which is important to changing the overall homogeneity of the team. Stock piling the grit is downgrading on skill, while spreading out what's needed most - playing big.

I still feel like Dvorak would be a Strome replacement once/if Chytil progresses closer to a 2C

I’d actually be okay with this move he wins draws so there is that and is cost effective for four seasons. It’s a downgrade on offense for sure but if you planned on walking away from Strome…..

He’s a pretty small player though and I’m not sure would thrive in our division but who knows. It still would be a gamble.

I'm seeing a lot of suggestions for 3C's for a board that was overwhelmingly sure that Goodrow was our 3rd line center based on the money he was paid.

Not I, and im just for Dvorak, i feel we should be after Dvorak or a player like him and his cap hit to replace Strome, before Strome is gone. I don't know why anyone thinks we're getting something like a top tier center for Strome, picks... if we were it would of already happened before the draft.

Not I, and im just for Dvorak, i feel we should be after Dvorak or a player like him and his cap hit to replace Strome, before Strome is gone. I don't know why anyone thinks we're getting something like a top tier center for Strome, picks... if we were it would of already happened before the draft.
It's mostly the people who keep saying to trade Strome who also don't have any very good option to replace Strome.

Dvorak would be a gamble. You're hoping he finds himself in NY like Strome did... But then why replace what you know works? Cost control would be an answer but since no one at all knows what Strome would take to stay in NYC, it's all just smoke.

• 2 weeks later...

All right, well, I want to revisit this move instead of going all out for Jack Eichel for a number of reasons. This isn't the same player, obviously, but as a Strome replacement it works and might actually work better.

Firstly, you're not bringing in a contract that you can't afford in a year. Dvorak makes roughly the same as Ryan Strome at 4.45 AAV. The only difference is he's 3 years younger and on the books for another 4 seasons. Ryan Strome is due a raise at the end of the season and considering he'll be paired with Panarin again, you can book him for 60-70 points which will probably net him something around 6.5m x 6 years.

Second, Dvorak, while not putting up the same point totals as Strome, does have a similar career trajectory in that he's a highly touted player on a piss poor team and could benefit from playing with some real NHL talent.

Third, he plays net front on the PP, kills penalties, wins a vast majority of his faceoffs (52% last season and 55% in both prior seasons).

I don't know what PHX is looking for, but you could bring in Dvorak without trading Strome, plop him on the 3rd line for a year and see what happens. He fits under the cap right now and would add incredible depth to the team. Next season, instead of choosing between Jack or Mika, you sign Mika and choose between Christian and Strome (hell, maybe Strome decides to take a home team discount, who knows).

Fourth, the cost to acquire him will not break the bank like Eichel will. We can move one or two of our D prospects with a 1st and get the deal done. No Krav, no Kakko, no Lafreniere, no Lundqvist.

To me, the more I think about this move, the more I think this is the way to go. We don't really need Eichel. We need center depth. And this guy could be the answer.

Just send Arizona our 2 second round picks.

It's mostly the people who keep saying to trade Strome who also don't have any very good option to replace Strome.

Dvorak would be a gamble. You're hoping he finds himself in NY like Strome did... But then why replace what you know works? Cost control would be an answer but since no one at all knows what Strome would take to stay in NYC, it's all just smoke.

In addition to the cost control, I like the faceoff improvement it would bring. You always say not everyone can play with superstars. Yes its junior hockey, but looking at the numbers Dvorak-Marner-Domi/Tkachuk put up you'd think he could hang with Panarin.

All right, well, I want to revisit this move instead of going all out for Jack Eichel for a number of reasons. This isn't the same player, obviously, but as a Strome replacement it works and might actually work better.

Firstly, you're not bringing in a contract that you can't afford in a year. Dvorak makes roughly the same as Ryan Strome at 4.45 AAV. The only difference is he's 3 years younger and on the books for another 4 seasons. Ryan Strome is due a raise at the end of the season and considering he'll be paired with Panarin again, you can book him for 60-70 points which will probably net him something around 6.5m x 6 years.

Second, Dvorak, while not putting up the same point totals as Strome, does have a similar career trajectory in that he's a highly touted player on a piss poor team and could benefit from playing with some real NHL talent.

Third, he plays net front on the PP, kills penalties, wins a vast majority of his faceoffs (52% last season and 55% in both prior seasons).

I don't know what PHX is looking for, but you could bring in Dvorak without trading Strome, plop him on the 3rd line for a year and see what happens. He fits under the cap right now and would add incredible depth to the team. Next season, instead of choosing between Jack or Mika, you sign Mika and choose between Christian and Strome (hell, maybe Strome decides to take a home team discount, who knows).

Fourth, the cost to acquire him will not break the bank like Eichel will. We can move one or two of our D prospects with a 1st and get the deal done. No Krav, no Kakko, no Lafreniere, no Lundqvist.

To me, the more I think about this move, the more I think this is the way to go. We don't really need Eichel. We need center depth. And this guy could be the answer.

Just send Arizona our 2 second round picks.

In addition to the cost control, I like the faceoff improvement it would bring. You always say not everyone can play with superstars. Yes its junior hockey, but looking at the numbers Dvorak-Marner-Domi/Tkachuk put up you'd think he could hang with Panarin.

I'd give them Chytil and a 2nd and slot him on the third line and see what he does with that. If Strome wants too much, then walk away. I don't think we need to make more moves to get younger, so age doesn't really do much for me. Cost control and faceoffs are the reason to do it.

He spent some time with Kessel and Keller, didn't really do much with that, but it was also at the end of the season and I don't watch the Yotes, so can't really say.

it’s a shrewd move. Dvorak could be considered an extension of Strome without giving Strome his raise next year. the upside is you could easily afford Mika without Eichel and won’t end up like Toronto with 4 players eating up $40mil of cap next year. the big gamble is if Dvorak can actually come in >50pts on this team and hopefully grow to something north of a 70pt 2C in the window. it’s a rather large ask.

otherwise just let Strome be Strome at 6.5 on his next deal and continue to develop Chytil, who I forget daily is STILL ONLY 21YRS OLD.

I'd give them Chytil and a 2nd and slot him on the third line and see what he does with that. If Strome wants too much, then walk away. I don't think we need to make more moves to get younger, so age doesn't really do much for me. Cost control and faceoffs are the reason to do it.

He spent some time with Kessel and Keller, didn't really do much with that, but it was also at the end of the season and I don't watch the Yotes, so can't really say.

Yep. I would too. He didn't have a coming out party like Danault but he's a similar player. I'm not sure why Drury would make an offer to one but not the other.

The cap has changed since I made the original post. They can no longer afford Dvorak as a potentially longer term 3C if he cannot elevate his game to 2C. You bring him here, he needs to be in a position to show he is a 2C, and I'm not sure giving him 12 min a night on the 3rd line is going to do that. A bit more risky now, because if you trade for him he is your 2C for the next several years, for better or worse. At the same time, we can't afford Strome's next contract either so they need to just make an educated leap of faith, whether it's Chytil, Dvorak, or someone else who is a good deal cheaper than Strome's next deal.

The cap has changed since I made the original post. They can no longer afford Dvorak as a potentially longer term 3C if he cannot elevate his game to 2C. You bring him here, he needs to be in a position to show he is a 2C, and I'm not sure giving him 12 min a night on the 3rd line is going to do that. A bit more risky now, because if you trade for him he is your 2C for the next several years, for better or worse. At the same time, we can't afford Strome's next contract either so they need to just make an educated leap of faith, whether it's Chytil, Dvorak, or someone else who is a good deal cheaper than Strome's next deal.

We don't know this.

We don't know this.

No, but we can reasonably assume it's going to be in that 'danger zone' of potentially being a luxury they can't afford. Hard to accurately project, but based on his year-to-year growth, he's probably a $5M~ player after this two-year extension expires.

No, but we can reasonably assume it's going to be in that 'danger zone' of potentially being a luxury they can't afford. Hard to accurately project, but based on his year-to-year growth, he's probably a $5M~ player after this two-year extension expires.

Do you think you're getting a 65 point 2nd line center for less than that?

Doubt we see players like Kakko get expensive deals with term and guys like Geo and Lindgren who make a combined $5.5 can be replaced by cheaper contracts/ELCs. It's doable. It's even more doable if you can move Trouba or Kreider before guys like Laf and Kravtsov need to be paid. You really just need to find $5M to take care of Strome and Zib ($1.5 for Strome and $3.5 for Z bringing them to $6M and ~9M respectively).

Doubt we see players like Kakko get expensive deals with term and guys like Geo and Lindgren who make a combined $5.5 can be replaced by cheaper contracts/ELCs. It's doable. It's even more doable if you can move Trouba or Kreider before guys like Laf and Kravtsov need to be paid.

Oh, if you move bodies, yes. What I'm saying is the team largely remaining as-is, he's in a tight spot.

Doubt we see players like Kakko get expensive deals with term and guys like Geo and Lindgren who make a combined $5.5 can be replaced by cheaper contracts/ELCs. It's doable. It's even more doable if you can move Trouba or Kreider before guys like Laf and Kravtsov need to be paid. You really just need to find $5M to take care of Strome and Zib ($1.5 for Strome and $3.5 for Z bringing them to $6M and ~9M respectively).

Responding to your update: I think that depends a lot on what kind of rapid progress Laf and Krav can make, but agree in principle. Problem is, if you pay Chytil, who is probably a winger at this point, you might end up in a Buch-like situation where he ends up falling down the lineup as those guys do get paid. Like Kreider did.

Responding to your update: I think that depends a lot on what kind of rapid progress Laf and Krav can make, but agree in principle. Problem is, if you pay Chytil, who is probably a winger at this point, you might end up in a Buch-like situation where he ends up falling down the lineup as those guys do get paid. Like Kreider did.

Lot of variables, my point is that you can kick this can down the road past 22-23 season and worry then. Just be careful with your trade protection.

I see us saying we're in a position to compete in the playoffs based on these moves, downgrading at 2C isn't really ideal. If you want to make a move it has to be an upgrade and at this point, what's the cost?

Agreed. But I think the fact they were in as deep as they were with Danault, and the fact Eichel won't go away says everything about the front office's vision re: contention. Load-bearing centers are absolutely critical, and they'll sacrifice at wing (hi, Buch) to pay them if need be. If Chytil is a wing by then, he may fall victim to the same outcome.