• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Could the Rangers Trade for Ryan Reaves?

Lord Al

Ritchie + Ritchie

Practically the same but much younger and cheaper.

Not sure Reaves or Lucic want to come to NY just to be fighters at this point in their careers. Neither can be relied on for their hockey, at this point. Would love to have them, but I think it’s a few years too late for this pair.

I'm sad that I know nothing about these Ritchie boys. If your description is accurate, then sign me up.

Should I be scouring the internet looking for videos?

What's the cost in trade?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sad that I know nothing about these Ritchie boys. If your description is accurate, then sign me up.

Should I be scouring the internet looking for videos?

What's the cost in trade?

I mean, older brother Brett is your younger Reaves. He's probably not an everyday NHL player, although he played in 32 last season. 6'4. 220. UFA. Currently THE heavyweight in Calgary, even with Lucic (and "light heavyweight" Matt Tkachuck). He came into the league with some pretty high aspirations to be a top power forward and had some good seasons in the AHL after being drafted, but ended up more a fighter in the NHL. Could probably still show some ability, but lack of speed and defensive play limit his minutes. Still a much better player than anything we saw from Brashear, Orr, Asham, etc here. UFA, very cheap.

Younger bro Nick is 25 and slightly smaller at 6'2 but an everyday player. A 3rd liner, easily with upside. Physical, fights, goes to the net, hits, tone settter. He's a RFA, most likely exposed via expansion so will come pretty cheap via trade. Didnt PK in Boston, but has in the past. Had a high ceiling when drafted 10th overall in 2014. Salary could range, depending on how someone feels about him, I'd say 2.5m, probably not more than that. He's had fights against guys like Goodrow and came out on top.

I mean, older brother Brett is your younger Reaves. He's probably not an everyday NHL player, although he played in 32 last season. 6'4. 220. UFA. Currently THE heavyweight in Calgary, even with Lucic (and "light heavyweight" Matt Tkachuck). He came into the league with some pretty high aspirations to be a top power forward and had some good seasons in the AHL after being drafted, but ended up more a fighter in the NHL. Could probably still show some ability, but lack of speed and defensive play limit his minutes. Still a much better player than anything we saw from Brashear, Orr, Asham, etc here. UFA, very cheap.

Younger bro Nick is 25 and slightly smaller at 6'2 but an everyday player. A 3rd liner, easily with upside. Physical, fights, goes to the net, hits, tone settter. He's a RFA, most likely exposed via expansion so will come pretty cheap via trade. Didnt PK in Boston, but has in the past. Had a high ceiling when drafted 10th overall in 2014. Salary could range, depending on how someone feels about him, I'd say 2.5m, probably not more than that. He's had fights against guys like Goodrow and came out on top.

What we have to realize when we see these players as potential losses for nothing (getting drafted) to their team, we also have to realize that teams need to expose someone, and that someone needs to be appealing to Seattle, so that they stay away from other potential draftees.

A guy like Ritchie has expansion player written all over him. I don't know who Boston would fear losing . Haven't looked that roster over.

This was discussed on Vince Mercogliano's podcast when he was talking to a Knights beat reporter regarding Gallant.

Could he be a potential target that Gallant pushes for?

Not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, I'd like to see Wilson try his bullshit next year with Reaves in the lineup. On the other, it sounds like a bringing in Brashear 2.0 when we were desperate for toughness

Only one year left and not a big cap hit (1.75 cap hit, 2.125 actual salary)

Thoughts?

Reaves, like any enforcer, isn't stopping Wilson from doing anything. But he's much more likely to force Wilson to pay for it, which can have a morale-boosting affect on the team.

And as has been said over and over by pretty much every former player, when you have a guy in the lineup who can battle for you, it emboldens you as a skill player. Rangers were scared shitless when Trouba got hurt against the Islanders. They got runover from start to finish and had no one to stand in there and return the favor. That doesn't mean fighting, that just means throwing some hits of their own and proving that they can hang with a heavy team like that.

And as has been said over and over by pretty much every former player, when you have a guy in the lineup who can battle for you, it emboldens you as a skill player. Rangers were scared shitless when Trouba got hurt against the Islanders. They got runover from start to finish and had no one to stand in there and return the favor. That doesn't mean fighting, that just means throwing some hits of their own and proving that they can hang with a heavy team like that.

Right. It's a mentality. Look at Tampa. Look at every scrum when Point is on the ice. He takes no shit without giving it right back. Hard to do that when basically your entire roster turtles at the invitation for violence.

Right. It's a mentality. Look at Tampa. Look at every scrum when Point is on the ice. He takes no shit without giving it right back. Hard to do that when basically your entire roster turtles at the invitation for violence.

This....exactly!

It's infectious, too. When you've got guys on your team dragging you into the fight, it can do wonders in changing the perception of your team overall. Again, the Lightning. The Islanders. The Bruins. Not everyone on these clubs is some knuckle-dragging neanderthal, eager to acquire CTE as early as possible in their lives. But just about everyone on their clubs will instinctually push back. Because everyone around them is doing the same.

The Rangers are, by and large, shrinking violets. Add a few guys who really aren't and I think we'll be shocked at how much more empowered some of their fanciest types will play and behave between whistles.

• Like 1

We joke about Howden here a lot, but Reaves could not even score as much as Howden during the regular season. If we expect Rooney/Barron/Di Guiseppe/Gauthier to make up that production or surpass it, I see your argument.

When Montreal stifled Vegas offensively, Reaves wasn't even dressed for 2 games. Can't enforce from the press box.

1 mil investment may not be the worst option, but there could be more in FA.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

We joke about Howden here a lot, but Reaves could not even score as much as Howden during the regular season. If we expect Rooney/Barron/Di Guiseppe/Gauthier to make up that production or surpass it, I see your argument.

When Montreal stifled Vegas offensively, Reaves wasn't even dressed for 2 games. Can't enforce from the press box.

Yeah I don't think Reaves is the answer either.

It's infectious, too. When you've got guys on your team dragging you into the fight, it can do wonders in changing the perception of your team overall. Again, the Lightning. The Islanders. The Bruins. Not everyone on these clubs is some knuckle-dragging neanderthal, eager to acquire CTE as early as possible in their lives. But just about everyone on their clubs will instinctually push back. Because everyone around them is doing the same.

The Rangers are, by and large, shrinking violets. Add a few guys who really aren't and I think we'll be shocked at how much more empowered some of their fanciest types will play and behave between whistles.

Your first paragraph illustrates precisely why Reeves should not be someone we're targeting.

Find the next Maroon.

Like I said earlier:

You're not bringing him in for production. You're bringing him in for his leadership and his fists. In the same way that you slam the idea of acquiring a one-trick pony, the same logic applies the other way, too. Signing the next Voros to get his ass handed to him every time he "fights" isn't effectively filling any quota either. It's checking a box to check a box, knowing you're doing the worst possible job of it.

The bit about Vegas being stifled offensively is even farther off the mark. It's like me saying "when the Islanders couldn't score a goal, where was their third-pairing defender!? That's not his job. Just like it's not Reaves' job. It's Pacioretty's job. Stone. Karlsson, etc. The guys who were basically all held completely off the score sheet(s). So of course Reaves isn't changing that.

Yeah I don't think Reaves is the answer either.

Your first paragraph illustrates precisely why Reeves should not be someone we're targeting.

Find the next Maroon.

Sure — I'm not dead set on Reaves. I'm after types of players, not specific ones. Find whoever works, fits the cap situation, age requirements, etc.

Shit, just sign Maroon. He's a free agent again. Or any of the likely cap casualties that'll come out of Tampa — Goodrow, Coleman, etc.

Like I said earlier:

You're not bringing him in for production. You're bringing him in for his leadership and his fists. In the same way that you slam the idea of acquiring a one-trick pony, the same logic applies the other way, too. Signing the next Voros to get his ass handed to him every time he "fights" isn't effectively filling any quota either. It's checking a box to check a box, knowing you're doing the worst possible job of it.

The bit about Vegas being stifled offensively is even farther off the mark. It's like me saying "when the Islanders couldn't score a goal, where was their third-pairing defender!? That's not his job. Just like it's not Reaves' job. It's Pacioretty's job. Stone. Karlsson, etc. The guys who were basically all held completely off the score sheet(s). So of course Reaves isn't changing that.

Sure — I'm not dead set on Reaves. I'm after types of players, not specific ones. Find whoever works, fits the cap situation, age requirements, etc.

Shit, just sign Maroon. He's a free agent again. Or any of the likely cap casualties that'll come out of Tampa — Goodrow, Coleman, etc.

Goodrow and Coleman can produce and move up and down the lineup. But they'll definitely want more AAV and term than 36 yr old Reaves.

Goodrow and Coleman can produce and move up and down the lineup. But they'll definitely want more AAV and term than 36 yr old Reaves.

Sure will. But they’re much more useful than Reaves, who would very much be a Martin/Wilson counter more than a regular player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Goodrow and Coleman have nothing to do with Reeves. You bring in Reeves for totally different reasons than either of those guys.

Reeves does a lot of stupid shit. That wasn't tolerated here. Players who took aggressive penalties and started stuff were frowned upon. Why this fascination with this goon? Because he's the last of that type of player?

I'm fine with these types of players, but Reeves carries baggage. Once he puts a Ranger jersey on, he will be easy picking for refs and the league to come down on.

You want this guy, please don't complain when he pulls a Wilson or loses his cool and does something horrible like slamming a pen....... you know.

Goodrow and Coleman have nothing to do with Reeves. You bring in Reeves for totally different reasons than either of those guys.

Not totally different. They help fast track the toughness on the team, same as Reaves, but I agree he's a genuine heavyweight. They aren't.

Reeves does a lot of stupid shit. That wasn't tolerated here. Players who took aggressive penalties and started stuff were frowned up. Why this fascination with this goon? Because he's the last of that type of player?

I'm fine with these types of players, but Reeves carries baggage. Once he puts a Ranger jersey on, he will be easy picking for refs and the league to come down on.

You want this guy, please don't complain when he pulls a Wilson or loses his cool and does something horrible like slamming a pen....... you know.

How effective can a player that plays himself out of a lineup be? If you're ok with under 10 min ice time avg, it's fine, we didn't want Kravtsov playing 4th line mins anyway.

Not totally different. They help fast track the toughness on the team, same as Reaves, but I agree he's a genuine heavyweight. They aren't.

Blake Coleman doesn't make the team tougher. He's a pest and a competitor but I don't know if he's ever been in a fight with actual punches thrown in the NHL. He a really good player and much better than Reeves or Goodrow. He's a great penalty killer and can score 20 goals easily for you. He will hardly ever throw a "big" hit but he will always play with grit and high energy. He's way over qualified for fourth line duty and he will paid as such. Reeves is a fourth line goon nothing more. Goodrow is probably the prototypical fourth line guy in todays hockey. He can fight a little, has size, can skate and plays the body. He probably isn't playing much special teams and he's not going to fight up the score sheet. He helps with toughness and he can play somewhere in your bottom six. Reeves fourth line only. Coleman can play anywhere in your lineup.