• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Could the Rangers Trade for Ryan Reaves?

Lord Al

Blake Coleman doesn't make the team tougher. He's a pest and a competitor but I don't know if he's ever been in a fight with actual punches thrown in the NHL. He a really good player and much better than Reeves or Goodrow. He's a great penalty killer and can score 20 goals easily for you. He will hardly ever throw a "big" hit but he will always play with grit and high energy. He's way over qualified for fourth line duty and he will paid as such. Reeves is a fourth line goon nothing more. Goodrow is probably the prototypical fourth line guy in todays hockey. He can fight a little, has size, can skate and plays the body. He probably isn't playing much special teams and he's not going to fight up the score sheet. He helps with toughness and he can play somewhere in your bottom six. Reeves fourth line only. Coleman can play anywhere in your lineup.

I think the NHL has disposed of the old enforcer. A pest/competitor who grinds it out, plays with grit and energy, and throws a hit here and there is NHL toughness these days. Coleman not being a fighter isn't a problem in that regard.

The bigger problem with Coleman is that he's probably going to end up getting 4m+ on the open market with his two rings and consistent 2nd line numbers, which probably makes him a nonstarter for the Rangers.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the NHL has disposed of the old enforcer. A pest/competitor who grinds it out, plays with grit and energy, and throws a hit here and there is NHL toughness these days. Coleman not being a fighter isn't a problem in that regard.

The bigger problem with Coleman is that he's probably going to end up getting 4m+ on the open market with his two rings and consistent 2nd line numbers, which probably makes him a nonstarter for the Rangers.

I used to think this as well, G man...but after watching the shit that Wilson got away with and the subsequent "fine" he got for doing it, I took that translation as "You better police this yourselves as a team".

Reaves type enforcers aren't employed for their production, like Phil said. They're employed as an insurance policy. Eye for an eye kinda thing. They don't "Stop" the other team's asshat from doing things, they make them think twice...and sometimes I believe that's all you need to deter a situation that might erupt.

Very few guys wanna go with a guy like Reaves...or Martin. They know they're putting their careers on the line if they get hit hard enough....it's like having that big watch dog in the front yard. Theives will pick an easier target/team. ;)

I used to think this as well, G man...but after watching the shit that Wilson got away with and the subsequent "fine" he got for doing it, I took that translation as "You better police this yourselves as a team".

Reaves type enforcers aren't employed for their production, like Phil said. They're employed as an insurance policy. Eye for an eye kinda thing. They don't "Stop" the other team's asshat from doing things, they make them think twice...and sometimes I believe that's all you need to deter a situation that might erupt.

Very few guys wanna go with a guy like Reaves...or Martin. They know they're putting their careers on the line if they get hit hard enough....it's like having that big watch dog in the front yard. Theives will pick an easier target/team. ;)

When was the last time anything like that happened in the NHL, let alone to the Rangers? A decade ago with Gaborik?

People are over rotating on one incident. And you know who's not going to stop that from happening again? Ryan Reeves. You know how I know? Cuz I already saw Wilson take a Knight player's head off and then fight Reeves after.

Wilson is a complete and 100% non-issue. They need players to go up against the Islanders in a series, what they don't need is to go and pay and give a roster spot to somebody who may or may not stop something that never happens from happening again.

When was the last time anything like that happened in the NHL, let alone to the Rangers? A decade ago with Gaborik?

People are over rotating on one incident. And you know who's not going to stop that from happening again? Ryan Reeves. You know how I know? Cuz I already saw Wilson take a Knight player's head off and then fight Reeves after.

Wilson is a complete and 100% non-issue. They need players to go up against the Islanders in a series, what they don't need is to go and pay and give a roster spot to somebody who may or may not stop something that never happens from happening again.

He's not a non-issue. If he was, the follow-up game wouldn't have been a fight-filled affair. But I agree it's silly to bend over backwards to try addressing it. Wilson is a unicorn and will remain one much longer than Reaves (or most Reaves-like options) will remain in the league. If they pick up someone to throw him a beating once or twice a year, cool, but I'm not going out of my way to address it so long as the team beefs up more generally so they don't get run out of the arena against the Islanders, Hurricanes, and Bruins like they did on the reg this season.

He's not a non-issue. If he was, the follow-up game wouldn't have been a fight-filled affair. But I agree it's silly to bend over backwards to try addressing it. Wilson is a unicorn and will remain one much longer than Reaves (or most Reaves-like options) will remain in the league. If they pick up someone to throw him a beating once or twice a year, cool, but I'm not going out of my way to address it so long as the team beefs up more generally so they don't get run out of the arena against the Islanders, Hurricanes, and Bruins like they did on the reg this season.

It's a non issue for the 2021-2022 season. I don't really care what happened the last game. I don't think anyone is going into next season thinking they need to get their pound of flesh. It's over.

Sure, until something similar happens again, but like I said, I think we mostly agree here. I'm much more concerned with beefing up the roster in general to play better physical hockey than I am adding a mercenary to punch Wilson in the face a few times a year.

What happened in those Isles games was significantly more embarrassing than what happened with Wilson and the game that followed (which I'd argue wasn't embarrassing at all, but admirable).

Sure, until something similar happens again, but like I said, I think we mostly agree here. I'm much more concerned with beefing up the roster in general to play better physical hockey than I am adding a mercenary to punch Wilson in the face a few times a year.

What happened in those Isles games was significantly more embarrassing than what happened with Wilson and the game that followed (which I'd argue wasn't embarrassing at all, but admirable).

Right, we mostly agree. I'm just saying, for the bolded...We waited for 10 years for "something similar" to Gaborik. You know why the Wilson narrative made news across the league? Because shit like that really never happens. It's total "man bites dog". I'm not worried about something like that happening any time soon.

Yup, no disagreement here. Incredibly rare, especially in the modern NHL where goons are all but extinct.

But even if it did happen again, building a big team that can skate AND defend itself is the ideal composition to being capable of responding. It's really old, but remember Shanahan's fight with Brashear? Held his own. Wouldn't want him doing it regularly, but he was able to because he was no shrinking violet, and that had a rub off effect on the guys around him on the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hear ya, Pete...The Wilson situation is a totally rare thing...I gotcha. I'm just a believer in taking care of business at home. I'd rather have a player that can drop the mitts, and also play effectively on a 4th line.

Believe me, man...I hear you 100%, and it's like focusing on the exception and not the rule...maybe because I grew up in the era of the "tough guy". It doesn't have to be Ryan Reaves...but a player that can be a little bit more of a watchdog until these kids get their manhood under them a little more.

I thought it was disheartening to watch our division rivals be tougher than us?

Yup, no disagreement here. Incredibly rare, especially in the modern NHL where goons are all but extinct.

But even if it did happen again, building a big team that can skate AND defend itself is the ideal composition to being capable of responding. It's really old, but remember Shanahan's fight with Brashear? Held his own. Wouldn't want him doing it regularly, but he was able to because he was no shrinking violet, and that had a rub off effect on the guys around him on the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, Phil said it better than I did.

Thanks Chief! This is where I'm at too. :thumbs:

I think everyone here does agree with beefing up throughout the lineup and not so much as having to go get a Reeves. That said as long as Phil Diguissepe and Howden types take up roster spots I will gladly have a Reeves occupying one of those spots instead. Doesn't mean he has to play more than 20 games a year but I'd rather waste a spot on him than on a guy that brings nothing to the team.

Also I think it's long past time to stop thinking about building a team to respond to the Wilsons or the Islanders and instead build a team that those teams need to react to. Why not build a team that can dictate the physical play instead of just trying to employee enough guys so we don't get embarrassed? This team looked flat out intimidated parts of last season. You are never winning anything as long as that remains part of the DNA of this team. Wouldn't it be nice to be the intimidator? It still has a large place in hockey. It has nothing to do with fighting. It has to do with finishing every hit and making opponents pay the price for every inch of ice. This isn't about Reeves but he'd at least have a role compared to Howden or Diguissepe

I think everyone here does agree with beefing up throughout the lineup and not so much as having to go get a Reeves. That said as long as Phil Diguissepe and Howden types take up roster spots I will gladly have a Reeves occupying one of those spots instead. Doesn't mean he has to play more than 20 games a year but I'd rather waste a spot on him than on a guy that brings nothing to the team.

Also I think it's long past time to stop thinking about building a team to respond to the Wilsons or the Islanders and instead build a team that those teams need to react to. Why not build a team that can dictate the physical play instead of just trying to employee enough guys so we don't get embarrassed? This team looked flat out intimidated parts of last season. You are never winning anything as long as that remains part of the DNA of this team. Wouldn't it be nice to be the intimidator? It still has a large place in hockey. It has nothing to do with fighting. It has to do with finishing every hit and making opponents pay the price for every inch of ice. This isn't about Reeves but he'd at least have a role compared to Howden or Diguissepe

That's exactly the goal. My goal, at least. Because if you build your club the right way (Lightning), you can dictate play regardless of your opponent. Playing the Isles or Bruins and they want to get physical and rough in every scrum? We're game. Want to play high-powered, high-flying offense? We're game there, too.

That's exactly the goal. My goal, at least. Because if you build your club the right way (Lightning), you can dictate play regardless of your opponent. Playing the Isles or Bruins and they want to get physical and rough in every scrum? We're game. Want to play high-powered, high-flying offense? We're game there, too.

We have this to the letter right now, in my opinion....

That's why I keep thinking we're closer to where we need to be than I think....maybe 2 players.

...and no DiGuisseppe...he makes my balls itch! :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
13. Ryan Reaves

Right Wing, Vegas Golden Knights

Contract: 1 year remaining at $1.75 million

Scoop: If you have a Tom Wilson problem, Reaves is your solution. The belief is the Rangers have been interested in the presence Reaves brings to the ice. After starring on the Strip for parts of the last four seasons, moving Reaves would provide the Golden Knights with a little more salary cap flexibility, as well.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/trade-targets-will-seth-jones-be-the-first-to-move/